↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Anyone try Trigger's wireless remote controlled 12V system?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DaveCNB

United States 
Anyone try Trigger's wireless remote controlled 12V system?
This looks really interesting/cool:

https://triggercontroller.com

Click image to enlarge

Basically, it's a wireless power distribution/control module that you install under the hood, it can control up to 4 or 6 circuits and it's controlled by a wireless control panel you mount inside the cabin or via a bluetooth connection to an app running on your smartphone.

No running wires through the firewall/trying to find the one grommet buried deep by the steering wheel.

Pretty cool. They also sell a bluetooth enabled relay that you can use with their smartphone app if you don't want the whole multichannel system.

Anyone tried/installed one of these yet?

(I don't work for these guys or have anything to do with them, just stumbled across their product)
Post #946554 22nd Mar 2022 9:08am
dsstephens

United States 
Yep! i use it on my D2 with 4 different sets of lights. zero issues. easy to install.
Post #957413 6th Jul 2022 1:50am
DaveCNB

United States 
Awesome, thanks for the feedback on them. It really looks like a great high end system. I'll be going that way down the road for sure when I redo my auxiliary/work lights for a more comprehensive system.

In the mean time, I used a 12V RF Controller and programmed the HomeLink buttons on my rear view mirrors to toggle the RF controller as a quick and dirty light control scheme that integrates quite cleanly:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic84733.html

Not a perfect solution but quite economical and effective for smaller 12V powered accessories.

Dave
Post #962944 26th Aug 2022 9:13am
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
Interesting stuff.... Could that wireless relay be used as an extra level of vehicle immobilisation?
Post #962948 26th Aug 2022 9:51am
DaveCNB

United States 
Yes, I think if you pick the right circuit to interrupt and use the proper relay (toggle mode?) then you could use something like this as a RF/remote immobilizer circuit. The transmitters/receivers in these things are pretty rudimentary though, pretty easy for a sufficiently savvy adversary to record/clone the lock/unlock signal from the fob.

Then again, that 433MHz burst probably looks like yet another garage door opener signal to anyone not looking too carefully and without the right tools to analyze the signal...they might not even consider that it's there to further immobilize your vehicle. That and there is probably in any given residential area a ton of 433MHz stuff popping off left and right.

If you're adding it as an additional layer on top of other existing security, I suppose the obscurity of it all might just elude someone who hadn't been set up and watching you/monitoring your RF emissions for a long time to figure out you have a non-standard/custom unlock code.

Interesting idea.
Post #962950 26th Aug 2022 10:02am
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
I think I'm going to get the relay and have a play around 🙂
Post #962954 26th Aug 2022 11:35am
DaveCNB

United States 
Might be good to power such a RF immobilizer directly off the 12V take off box for acessories that's pre-wired in the right side of the engine compartment (power comes directly from the battery).

As for what circuit to interrupt w/ a relay (safest with an appropriately rated relay) I am absolutely NO expert and just guessing lol. Maybe check the specs of some of the aftermarket car alarms for the new Defenders to see which circuit(s) they interrupt to immobilize the vehicle.

Dave

PS - this RF switch is listed on Amazon and in the comments someone mentioned they'd used it for an Immobilizer system:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZSL6EF/?coli..._lig_dp_it

Last edited by DaveCNB on 26th Aug 2022 4:49pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #962982 26th Aug 2022 4:35pm
DaveCNB

United States 
Ah...I just noticed that you probably have an older Defender that may be more forgiving of these types of hacks than the New Defender.

Cool, definitely let me know what you cook up.
Post #962986 26th Aug 2022 4:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1