↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > No response when turning key to second position
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Teario

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Rioja Red
No response when turning key to second position
Hello chaps, I am in need of some advice on things to try to resolve this or recommendations for a garage/auto electrician in the north west I can visit.

If I turn the key to the first position I get the glow plug light. Wait for that to go out and turn to second position then I get absolutely no response.

This issue has been going on for some time, even before the rebuild but it would be a rare occurrence. Normally it would resolve if I waited a while and had another go. I had an incident about 2 months ago where I stopped for fuel and then it just refused to start up again. 20 minutes I was trying and eventually got started which to that point was the longest it had taken to resolve. Then it was all fine up until this week. It's been 4 days and it shows no sign of wanting to get going again. I'm not sure if the issue has just finally got to a fatal point or if it's being made worse by the hot weather.

I made this video that shows the problem:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN2Rx...RkNk9CckZB

To be honest I don't really know where to start. The effect is the same as if I try to start without disarming the immobiliser (minus the immob light coming on) so I suspect maybe it's something to do with that.

If anyone has pointers on what I can try to diagnose this I would appreciate it.
Post #912945 18th Jul 2021 4:49pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
Two things instantly spring to mind.

Either a dead starter motor or a faulty ignition switch. Have you ruled these out?
Post #912992 18th Jul 2021 11:16pm
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
I've just had a similar problem but i don't have an imobiliser. I traced mine to the starter relay behind the fuse box. There are 4 wires, 12v positive in and then out to the starter, ignition fed 12v positive and an earth. I confirmed a good 12v supply to the relay, a good ignition fed supply and continuity from the relay to the starter. The problem turned out to be a dodgy earth, sometimes it was ok, sometimes it wasn't. I wired in a new earth, it cured it straight away and i'ts been ok since.
Post #913003 19th Jul 2021 7:18am
jeffersj

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Bronze Green
Not sure if it will help but there is a similar discussion on the TD5 area and it suggests a problem might be with the relay or instrument cluster. Jeff
Ex 1968 Series 2A
Ex 90 TD5
Ex D3
Ex D4

Last edited by jeffersj on 26th Jul 2021 7:53am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #913009 19th Jul 2021 7:27am
dorsetsmith

With immobiliser disarmed is starter relay clicking Question when you try and start the engine Question

your starter relay coil is control one side from ignition switch. and other side alarm too ground (battery neg ) and switched output from the starter relay is controlled by immobiliser too

As your glow plug control seems to be working and is controlled by ignition switch. at same time as the starter relay and from same ignition switch output that ignition switch is working ok

Click image to enlarge

With alarm and immobiliser disarmed from your key fob work way down starter cct with voltage tester and find witch part of the cct and control units as failed
Post #913038 19th Jul 2021 10:26am
Teario

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still not that mechanically inclined and trying to learn as I go so appreciate all the pointers.
I had a little bit of time today so popped out and confirmed the ignition switch is working. I should get time to work through the rest of the advice at the weekend and hopefully report back with success.
Post #913313 20th Jul 2021 10:39pm
dorsetsmith

Most are not before buying land rover but it helps over time you will be able to fix her with out at a glans Whistle

i sent you PM with more information
Post #913423 21st Jul 2021 12:59pm
Tony_Hillerby

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Santorini Black
As what whirly90 said , but we had the remnants of an immobiliser but a spider plug had been fitted to the plug in the seat base. Traced it down to the starter relay base there was no connection to earth. Checked continuity of all other wires and the operation of the ignition switch and starter motor. Replaced earth to a local boss and alright now. The issues started off intermittent but gradually got worse so suspect now that the earth wire had broken somewhere and was only sometimes making contact to crank the engine over.
Hope you find the issue.
Post #913564 22nd Jul 2021 11:17am
Teario

I spent yesterday tracing wires and checking continuity. Everything up to and including the starter relay seemed good so continued on and got to here:

Click image to enlarge

I was following this black cable at the back and it seemed quite awkwardly positioned the way it comes around on itself. I pushed it to see if it was secure and it barely moved. Decided to try starting it on the off chance and it fired up straight away. The connector had just worked its way ever so slightly loose.

Feeling a little embarrassed now that it turned out to be something so simple. At least it was a good chance to learn.

Thanks everyone for your help. Now I'm off out for a celebratory drive.
Post #913975 25th Jul 2021 10:47am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Well done. Excellent result.
Nothing to be embarrassed about. Just part of a ( steep ) learning curve with Defenders.
Post #913984 25th Jul 2021 12:13pm
dorsetsmith

spot on Thumbs Up
Post #914056 26th Jul 2021 8:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1