Home > In Car Electronics > Towbar power issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
Towbar power issues
Hello,

When I connect my towbar bike rack lights to the hook up I'm getting some problems...

Firstly I get no lights on the bike rack

When I turn on the side lights the right indicator comes on permanently (not flashing)

So where to start?

I've tested the ground and indicator is getting voltage using a multi meter (and it is - a nice pulsing 12v)

Had a very brief look at the socket.....

Firstly it was on there when I bought it 3 months ago and I haven't used it for anything else, and the rack is brand new. The socket spring cover is broken, so it's been open to the elements for some time. It is fitted in the square hole within the rear cross member.

The wiring from the back is a)not well secured, and has at least mini connectors in addition to the main plug into the wiring loom. and b)very stiff and wrapped in insulating tape

I obviously want to get it working, and presume the first step will be to change the socket and wiring up to the main loom.

Any recommendations for a good priced kit that I can use as a replacement?

Thinking there is probably a grounding issue I had a quick look under the truck to see if I could find the grounding point on the rear transfer case, but couldn't see it... only wire I could see in the area was entering the axle... any pointers to where it is gratefully received.

Click image to enlarge
Post #909343 24th Jun 2021 9:35pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I presume that it is the right indicator on the bike rack that comes on (not the vehicle)?

This is undoubtedly an earth fault of some kind, resulting in the sidelight earthing through the indicator filament (the side and indicator earths are common, ie connected together, so the 12V is in effect across both filaments in series. The indicator filament, which is brighter and therefore has a lower impedance, is lighting up much more than the sidelight, so you only see the bright one).

Investigate your earths. The fault could be on the bike rack thingy or with the socket on the vehicle. You can test the rack on another vehicle, or the vehicle with another trailer or lightboard to determine which of the two is faulty.
Post #909348 24th Jun 2021 10:29pm
balmybaldwin

No it's the vehicle indicator that comes on. I'm yet to see light on the rack (although it was sunny so may have been v. dim)

all lights on the vehicle works normally without the rack attached.

The dash light stays constant too

I guess it could be the rack... will try and find someone with a tow bar tomorrow to test it
Post #909353 24th Jun 2021 11:29pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
From what you describe of its condition, it's almost certainly the socket or its wiring. I'd start by taking the socket apart and checking the connections for crud and corrosion. If the cap is broken then it needs replacing anyway but you may be able to revive it for now, at least. Then unplug the wiring harness behind the plastic cover over the back of the lights under the wheel arch and test their continuity. If it's been butchered in the past then it's easy to replace and for this I'd go for a genuine LR kit as they're very good quality. From what I can make out you have a 7 pin socket so this would be perfect:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363167801766?fi...SwxPBgtYuJ Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #909362 25th Jun 2021 7:00am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The source of the problem is still most likely to be that the earth connection in the carrier.
Post #909368 25th Jun 2021 8:25am
balmybaldwin

While waiting for a neihbour to get back who has a towbar, I thought I'd have a bit more of play with multimeter

I'm getting 1.6 Ohm only between ground pin and the chassis which seems reasonably good.
Post #909424 25th Jun 2021 3:27pm
balmybaldwin

New socket turned up today. Plugged it in, and works perfectly.

Now just need to get the old socket off (2 rusty screws down, 3rd is being a pita)
Post #909579 26th Jun 2021 7:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1