↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > Activity key for MY20. Yes or no?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
umbertob

United States 
Activity key for MY20. Yes or no?
Can't get a straight answer from my useless local dealer, they are perpetually "looking into it" and "will let you know", which in LR-speak means nobody is looking into it and, if it's up to them, I will die not knowing.

I tried includong the $200 activity key back in February, when I ordered my 110 which was delivered in September. At first the option did appear in the website builder (NAS), but it was the only item my dealer could not get a confirmation from the UK when my order was accepted. Later in the year, the activity key disappeared from the MY20 Build Your Own' options and accessories, only to reappear when the 2021s became available. It's once again a $200 accessory for 2021s, not just the Defender but the redesigned MY21 Discovery, too.

Has anyone with a 2020 been able to get an activity key (either with their original order or as a dealer installed accessory after delivery), or are we MY2020 owners out of luck and lacking the hardware or software to add it? 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #866886 12th Nov 2020 8:03am
Tim in Scotland

I believe that there is a difference between 2020 and 2021 versions of Activity Key that may mean the newer version cannot be retro fitted - in the 2021 version you will not need to leave the key fob inside the car while using the activity key bracelet like you do in the 2020 version. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #866896 12th Nov 2020 10:05am
deaston

United Kingdom 
Re: Activity key for MY20. Yes or no?
umbertob wrote:
Can't get a straight answer from my useless local dealer, they are perpetually "looking into it" and "will let you know", which in LR-speak means nobody is looking into it and, if it's up to them, I will die not knowing.

Dealers need to start to wise-up or, soon, there won't be such thing as a dealer.

I didn't speak to a dealer at all because, like you, I've learnt that they don't care, don't know and don't care to find out. So I did all my research using LR's website, Google and YouTube. I even bought the car online.

The dealer just rang to confirm and will hand me the car. No idea if any salesperson at the dealership will get any commission, but they certainly shouldn't.
Post #875705 1st Jan 2021 7:19pm
Enid_Puceflange

Scotland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Baltic Blue
Deaston, to answer your question.....
A sales person will get handed your order to progress when it arrives at the dealership for pdi, valeting handover & organising your admin (registration , incontrol etc)
This will be “Shoved” by the sales manager to his favourite sales person at the time Rolling with laughter
They will be paid for it Thumbs Up My confidence has been writing cheques that my abilities can't cash for years.
Post #875780 1st Jan 2021 11:03pm
J77

Scotland 
I use the same salesman each time, have done for the last 13 years/10 LRs. They ain’t all bad. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #875962 2nd Jan 2021 10:15pm
Q86ARR

Activity Key 2 is for 21MY onwards

Click image to enlarge
Post #883266 4th Feb 2021 11:42pm
umbertob

United States 
Model year is not specified here in the US. I was told by someone from JLR that the Activity Key 2 (working at 315 Mhz here) is compatible with MY20 as long as the vehicle is fitted with keyless entry.

https://accessories.landrover.com/us/en/la...tiary-tabs 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #883267 4th Feb 2021 11:47pm
umbertob

United States 
So, it works and can be retrofitted on MY2020s, at least here in the US.

2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #896380 7th Apr 2021 8:49am
Julep

Jersey 
I have finally been allowed to order my activity key for my Defender. I already have keyless entry but I have to purchase a new ‘KVM’ module as it is not compatible. I don’t know what Model Year mine is but received in Nov2020.

If anyone knows if I can determine the MY from the VIN I would love to know.

I will update when it arrives.

Julian 110 County Station Wagon V8
Freelander Sport Td4
Discovery 4 XS TDV6
Defender X 110 P400
Post #900211 27th Apr 2021 12:52pm
SN

Stick your VIN in here https://www.lrworkshop.com/vin-decoder

This will tell you what MY you have Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #900218 27th Apr 2021 1:45pm
Julep

Jersey 
Great thanks SN,

So yes it is a MY20 so having keyless entry appears not to be the reason just the model year. Having to buy the KVM does add a lot to the activity key option but at least it is possible.

Let’s hope it is worth it!

Freelander Sport Td4
Discovery 4 XS TDV6
Defender X 110 P400
Post #900220 27th Apr 2021 2:08pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Thinking about this for our MY22 but I believe its changed over the MY20?. Also concerned if it has a negative impact on the car's security.
Post #904029 20th May 2021 8:19am
Julep

Jersey 
Hi pjm-84,

Can you explain your security concerns? I would really appreciate it as I may have missed something. Confused

But my understanding, and I have read/watched all I can find, it is just another fob. So we will have 3 keys. The main difference is, I will have a key that is:

1. smaller (and hopefully lighter)
2. water/ sweat proof (so better to go running, swimming and kayaking)
3. rechargeable (I'm always charging things so this is now second nature to keep things topped up)
4. wearable (so I hope more secure as less likely to lose?)

Point 3 is my only concern over longevity. The lithium battery will eventually die so there will be a cost to replace the whole key at some point. Sad

I still don't have the key/fob/watch yet. It is at the dealers and has been there for several weeks (Along with my long awaited compressor) but due to workload they are unable to book me in. Crying or Very sad

Freelander Sport Td4
Discovery 4 XS TDV6
Defender X 110 P400
Post #904032 20th May 2021 8:57am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
I'm not 100% sure how it works. The watch option which acts like a key fob is new to me. I was under the impression that it was a bracelet that you wiggle around by a receiver located in boot. If so, I was concerned that when activated it would broadcast out a constant signal looking for the bracelet. Thus the security concern.

If its acts like a digital 3rd key fob then its no different to a standard fob and therefore I wouldn't have an issue.

I need to find out a little more on the current activity key.
Post #904055 20th May 2021 11:28am
Chioti

United States 
I have the Activity Key for my 2021. As far as I can tell it is simply a 3rd key fob. It has a screen which shows you the time. You swipe up and get buttons to lock/unlock. You swipe up again and can activate the car's horn so you can find it. Finally when you get in the car you can start the engine.

An interesting side note. In the manual, LR says you can keep a regular key fob in the car. If you then step out of the car and lock it with the Activity Key, the key fob left in the car is deactivated automatically until you unlock the car again. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Gray, Black Folding Fabric Roof
Post #904984 25th May 2021 7:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>