Home > In Car Electronics > speaker upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ehenfrey

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
speaker upgrades
Hi guys,

Could anyone recommend speaker upgrades fro a 90? might be p***ing into wind, I know.
Post #909921 29th Jun 2021 10:12am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The general consensus on this forum is Focal ES100K components up front, run through a Focal IBUS 20 active subwoofer.

I did not believe the hype but was suitably proved wrong when I heard them and now have a set fitted myself!

If you have time to read 60 odd pages see here https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic14698.html

Some focal related threads here

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic75049.html

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic53240-138.html
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic53240-147.html

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic53232.html

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58767.html > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #909927 29th Jun 2021 11:31am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Factory alpine sub and focal upgrades all around. Add good sound proofing to that and the quality is superb. Where about in Yorkshire are you? Your welcome to come for a listen.
Post #909970 29th Jun 2021 2:21pm
X4CAC

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
In my 90 I went for the Focal ES100K up front and ES130K in the rear (which needed a little modification to make them fit), plus the rear tweeters went up into the telephone piece of the headliner.

I then went for the Focal iBus 2.1 sub which is in a mud stuff under cubby locker and then behind the passenger seat I've also added a Focal FDS 2.350 amp.

As mentioned before decent sound proofing makes the world of difference.

My set up is ear-bleedingly loud... just as I like it Cool
Post #909987 29th Jun 2021 3:17pm
pilsburypie

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I’m halfway through the focal iBus 20 and es100k upgrade…… by that I mean I’ve installed the iBus 20 sub and wanted to see how that went before going for the es100k components…..

Sound is better….. considerably. Before there was zero low end, now there’s plenty - not boom box boy racer level, but a good fill out. However I feel there is a hole in the mid bass, higher bass frequencies. Certain tracks highlight this more than others.

I’ve faffed with settings as much as I can on the factory Alpine CDE 133BT headset but it’s not cured the mid bass hole. Is there any suggestion on settings?

I was wondering that the sub goes up to 150hz but I’m not sure on what the factory non premium 4” speakers go down to. I’ve read that the focal es100k go down to 120hz. Would this cure that hole? Or is it a fact that past the upper end of the sub can’t be filled by little 4” speakers?

Thoughts appreciated.
Post #914002 25th Jul 2021 3:53pm
Moneypit

2004 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Fuji White
I have used Rockford Fosgate direct replacement speakers for year's, very good sound and available at really cheap prices if you shop around. Seen a full Harman Kardon system and an awesome Infinity install, mega bucks money
Post #914036 25th Jul 2021 10:39pm
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
CO1, X4CAC,
I think I’m aiming for a similar setup to you.
Took delivery of an Ibus 2.1 and Focal ES100K speakers yesterday.
Went to plug the Ibus 2.1 in, and found that none of the connectors behind my factory Alpine CDE-133BT fit the supplied loom.

What connectors did you have / use?

I was planning on using the high level speaker outputs from the HU but if that’s a pain am considering the RCA pair, although I’m unsure if this will drive the sub and speakers, and I think will involve me having to run new speaker cables from amp to speakers.

Advice appreciated!
Matt
Post #914558 29th Jul 2021 7:19am
pilsburypie

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I’ll try and help, but it’s a bit of the case of the blind leading the blind!

I think your 2.1 is different from my 2 in the fact that mine is purely an amp for the sub where yours can drive speakers too.

If you just use the rca low level inputs that is the low level bass. You won’t get your input for your speakers.

I think.
Post #914561 29th Jul 2021 8:08am
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
I've done a bit more parping about about with this, maybe this will be useful to others, maybe someone will come along and tell us I've got it all wrong, or tell us it's already been done, but here goes:

The first thing that became apparent when I took the middle dash out was that nothing supplied supplied with the Ibus 2.1 appeared to fit any connectors in my 2015 Puma, i.e. nothing appears to be ISO connections, but rather this thing, which then goes to the back of the factory Alpine CDE-133BT head unit.

Click image to enlarge

So because nothing was going to fit, I've ordered a Defender (MY2013 onwards) to ISO adaptor, like this:

Click image to enlarge

The above, however, then needs to somehow connect the Defender to the Head Unit, so I've ordered one of these:

Click image to enlarge

Until a week or so I knew nothing about car audio, ISO connectors, and lots of other stuff, but it seems like half of these connectors carry speaker-only signals, and the other half carries power and other information. So I think I can take half of the ISO connector from the Head Unit and plug it into the Defender wiring loom bound bit of the ISO connector (to get power etc from the Defender to the head unit) and take the other half to my Ibus sub / amp, to get my tunes from the amp to the speakers etc.

I plan to get the audio signals from the Head Unit to the Ibus via separate RCA cables. I've tried to sketch this out, and I know this will make some people wince, but here it is. Comments / corrections welcome!

Click image to enlarge

I haven't received any of the adaptors yet so can't tell you if it fits together or works or not, but I'm hoping it means I don't have to chop cables and splice etc.

cheers,
Matt
Post #915170 2nd Aug 2021 4:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1