↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Who is going to buy it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 13 of 13 <123 ... 111213
Print this entire topic · 
Philip

United Kingdom 
The Defender can have two locking differentials - the huge benefit being that they can both partially lock, or unlock, to the required amount, too. In objective engineering terms how do a separate chassis and solid axles benefit anything? A separate chassis is just cheaper and far less stiff, and cross-axle articulation is down to spring rate.
Post #907711 14th Jun 2021 12:24am
ResGuy68

United States 
Those are solid points to push back on.

My experience hase been that BOF has generally made access, customization and repair much easier than comparable unibody offerings. The axels, transmissions and associated suspension systems have also been more robust. Robustness may be a function of the added "room" available in many BOF SUVs or it may simple be that those components have not been as much a priority in the unibody vehicles which I have seen.

Just because I haven't seen it done before doesn't mean it cannot be done. If Land Rover was able to pull it off, kudos to them. My bias is anchored by too many torn-up Subarus.

I will be the first to admit that unibody offerings are safer, allow for improved on-road handling, and are nice tools for improved mileage aerodynamic layouts. However, there are few categorical "bests at everything" when it comes to design tradeoffs. The fact that the body on frame is the standard among the most commonly off-road capable SUVs is telling.
Post #907714 14th Jun 2021 12:44am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
^^^

‘My experience hase been that BOF has generally made access, customization and repair much easier than comparable unibody offerings. The axels, transmissions and associated suspension systems have also been more robust. Robustness may be a function of the added "room" available in many BOF SUVs or it may simple be that those components have not been as much a priority in the unibody vehicles which I have seen.

Just because I haven't seen it done before doesn't mean it cannot be done. If Land Rover was able to pull it off, kudos to them.’

Couldn’t agree with your first comment more and it’s absolutely one of the most disappointing aspects on the new Defender. Whilst the tech has moved forward, the concept of the vehicle has definitely been a retrograde step. But as for your second comment, I think you might be wishing for too much. It will simply never be customizable nor fixable in any sense as we ‘classic’ Defenders think of it. Ever. Sadly JLR has left that club despite being arguably one of the founders and most long standing members, and further boasting an almost obsessive following. And all for what? To produce yet another pimpable SUV. Yes, it’s bloody brilliant off road, but otherwise offers Censored all to most pre-2016 Defender owners. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #908512 19th Jun 2021 8:48am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
^^^

‘My experience hase been that BOF has generally made access, customization and repair much easier than comparable unibody offerings. The axels, transmissions and associated suspension systems have also been more robust. Robustness may be a function of the added "room" available in many BOF SUVs or it may simple be that those components have not been as much a priority in the unibody vehicles which I have seen.

Just because I haven't seen it done before doesn't mean it cannot be done. If Land Rover was able to pull it off, kudos to them.’

Couldn’t agree with your first comment more and it’s absolutely one of the most disappointing aspects on the new Defender. Whilst the tech has moved forward, the concept of the vehicle has definitely been a retrograde step. But as for your second comment, I think you might be wishing for too much. It will simply never be customizable nor fixable in any sense as we ‘classic’ Defenders think of it. Ever. Sadly JLR has left that club despite being arguably one of the founders and most long standing members, and further boasting an almost obsessive following. And all for what? To produce yet another pimpable SUV. Yes, it’s bloody brilliant off road, but otherwise offers Censored all to most pre-2016 Defender owners. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #908513 19th Jun 2021 8:48am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I agree with Grenadier’s views about the customisation and adaptability of Defender and have been thinking about how the Grenadier might take up the mantle. Whilst it will undoubtedly be easier than a monocoque/unibody design, it still won’t be a patch on Defender Classic I don’t think. It’s a welded body from what I’ve seen, so there’ll be limited scope for DIY mix and match structural adaptation, especially with the station wagon variant. The pick up concept did look to have a separate bed which offers more options if you remove it. Maybe a chassis cab will come in time.

You’re going to need to be a Ninja with the angle grinder and mig to convert a pickup into station wagon. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #908519 19th Jun 2021 10:07am
Morepower

New Zealand 
If the stats are right... 1 ton load, 5 people its going to replace the old 110 usw... If it's capable of qualifying as a commercial vehicle... Then I think it will slaughter the 110 HT.... I would seriously look at one......
Regards future body styles... who knows... could be they make only the one style...????...

food fr thought on Ineos vs JLR... Ineos are making money... JLR as far as I'm aware (and please correct me if I'm wrong) are in pretty dire straits....

just my 2p It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #908658 20th Jun 2021 8:28pm
Black Puma

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Sumatra Black
Toyota Landcrusier, second hand prices surging. They are a great looking truck to boot.

There certainly is a market to buy something rugged, reliable and easily accessorised / modified.

Buyers are willing to pay for it. Here in Au anyway.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2021-09-.../100450364
Post #921375 14th Sep 2021 2:21am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
^^^ hence why I have a 25 year old Land Cruiser as a daily drive.
Post #921401 14th Sep 2021 10:20am
Mike_E

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
If i were back in Aus I'd buy a 70 series in a heartbeat.. (grew up with troopies and camping in Perth). looking at getting one here in the UK but the prices are huge for grey imports... £58k + VAT for a new one unless you want LHD then they are 35k + VAT
Post #921408 14th Sep 2021 10:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 13 of 13 <123 ... 111213