↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > AEB issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Blacktom500

United Kingdom 
AEB issue
Love my Defender - been almost perfect over nearly 4 months & 4000 miles.

Today however :

Driving around 35mph, straight road, a cyclist on the pavement rode towards me at a right angle on a junction to my left. We both were at the junction at the same moment. If the cyclist had carried straight on, they’re would have been a collision but they, turned left to continue on the pavement and face the same way as I as you would expect. I was aware of him/her and prepared to avoid but the car took over & jammed the brakes on with AEB warning displayed in the dash. Luckily there was no one behind me as they would very likely have run into the back of my 90.

It certainly gets your attention when the car takes over in this manner and it would have been impressive if needed. I recognise it’s safety benefits but weighing it up, I later decided it wasn’t worth the risk of unnecessary emergency braking and have switched it off.

Anyone else had similar experience or thoughts on this ?
Post #906988 9th Jun 2021 12:03am
Tim in Scotland

It isn’t just AEB but my Lane Keep Assist intervenes even though it is turned off in PiviPro and on the steering wheel - it still runs in the back ground. Frequently I drive the very narrow road on the east side of the Lake if Mentieth and on over to Callander and it’s normal to have to pull over to the left to avoid speeding very large modern tractors but the LKA does its utmost to steer me straight back into their path. Now this us a road with only a white line down the centre, no verge marking white lines , it also doesn’t have any high stone walls along it so what is it that the cameras are picking up! On Saturday I was driving down Longssledale (from the gate onto the Gatescarth Oass down to Sadgill, in the middle of nowhere on a steep downhill rock crawl with HDC but not using ATPC and the LKA on one occassion tried to pull me to the left -in the middle of an open, no high stone walls nearby section of a green lane! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 9th Jun 2021 10:02am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #906998 9th Jun 2021 6:58am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
brilliant that these "safety features" appear to be anything but...............

wonder how the Insurance Company would look at it if damage ensued??
Post #907013 9th Jun 2021 8:38am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Sadly you can’t turn them off, well you can but it turns itself back on each time you restart the car. Hopefully in the future someone will find a way of switching them off permanently in the software.
Post #907020 9th Jun 2021 9:34am
J77

Scotland 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
It isn’t just AEB but my Lane Keep Assist intervenes even though it is turned off in PiviPro and on the steering wheel - it still runs in the back ground. Frequently I drive the very narrow road on the east side of the Lake if Mentieth and on over to Callander and it’s normal to have to pull over to the left to avoid speeding very large modern tractors but the LKA does its utmost to steer me straight back into their path. Now this us a road with only a white line down the centre, no verge marking white lines , it also doesn’t have any high stone walls along it so what is it that the cameras are picking up! On Saturday I was driving down Longssledale (from the gate onto the Gatescarth Oass down to Sadgill, in the middle of nowhere on a steep downhill rock crawl with HDC but not using ATPC and the LKA on one occassion tried to pull me to the left -in the middle of an open, no high stone walls nearby section of a green lane!

Switch Emergency Lane Keep Assist off, I noticed this with mine but it’s not the LKA system it’s the Emergency one that’s the issue Thumbs Up 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #907028 9th Jun 2021 10:44am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Doing that ever time you get in the car gets annoying though.
Post #907044 9th Jun 2021 1:08pm
J77

Scotland 
It is what it is, it’s the world be live in unfortunately. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #907045 9th Jun 2021 1:13pm
Tim in Scotland

My Emergency LKA is off and it stays off even after switching off the engine and locking the car, but it still runs in the back ground despite that. No green illumination on the steering wheel also. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #907056 9th Jun 2021 3:31pm
J77

Scotland 
My LKA assist is off but the Emergency Lane Keep Assist switches back on after every restart and I have to go back into the collision avoidance menu to switch it off.

Also TR is a bit of a pain defaulting to comfort each time it’s switched off. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #907061 9th Jun 2021 4:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1