↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Headlights?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
discojools

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HCPU Fuji White
Headlights?
Just ordered Defender S here bin Australia with only a few extras. I am confused with the headlight options. There is the option of Premium Leds with DRL at $780. When clicking on that option on "build your own" they do look different. My salesman does not know whether these are the same headlights as the standard ones. He is looking into it.
I am really not interested in having the DRL but want to know if these Premium Headlights are more powerful. They are not the Matrix ones, these are not available on my "S".
Post #906989 9th Jun 2021 1:59am
J77

Scotland 
Premium headlights are different, they have the signature DRL but have twice the amount of LEDs as the standard ones.

I opted for them just because I was coming from matrix LEDs 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #907025 9th Jun 2021 10:37am
discojools

Thanks J77, I wonder if they are more powerful than the base ones. I have the Pixel LEDS on my Sport and they don't give much distance. As there is not much sign of a bar at the moment I will not be able to fit proper drivings lights for a while. Really need powerful lights so as not find an errant kangaroo at night.
How is high beam for you?
Post #907039 9th Jun 2021 12:41pm
J77

Scotland 
It’s not been dark enough since picking the Defender up to really try them out yet. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #907040 9th Jun 2021 12:48pm
Regan1980

United Kingdom 
I went for the S model with the premium led headlight and DRL option. To me I think its one of those must have options if you live in the countryside or do a lot of night time motorway driving. I cant answer based on a like for like comparison but compared to my Disco 4 these are so much better with a crisper white light ahead of you.

Here in the New forest its gets pitch black at night with horses and livestock roaming about, I wouldn't want to be without them now. Of course I could cope (have done for 10 years), but they are just so damn good.

Also, the front fog lights are bundled into that price, so another 350 pound or so for the premium just made sense to me. In the context of the overall price I think its a good option.

Hope that helps!

Jon
Post #907181 10th Jun 2021 9:53am
Telemarkskier

United Kingdom 
I have the Defender SE 2020 which is supposed to have the superior LED headlamps. I have to admit they are the weakest high beam of any car I have had since a 1968 Morris 1000 van. So poor, I am considering installing Lazer Lamp Triple R 1250 unit with intelligent low beam assist.[url] https://www.lazerlamps.com[/url]/
With hindsight I wish I had gone for the Matrix Led option. 2020 Defender 110 SE 240D: Fuji White.
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE
2007 Freelander2 HSE (man)
Post #907182 10th Jun 2021 10:11am
discojools

Well I have gone for the Premium Leds and the fog lights at a price of about $1100 which is about £600! Plus all the taxes. You guys are lucky at 350 quid. I am not expecting too much from them though.Can't get the Matrix Leds on an S model here. My current RRS has the Pixel Leds which give a great view of the sides of the road but are hopeless for distance. I will be hoping there is a protection bar available when I get it and will be fitting some proper driving lights.
Anyway will see in December when it finally arrives. By the way I had asked for 11inch screen, bargain at $148 but apparently they are not available any more on any spec except maybe the the HSE.
Have seen that the windscreens are easily broken. Will look into any special coatings I can get for it. Chips in the windscreen are common here especially if you venture into the outback.
Edit: Sorry took price of headlights and fogs off website. They are actually about the same UK price. Does not include taxes though
Post #907228 10th Jun 2021 1:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1