↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Focal iBus 20 sub. Disappointing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
pilsburypie

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Focal iBus 20 sub. Disappointing
Moving to a defender recently, I was shocked mostly at the audio. Alpine 133BT head unit powering the factory basic speakers with no sub. Tinny to say the least.

Research led me to a focal set up. iBus 20 for some bass and then an upgrade to some focal components.

Stage 1 is the sub. Fitted. I must say I’m disappointed. It seems to lack frequency range. I’ve googled and youtubed set up, adjusted LPF, gain etc etc and also played around with settings all over the place. Some bass notes have a punch, others are weak and lack any oompf. My previous car (Volvo) had a standard factory install and sounded warm and full. Even my misses fiesta sounds considerably better.

What could be up? I know a defender is hardly an acoustical gem but the sound is poor. Sub is mounted to the rear of the cubby box. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated before I spend several hundreds on the focal fronts and rears. I’d expect an upgrade from the components, but can’t see them curing my current issue.
Post #915826 6th Aug 2021 6:31pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
It’s compromised by the size of it and will never be like your local spotty faced Fiesta boy’s ‘system’.

If you want your diaphragm rattled…. Fit a large separate amp, big sub box, big mid speakers, crossovers and focal tweeters facing you on the dash. All the standard Land Rover speakers then need the wires disconnected.
Post #915830 6th Aug 2021 6:53pm
pilsburypie

A boy racer boom is not what I’m after. I’m after a full warm sound. What I have sounds weak and missing many frequencies.

I have read many reviews of the focal sub and all seem rather pleased with it. As I said, any “regular car” basic stereo would knock socks off my current setup. I can’t believe a dedicated sub, even a mere 8”, can’t deliver what a regular car sound system delivers.
Post #915855 6th Aug 2021 8:26pm
Farmerben

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
If you haven’t done the other speakers yet I’d strongly suggest you do. The sub is the finishing touch but the focal woofers/tweeters are night and day from the original setup https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #915857 6th Aug 2021 8:38pm
pilsburypie

Really? I thought the original speakers were ok for the mid and treble. I mean they sound ok for the high stuff, just have no bass. Which was what I was hoping the sub would sort. You recon the focal components will be the solution to fill it out?
Post #915866 6th Aug 2021 9:47pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Nope, all the standard fit 4" speakers are poor, including the "upgrade" ones fitted as part of the subwoofer option.
Just one pair of Focal PC130 in the rear makes a world of difference,.

Agree Volvo systems are very good.
Post #915868 6th Aug 2021 10:16pm
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
Re: Focal iBus 20 sub. Disappointing
pilsburypie wrote:
Moving to a defender recently, I was shocked mostly at the audio. Alpine 133BT head unit powering the factory basic speakers with no sub. Tinny to say the least.

…..

What could be up? I know a defender is hardly an acoustical gem but the sound is poor. Sub is mounted to the rear of the cubby box. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated before I spend several hundreds on the focal fronts and rears. I’d expect an upgrade from the components, but can’t see them curing my current issue.

I’m at the same stage as you… yesterday fitted Ibus 2.1 to Mud Sub Locker. Couldn’t do the speakers as didn’t have the right spade connectors for the Focal ES100K speakers. I thought just having more bass would make it loads better - and it is better, but still plenty missing.
Can’t wait to get the new speakers in.
Post #915881 7th Aug 2021 6:47am
pilsburypie

I do take the point that the stock speakers are likely to be crap. Also that 4” lack size required for warm sound. Im just worried at present I’m going to spend rather a lot of money chasing something I’m not going to get.

When I do replace speakers I will certainly go PC130 in the rear. I’m also reading up on 130mm speakers in the front too. A bit of cutting and manipulation required but nothing too brutal. Seeing as the PC130s are much cheaper, I may do this first as an incremental upgrade and assess how this larger cone performs at filling out.

I’m also aware of some making new enclosures for the rear speakers high up in the top corners. Also considering this as the plastic trim the speakers mount to is as flimsy and poorly fixed as can be.

I suppose replacing the stock speakers is a must eventually. I also have a fall back of selling the iBus 20 and just buying an amp and sub to sit in the boot. Removable when needed. Nothing too big and boy racer like, but something with more than the focal offering. Was hoping to avoid as I do like the compact focal mounted to the rear of the cubby.
Post #915884 7th Aug 2021 7:39am
pilsburypie

Re: Focal iBus 20 sub. Disappointing
Landymatt wrote:

I’m at the same stage as you… yesterday fitted Ibus 2.1 to Mud Sub Locker. Couldn’t do the speakers as didn’t have the right spade connectors for the Focal ES100K speakers. I thought just having more bass would make it loads better - and it is better, but still plenty missing.
Can’t wait to get the new speakers in.

I’m very interested in how you think the esk100 perform in filling the sound out with the iBus sub. I’ve no doubt they’re top speakers, I’m not questioning that, I’m just wondering if they’re right for our defender beasts.

Post back when you’ve installed.
Post #915885 7th Aug 2021 7:43am
Farmerben

I put the ES100k tweeter/woofer kit in. Pretty standard setup for a Defender audio upgrade.

https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/collections/aud...weeter-kit

Not sure what Defender you have but although mine had the grilles up top for tweeters, there weren't any fitted. The ES100K kit gives you the woofers and tweeters with crossovers to separate the highs and mids then you've got the sub to fill in the low end. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #915898 7th Aug 2021 9:56am
pilsburypie

Got a 110. 2014 xs station wagon

How did you find the esk100? Mid and treble I already have with the stock, although probably pretty crap. I worry by spunking £250 on those great 4” speakers I’ll just have better mid and treble with the same hole in frequency and weird sounding music.

The more I think about this, the more I realise there is an issue. What with, I don’t know.

I listen to a range of music, from rap to rock. Any other speakers I listen to, whether in another car, a stereo at home, a rubbish Alexa, kitchen ceiling speakers, the songs sound similar. All have the frequency range and the song sounds as intended obviously with more or less bass depending on the product. The defender sounds wrong. Missing bits. Unbalanced.

Tempted to drop by a car audio shop and let them have a quick look and advise.
Post #915900 7th Aug 2021 10:09am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I did all new speakers and sub at the same time, and must say was, and am very impressed with it. Get many positive comments on it too.
Post #915979 7th Aug 2021 9:35pm
pilsburypie

Was it the focal setup or something else?
Post #915983 7th Aug 2021 11:17pm
Farmerben

Definitely get it checked out if you aren’t sure. Mine was a DIY job just from people advising on here. Changed the head unit, added a sub and switched out the speakers. Had to get a live put in from battery to sub and even the guys at the auto electrical centre said how sweet the sound was. I listen to mostly electronic music - classic house, drum and bass etc and as long as I don’t have loose change rattling in the cup holders it’s really good.

Disclaimer - I don’t actually have the focal sub but it is just a LR cubby mounted sub I got off eBay and I don’t think it’s supposed to be any better than the focal. https://instagram.com/bentheoandrews
Post #915990 8th Aug 2021 6:04am
pilsburypie

Thanks for the input on your system. Going to consider replacing the speakers too once I get my head round any issue I have or don’t have.
Post #915991 8th Aug 2021 6:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>