↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Sleeping solutions in a new 90S?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
G&T

United Kingdom 
Nitroneil wrote:
A couple of photos, front seats folded forward and bed installed, & front seats up and bed stacked in rear.
Suits us sir! Very Happy

Well done Nitroneil - looks great and I’m sure there are solutions to shed condensation for you. Check out Fish13 on YouTube as he has sleeves that fit over the doors which act as blackouts, fly screen and ventilation.

Any chance you can scribble out a drawing with cut sizes and hinges etc to be able to follow?

Thanks
Glenn
Post #917369 17th Aug 2021 9:25am
4B4B

United Kingdom 
Good to hear it worked out well. And it looks like you've done a great job.

I was torn between the better practicality of the 110 and there compact size of the 90, but went for the 90 in the end, as most the time I won't be carrying large loads, or people about. It's great to see you've been able to make the sleeping option work.

For day-to-day use I'll probably make a small shelf for the boot, to bring it all up to a single level, when the seats are folded down, (and bases removed).

I guess to counter the condensation you could plug in one of those small de-humidifiers.

Great job, and photos. Defender 90 HSE 250D 2022MY - Gave up after two failed orders
Post #917399 17th Aug 2021 11:21am
Tim in Scotland

Nitroneil wrote:
MBurns48 wrote:
Awesome. What's the actual length of the bed once it's all set up?

It's just shy of 1800 but by time pillow on you gain a bit more.
Worked really well at the weekend. Used it for 3 nights with 2 of us. Had a shelter for storing gear and cooking. There was some condensation on windows but not bad. Great nights sleep, cosy and quiet, rain nowhere as noisy compared to tent.
Only issue we had on first 2 nights we got up to low battery warning, lights were on auto so when it gets dark and unlocked side lights stayed on all night. So switched auto off and that solved it.

Neil, you should be able to give the lock icon on the fob a single press that will allow the electronics to go to sleep but without arming the movement detector side of the alarm system. That should also stop the low battery message in the morning by allowing the electronics to do a full shut down 10 minutes after locking.
On the ventilation front, if you have the sunroof you could just crack it open on the tilt and close the roller blind or drop a door window a small amount neither of which will close on the 1st click of the fob as that setting is intended for leaving dogs or children in the car Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #917403 17th Aug 2021 11:48am
J77

Scotland 
You can also disable the alarm for one ignition cycle from the vehicle menu on the Pivi screen. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #917424 17th Aug 2021 4:40pm
defendermike

This is not going to be for everyone, but thought I'd share.

I'm 5'10 and a side sleeper so wondered if I could sleep in the pretty spacious back seat area. Turrns out I can.

I've tried a few nights on the road with no big issue. Pretty "compact" but suits my sleeping position, and with the passenger seat forward you can straighten your legs a little more Smile

I bought a cheap foldable backseat bed platform to add a bit more support and level things out.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by defendermike on 27th Aug 2022 11:09pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #963108 27th Aug 2022 10:35pm
J77

Scotland 
I sat in the back of my 90 once and was able to get my legs up on the centre console, seemed pretty comfy. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #963110 27th Aug 2022 10:41pm
Lightwater

Australia 
If you want a really nice mattress, we use a couple of the Thermarest Luxury Map 183 x 51 x 7.6cm regular size mattress in the Freelander, we push & tilt the front seats forward, fridge sits on the passenger seat overnight & everything stuffed in the front. They are really comfortable. We have had Thermarest mattress for about 30 years & their Luxury Map is brilliant, worth every cent. I actually got this once due to getting older & hip issues sleeping.

https://www.thermarest.com/ie/sleeping-pad...rymap.html

A brief review in 2018:
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32913.html Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #963119 28th Aug 2022 9:23am
defendermike

Will take a look, thanks for the tip @Lightwater!
Post #963120 28th Aug 2022 9:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345