↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > Activity key for MY20. Yes or no?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Found a youtube clip on it and have added to the order. Dogs and MTBing so hopefully it will come in handy
Post #905024 25th May 2021 9:51pm
umbertob

United States 
Chioti wrote:

An interesting side note. In the manual, LR says you can keep a regular key fob in the car. If you then step out of the car and lock it with the Activity Key, the key fob left in the car is deactivated automatically until you unlock the car again.

Not in my experience. The "old" Land Rover activity key (the one that looked like a bracelet without the time display, supplied with other models prior to the new Defender and Activity Key 2 being introduced) behaved that way and disabled the fob left inside the car, I believe. This new one doesn't appear to disable / deactivate anything however, so you should just leave your regular key fobs at home if you will be using the new activity key. 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #905037 26th May 2021 1:50am
Chioti

United States 
How can this be confirmed as it clearly says in my manual that the regular key fob will be disabled? 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Gray, Black Folding Fabric Roof
Post #905139 26th May 2021 5:09pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 

9.30min onwards
Post #905162 26th May 2021 6:18pm
Chioti

United States 
So... this seems to contradict what the manual says. I wonder however if it may be due to their retrofitting through Land Rover?

Click image to enlarge
 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Gray, Black Folding Fabric Roof
Post #905174 26th May 2021 7:16pm
umbertob

United States 
If you already own a working Activity Key, you can easily test this for yourself. Leave a key fob on the driver seat with the window open, lock the doors with the Activity Key and take it in the house, far away from the Defender. Return to the car, grab the supposedly disabled key fob sitting on the driver seat through the open window, and test it. In my experience, it will work normally: open doors, start the engine... 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #905573 29th May 2021 5:56am
Logannz

New Zealand 
Doesn't the fact you have to put the thing in "water" mode defeat the whole purpose? You could just put the fob in a water proof bag too.. The old dumber activity key seems better to me.

Also I wear a proper watch.. I don't really want a second one.. I could just live with the old bracelet style I suppose

Even better.. they could have just made the fobs waterproof.. like they should be!!
Post #905574 29th May 2021 6:18am
umbertob

United States 
You don't "have" to put the activity key in water mode. It is waterproof regardless. And while the old bracelet style activity key could do most of the stuff the new one does, you still needed to lug the key fob around with you (you could leave it in the car, but could not leave home without it), plus there are a few things the new one can do from the touchscreen that were impossible to do with its predecessor: lock or unlock the doors from a fair distance (better than the fob, even), set off the panic alarm... Check the time 😉

Yes, I guess you could put the fob in a watertight enclosure or Ziploc bag, but where would you put it then? In your pockets? You could still lose it. And the last waterproof fob I had (from a 2006 RRS) was a ginormous brick that made the current fob look like a Pininfarina design.

It's really hard to appreciate the convenience of the new Activity Key until you have had one for a while. First day or so, I didn't trust it would work as well as the fob and would leave me stranded somewhere, because it felt so cheap. For a few days after that I had.a series of mild heart attacks when I reached for my front pocket and felt no key fob in there. Now, it's pretty neat not having to carry a key fob anymore when leaving home, regardless of where I go, camping, visiting a customer, river rafting....

My biggest concern is its durability. The cheap plastic screen scratches very easily. The rechargeable battery won't last forever and doesn't look like it is replaceable. And the supplied wristband is kinda hard and uncomfortable. I replaced it with a much softer silicone strap on Amazon, which added a bit needed color as well, see below. I wear it on my "other" wrist every day. Could I live without it? Absolutely, and one day when it breaks I might have to. But I've bought far less useful accessories for my cars than this one in the past.

Click image to enlarge
 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #906713 7th Jun 2021 12:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12