↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Another morning drive another issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
donmacn

karlp606 wrote:
I’ve got a mountney steering wheel with a mountney boss on and there’s a good inch gap between the boss and the blue circle thing, I’ll get the indicator cancelling ring ordered but will it reach between the boss and the blue circle :/

To be honest I don't think that indicator thing is what you need. On the underside of your boss will be two holes, directly opposite each other. They are for the pins that then engage with the blue plastic indicator cancelling ring on your column.

If you haven't got the pins, or if they are too short, you could just get some long bolts M5 or maybe M4, cut the heads off them and either tap the boss and thread them in, or glue/resin them in.

Basically you need to fit two pins to your boss to activate the cancelling ring that's already there.

I thought I'd taken photos of this in the past, but if I have, I can't find them. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #921052 11th Sep 2021 4:26pm
karlp606

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Firenze Red
I’ll check underneath the boss tomorrow see what’s what. I’ve seen the indicator rings for about £9 on LRparts so will prob get one of those. Just wondering how the ring fits to the underneath of the boss or does it just turn in tandem with the actual steering shaft?
Post #921067 11th Sep 2021 6:49pm
karlp606

karlp606 wrote:
Yeh thanks matey my relay has already been swapped out, I can see the little plastic surround where the headlight main beam is has started to melt away so looks like a bee headlight/indicator stalk to fix this problem

On the question of the little brass inserts on the back of the stalks where the plastic melts, is there anyway to slightly move this in any direction so you get the connection for the dipped beam to come on?
I presume the connection is on the main headlight stalk also that controls the flash/fog etc.
Post #921107 12th Sep 2021 7:35am
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I don't think there is a safe, reliable way to repair a light switch that has melted.
If you need a temporary emergency connection then to get you home, it is possible to bypass the side light/dipped switch.

Join all 3 terminals in the harness socket that the switch plugs into. This will turn the sidelights and dipped on all of the time. Main beam should then function as normal from the other stalk.
I worked this out at the roadside one wet, dark night, using odd bits of wire and insulating tape. Rolling Eyes

After I fitted a new switch, I cut the plug and wires from the old switch and crimped the wires together. I now keep this in the cubby box.just incase the new switch melts again.
Remove the cowl, unplug melted switch, plug in joined wires, and away you go.

Click image to enlarge

Edit,
Having reread the earlier posts, I'm not sure which switch you have the problem with. Bypassing the main beam switch using a similar method should be possible, but don't wire it to have both dipped and main on at the same time !!!
Post #921152 12th Sep 2021 11:55am
karlp606

Used the car today and lights all good Smile
Seems to be when its warmer weather the lights aren't working - suppose this could from something swelling in the heat and causing the non connection. Further investigation required!

Ordered the indicator cancel ring so will see how this fits with the mountney boss.
Post #921206 12th Sep 2021 6:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12