↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > describing a gearshift - is it normal?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

describing a gearshift - is it normal?
Hi everyone.

I've never been quite happy with the gearshift on my 2010 D90. It just doesn't seem quite right.

I've tried to describe it a few times but have never been able to articulate it very well so, after a long drive tonight I thought I'd give it a better go.

So, when shifting in any forward gear, there feels like there's a rubbery restriction when moving from gear to neutral and from neutral to gear. Like you have to push-through a restriction that shouldn't be there – it’s only slight, but it’s enough to prevent it changing smoothly and sows the seeds of doubt.

I’ve tried to draw an image to show how it feels – yes, I do realise that’s not how a gear selector works, just how it feels to the hand.

Click image to enlarge

Now it doesn't make any noise or any graunches and only the driver can detect it, but it just seems a bit odd.

I was wondering if anyone else finds that the MT82 behaves this way.

If not and if it’s a fault, it does feel like it’s a linkage/selector issue, so course of planned action is:

1) Drop oil and refill with exact quantity of correct oil.
2) I’m removing the mats anyway to fit acoustic matting, so may as well do some work:
2a) Remove linkage and inspect -it could be dry or plastic parts may be damaged
2b) Do the LR recall bush mod
2c) Fit a TMD Shift-R Slickshift (I know this won’t fix an issue - rather, I’m hoping that by this point the issue will have been resolved with the steps above and I'll be fitting it to a good-changing box based on reviews on the forum. The only benefit the Shift-R could bring in that regard is to provide a brand new ball and cup in case the old one is worn or split). Basically fitting one while the carpets are out.

The only other explanation is that all MT82s are like that – in which case, please do let me know.

For info, the gearbox has done 50k miles and has been well maintained (unless the last garage overfilled it). It has had a Clutchfix HD clutch and Ashcroft output shaft but the gear change issue was there before and after these two upgrades.
Post #913615 22nd Jul 2021 5:06pm
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
sounds like your clutch is dragging, making the synchros work overtime. Id bleed it first and replace the clutch master cylinder if it doesnt get better. Roaming around 🇳🇴🇨🇭
Post #913617 22nd Jul 2021 5:16pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Do 2b and 2c first and see if it’s sorts it, mine felt ropey once but it was down to the standard nylon ball joint had a crack in it which put it all over the place.
]if nothing else it’ll be an upgrade, and if that doesn’t cure it investigate further. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #913628 22nd Jul 2021 6:53pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Do 1 as well.
Do not refill by the same amount though, in case it was low.
The MT82 should take 2.2liters of oil, although on my manual, 2012 says 2.4 liters (which previously was the fill from dry value).
Maybe refill with 2.3 liters. Use the best possible oil.

Mine has a bit of clutch drag. New master, new slave, new clutch. Pedal does not feel soft. It just jerks a bit forward when at a standstill, level ground without brakes, and I engage 1st gear. Wish I can find out why. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #913637 22nd Jul 2021 7:34pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Do you know anyone who has a truck like yours? Would they let you try it out to see if their gear selector feels like yours?

I was paranoid I had an issue with mine. I knew no one with a Defender like mine and it took me a while to accept that it was a ‘unique’ feel.
Post #913639 22nd Jul 2021 7:43pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Things I have done to mine - each has made a small difference:-

Fitted TMD Shift-R Slickshift

Fitted Syncro Gearbox lower selector cup

Swapped oil in the box to Red Line MT85. 75W85 GL-4 Rgds.

Chris
Post #913643 22nd Jul 2021 8:00pm
Angus_Beef

Dinnu wrote:
Do 1 as well.
Do not refill by the same amount though, in case it was low.
The MT82 should take 2.2liters of oil, although on my manual, 2012 says 2.4 liters (which previously was the fill from dry value).
Maybe refill with 2.3 liters. Use the best possible oil.

Mine has a bit of clutch drag. New master, new slave, new clutch. Pedal does not feel soft. It just jerks a bit forward when at a standstill, level ground without brakes, and I engage 1st gear. Wish I can find out why.

This is solid advice.

I’ll humbly add, that after reading the mustang forums I have refilled mine with 2.6L of 75w oil and then changed the master to the lof power master. End result that is the longer stroke means the clutch does not drag at all, shifts are silky smooth, remarkably good and fast when warm.
but the pedal sits uncomfortably high when the bite point is at a reasonable level. I’m learning that the mt82 with the defender pedal box is a challenge. Roaming around 🇳🇴🇨🇭
Post #913648 22nd Jul 2021 8:15pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Thank you DeeEss for your input.
Do you know the pistons diameter of the LOF power master cylinder?
I laugh when I read “power”, where power is a function of a force over a distance.
I thought that the LOF power master has a smaller bore. This reduces the force needed to press the pedal. I was not aware that it increases the stroke, but making perfect sense now as you need to displace the same volume of oil to shift the slave by the same amount. So in the end it is the same power as the standard Defender master cylinder. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #913691 23rd Jul 2021 6:23am
Angus_Beef

Hi Dinnu, yes, its not more powerful, just a lighter pedal. The clutch springs provide only a certain resistance, you can't push them "harder"... Laughing
I did not take the cover off and measure the lof master, but kind of wish i did now... Its a smaller bore and longer stroke to move the same amount of fluid with less pedal effort, as you figured out. I wish I had known this before I bought it, because adjusting it is about finding a compromise between a bite point thats too low and a pedal that sits too high. I will say that the clutch no longer drags, and the clutch feel is really very good. I need to spend some more time with it to get used to the pedal height, which is about 35mm higher than standard Roaming around 🇳🇴🇨🇭
Post #913692 23rd Jul 2021 6:40am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I don't know if it is relevant but have you seen this sticky thread... https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic29132.html James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #913698 23rd Jul 2021 7:16am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
the gear box can be slick , mine is but hasnt always been.

Firstly I would look at the linkage, matting and lever assembly and fit the bushs , all this will not cost much other than a bit of time and some spray grease, if the problem then persists start looking further DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #913708 23rd Jul 2021 8:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1