↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > Use your HomeLink buttons to control 12V Accessories/Lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DaveCNB

United States 
Use your HomeLink buttons to control 12V Accessories/Lights
Hi All,

So I'm not sure if anyone else has done this but I thought I'd share this little hack to get more use out of your built in HomeLink RF learning remote system that is built into your rear view mirror.

In my condo complex, our gate/garage door system uses a Digital signal NOT compatible with HomeLink's system (the transmitted code is too complex and there is a handshake protocol that isn't a learnable static code or a rolling code). So up to now, the very hand HomeLink buttons have been unused and neglected.

So awhile back, I had used one of these very nicely made wiring harnesses to hook up some grill mounted auxiliary lights and wire them up to the 12V/ground terminals that are handily supplied in the engine compartment. These are very easy to hook up, very good quality wiring harnesses that are weatherproof and have sealed connectors:

Single Channel/output https://www.superbrightleds.com/led-light-...arness-ch1
Single Channel/dual output https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle-li...atherproof

They include an illuminated wired switch, but since it's such a pain to run a wire through the steering wheel grommet through the firewall, I opted for one of these RF modules that plugs in place of the wired switch in the wiring harnesses above (actually, you can still use a wired switch AND this RF switch module at the same time).

RF Wireless Switch modulehttps://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle-li...d-receiver
It's listed as a strobe controller, but the default mode when turned on is Constant On w/o a strobe pattern. The included 4 button remote allows you turn the 12V accessory on, 2 buttons to switch through several different flashing patterns (but it always starts in the constant on mode when first turned on) and a SOS mode (3 short flashes, 3 long flashes, repeat/loop).

Click image to enlarge

I always hated the little key fob remote as it was easy to lose and kinda cheesy looking w/ a small battery that could poop out at some point unexpectedly.

Well....turns out that the little remote and the RF switch work on 433MHz which is what garage door openers work on...so you can train one or more of the HomeLink buttons to one of the button functions Yayyyyyy!

Voila, I now have the ability to replicate the function of 3 different buttons on that little RF remote or potentially 3 different 12V auxiliary devices (each switched via their own RF controller) w/o having to run wires everywhere or having to punch through the firewall or any body panels!!

If you want to control something internal in the car, you can also use an add-a-fuse to power one of these direct 12V switches (no relay) for lower powered devices like LED lights, backup lights, rear flashers, etc.

RF LED Controller https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle-re...-rcs-rf25a
Strobe Light LED Controller https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle-li...s-lmc-700a

(I have no idea why the strobe controller is way cheaper than the non strobed controller)

Sure using something like the Trigger Controller system would be way classier https://triggercontroller.com but at almost $300 for their 4 circuit system and $408 for their 6 circuit controller, using one of these wiring harnesses ($20-30) w/ a RF controller ($20-50) and an unused HomeLink button is WAY cheaper and actually kinda integrates really nicely/cleanly. Also, in addition to using the HomeLink buttons, you still have the little key fob remote that came with the controller and you can control the accessory from outside the car/nearby.

Now one thing I haven't tried yet is to use 2 different RF switched controllers at the same time. I'm guessing that each RF unit is coded differently so you could use them independently but I have not verified this personally.

I think that if you use the RF LED Controller that replaces the switch and the Strobe Light LED Controller that wires direct to a 12V device, it wouldn't interfere as they look to be from 2 different manufacturers and you could assign one to their individual HomeLink button....maybe.

Oh and if you're already using all of your HomeLink buttons, you can search for "433MHz RF Learning Remote" and find plenty of inexpensive options.

Enjoy,

Dave

PS - HomeLink only works if the accessory power is on or engine is running.
PPS - I do not work for or get any money from SuperBrightLED's, I've just found they have good products at decent prices. You can probably find similar wiring harnesses and 12V RF switches on Amazon or eBay but I haven't used them personally and can't say that they'll work well. If they're between 288-433 MHz RF range that HomeLink supports, then you'll probably be good to go.
Post #962936 26th Aug 2022 6:27am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I had to look up what on earth a homelink is Laughing

Clever use for it though.
Post #963011 26th Aug 2022 7:00pm
VinSuz

United States 
Dave, you are a scholar and a gentleman! I’m posting a link to this thread on landroverforums.com. 2020 Defender 110 P400 HSE Santorini Black/Ebony
2019 Jaguar I Pace HSE
2022 Chevy Bolt 2LT
Post #969179 28th Oct 2022 3:00pm
LR Nuts

I used a very similar system to have a 'wand' that I could use inside or outside the vehicle to control my roof mounted flood lights and work lamps.

Click image to enlarge

Re-housed the key-fob into a Land Rover dash switch bank and wedged it between the passenger's seat and centre console.

I would then take the wand out and walk around the vehicle to control those lamps as and when needed.

Click image to enlarge
Post #969193 28th Oct 2022 5:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1