↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Focal iBus 20 sub. Disappointing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Not knowledgeable about car systems, but do check that your speakers are in phase.
Speakers are out of phase if the wires for one of your speakers are connected the wrong way around. When this happens the sound from one speaker cancels out the sound from the other so you get reduced bass and poor stereo imaging.
Knowing LR production it could easily have reversed wires during build.
Post #915995 8th Aug 2021 8:25am
pilsburypie

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Good tip. Will check. But I think the sub is struggling to hit frequencies.
Post #916000 8th Aug 2021 9:13am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
My factory fitted Alpine head unit and sub on the 2015 XS is a great improvement on the 2011 system, but the Defender acoustics are not great compared with other cars.
Did you use the correct size and quality of wire to the sub? This can make a big difference to sound.
Otherwise it might be worth listening to the factory fit system in another Defender to compare.
Post #916003 8th Aug 2021 9:50am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Kind of the opposite way around from what you describe but I fitted focal components in the front driven by the head unit and was a bit disappointed. I added the sub and used it to amp the components and it completely transformed things.

Definitely add the components and drive them via the sub and I think you will be pleased

Some further background reading here https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic75049.html > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #916022 8th Aug 2021 11:51am
Simboii

Wales 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Keswick Green
Is the focal sub worth the extra money over the alpine?

Im also looking to do the uograde but unsure which sub to go for!! Looking to install the focal es100k kit, but unsure what to do with the tweeters as mines a td5
Post #916033 8th Aug 2021 12:12pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
pilsburypie wrote:
Was it the focal setup or something else?

All the top Focal stuff that Mudstuff sell. I can’t run the sub at full as too much bass.
Post #916054 8th Aug 2021 1:47pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Simboii wrote:

Im also looking to do the uograde but unsure which sub to go for!! Looking to install the focal es100k kit, but unsure what to do with the tweeters as mines a td5

Yes, much better and is amp for the front speakers.
Post #916055 8th Aug 2021 1:48pm
Simboii

Wales 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Keswick Green
Great, tabks for that Thumbs Up
Post #916056 8th Aug 2021 1:55pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Simboii wrote:

The Ibus 2.1 has an internal 2 Chanel amp which is great for the fronts and worth the money. Standard 2.0 and the alpine are pretty similar…
Regarding the tweeters, take the dash top off, drill a couple of holes and ….
Post #916091 8th Aug 2021 5:26pm
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green

Click image to enlarge
Post #916094 8th Aug 2021 5:34pm
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
Re: Focal iBus 20 sub. Disappointing
[quote="pilsburypie"]
Landymatt wrote:

I’m at the same stage as you…

….
Post back when you’ve installed.

Finished instal of Focal ES100K last night and had a quick listen and was a bit disappointed, didn’t really sound much different. But went out for a drive today and the extra depth / quality / whatever is is really shone through… that coupled with the Ibus sub and all the songs I put on sounded awesome… I’m now looking forward to sound proofing to hopefully enhance further.
Post #917121 15th Aug 2021 8:46pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

Have a look at my thread

https://4x4tyres.co.uk/product/20-x-9-oem-...lack-et35/

during #lockdown1 I decided to mess about with my set up...

Have to say it's pretty good now, my truck is a 110 and I wound proofed it ages ago...

Upgraded all speakers, focal / rockford and amp / sub.

My head as I ran separate RCS's for each channel lets me control the sub / speakers

For a Defender I'm happy... from Dire Straits to Faithless... sounds great Smile

Took a while mind and my car was in bits... but wasn't going anywhere so all good.
Post #917137 15th Aug 2021 9:41pm
pilsburypie

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Having persevered with the focal IBUS 20 for a month I’ve had enough. Sound is medeocre. Does some filling out, but the range is missed and I get some bass notes booming and other so much quieter or non existent. Peculiar sound in my book. So that is going on eBay

With this “under seat” compact type sub leaving a bad taste in my mouth, I went full retard and ordered a JL Audio 12” all in one integrated amp and sub. Lord have mercy! Talk about one extreme to the other! The sound is amazing. Sure it goes stupid loud like a boy racer, but more importantly to me it is so warm and transforms the system into a joyful listening experience even at low volumes. Full range, clear, composed and all the other words you’d hear from hifi.

Perhaps I went a bit OTT with a 12” and it also takes up boot space, but I can heartily recommend an offering from JL Audio over the Focal sub. Night and day.
Post #925788 15th Oct 2021 12:57pm
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Awesome, glad you found a better solution. Thumbs Up

Never been satisfied with under-seat subs myself either, much prefer an ASBO solution too. There is really no replacement for displacement when it comes to bass. I managed (just) to fit a Kenwood PA-W801B 400W (peak Whistle ) active sub in between the rear bulkhead and rear seats of my 110DC . EVERYTHING rattles and shakes when you crank it up. Wouldn't have it any other way Twisted Evil Wink Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #925961 16th Oct 2021 5:28pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Ive not heard a focal setup but i can strongly recommend alpine. Ive gone through a few alpine sytems in my 90 now upgrading as the budget has allowed.

Ive fitted 13cm type G spg-13cs mid bass components front and rear. Being components the mid bass driver is very shallow so easily fits in td5 dash and rear speaker pods. Im using the included type g tweeters in the rear and bought some type r tweeters and crossovers to fit in the dash from a friend.

Ive got an alpine type r 10" sub with a custom box, just upgraded from a very old type S 10". The type s was plenty sufficent and musically accurate but it didnt allow me to go full yobbo like the type r does. That said you cant turn the type r down and its still a lovely composed sound.

All the above is powered by an alpine PDX-v9 amplifier which is small and mighty. This made an unbelievable difference over my previous alpine entry level 4 channel amp on the speakers and is worth it if youre seriously into your audio. It also has massive power headroom which gives me options for the future. I may well end up fitting an upper speaker panel in the rear and double up some 13cm speakers in the back running in paralell. The perfect match speakers for the amp are the SPR-50c's but are unfortunately discontinued otherwise id be after them.

Ive also got one of the small alpine underseat subwoofers mounted to the bulkhead behind the centre front seat. A PWE-S8. This is something i fitted in the beginning which is ok but has no ooomph compared to the big stuff. Ive left it fitted as it fills in the gap between the large sub and the mid bass quite nicely. Also if im going on a big trip and need the boot space i can just unplug and remove the big type r sub and this little thing can suffice. The amp mentioned above has quick disconnect plugs for all the speakers and sub so you can unplug and remove extremely easily.

In my opinion the true star of the system is the amp, the sound is amazing, its insanely powerful and extremely small. If you put it at the heart of your system to begin with you can upgrade everything around it as you go and the little beast will almost run anything.
Post #926278 18th Oct 2021 9:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>