↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Who is going to buy it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 13 <123 4 ... 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Grenadier wrote:
I think it's also worth remembering that most business models don't assume 'break even' until Yr 3 and any 'tidy profit' (if it comes) some time after that. So chat about what will be achieved immediately is somewhat missing the point. No doubt the business plan has been calculated in years with any profit not expected for some time. Investment has been huge, especially when looking at the agreement with Merc on the factory, so the idea it will be pulled anytime soon I don't think makes sense.

As a comparison, if we look at just the Defender model, four years of development and (its percentage share) of the investment into the new factory in Slovakia, I wonder how long before JLR expect that model to break even, even with sky high prices and far higher targets for global sales. The Grenadier might be 'niche' but with over 200m new SUVs sold annually, I'd think they'd manage to pinch 0.01% of them. What's more, 50k might be beyond the reach of your average joe, but if you look at how many combined sales Twisted, Bowler, Nene, JE, Urban plus LR special Editions (Heritage, Autobiography, Adventure, V8 etc) achieve in the UK alone, and for prices easily matching if not exceeding 50k, surely they will shift 2k per month?

All may be so, but everything is about money. Dyson lost half a billion before he 'realised' that his return would either take too long, or not appear. Ordinary people grapple with this when it comes to solar panels, etc. Even in my little business, we have to take tooling and development into account. I'm 62, am I going to see that investment returned before I pack up, or worse?

Obviously, Mr Ratcliffe has done the numbers, but so did Dyson (initially). I don't know what the profit is on a £50,000 car, but let's say it's £5,000. That's £125 million a year. That's quite some years (a decade?) before you get your investment back. So that's just to break even on your investment. Only then might you start to see a real profit. As I said before, I think there's going to be some competition for the sector he's aiming for, with vehicles that are much less than £50,000

EDIT:
Just did a little reading, and it's very eye opening. Toyota make just £3,750 on each car (on average) and BMW make £2,272. VW make just £298!!! The actual profit margin for the average car company as a whole appears to come out at just 7.5%. Now left.

Last edited by What puddle? on 15th May 2021 9:07am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #903159 15th May 2021 8:33am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
There’s is another dimension to this as well. The factory has capacity for way more vehicles than Ineos will ever build themselves. It’s therefore seems to me that there’ll be looking rent capacity to other manufacturers. This might prove quite lucrative itself, in these uncertain times when manufacturers might not want invest capital in new plants, unsure of how the uptake of EVs might play out. JLR already contract out production of the iPace. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #903161 15th May 2021 8:52am
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
I read Gordon Murray is going to be looking for space to build his new SUV EV, but I don't know if his istream manufacturing process requires such a plant. Now left.
Post #903164 15th May 2021 9:09am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Grenadier wrote:
Supacat wrote:
Since going on sale in the UK, new registrations for the Defender have averaged 303 per month, including all dealer demo stock, pre-registered cars, experience vehicles and management cars. That's a long way from selling well, even further away from JLR's forecasts.

Supacat, still waiting for a year on year extrapolation to see how many New Def sales are all new to JLR and how many are actually poached from (mainly) the Disco.

Do you mean this info?
Supacat wrote:
Another slant on whether new Defender is cannibalising D5 sales.

Car Industry Analysis (@lovecarindustry) Tweeted:

There’s speculation that the new #LandRoverDefender is cannibalizing the #LandRoverDiscovery. Although the data supports this, the current gen Discovery has been posting sales drops way before the introduction of the new Defender. Arrival of Defender accelerated drop of Discovery

https://t.co/etpw13Onw5 https://twitter.com/lovecarindustry/status...29216?s=20

Click image to enlarge

From here:
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic73382-150.html

Although I'm scratching my head at the old Defender numbers in the run out years, they look very low.

I can crunch official JLR retail sales data and see what it looks like on a global basis...

I added some more data over here, rather than take this thread further off topic:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post903169.html#903169
Post #903165 15th May 2021 9:12am
Philip

United Kingdom 
Ratcliffe surely can’t have gone into this expecting profits - the market for a full-price Grenadire station wagon must be minuscule, any commercial variant is going to be double the cost of the Japanese pickup that does exactly the same job (but likely drives better). That leaves the odd Walt/prepper with £50k+ to spend (can’t see the finance deals being great), the various NGOs, emergency services etc (who’ll likely get them for nothing for the PR) and Ineos themselves.
Post #903177 15th May 2021 11:39am
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Most of the ROI is in the Financing, many car manufacturers make most their money on this element. Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #903178 15th May 2021 11:52am
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Obviously, Mr Ratcliffe has done the numbers, but so did Dyson (initially). I don't know what the profit is on a £50,000 car, but let's say it's £5,000. That's £125 million a year. That's quite some years (a decade?) before you get your investment back. So that's just to break even on your investment. Only then might you start to see a real profit. As I said before, I think there's going to be some competition for the sector he's aiming for, with vehicles that are much less than £50,000

EDIT:
Just did a little reading, and it's very eye opening. Toyota make just £3,750 on each car (on average) and BMW make £2,272. VW make just £298!!! The actual profit margin for the average car company as a whole appears to come out at just 7.5%.[/quote]

Peugeot only makes £600 per car, the money is made on servicing and parts.

Any ideas on the route to market they are taking as a dealer and servicing network takes a lot of investment. If your nearest dealer is 200 miles away would you buy one?
Post #903192 15th May 2021 1:32pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Rather than servicing and parts, I believe many make much their money from finance/lease/PCP. They are effectively a finance house that also sells vehicles. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #903194 15th May 2021 1:39pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Supacat wrote:
Grenadier wrote:
Supacat wrote:
Since going on sale in the UK, new registrations for the Defender have averaged 303 per month, including all dealer demo stock, pre-registered cars, experience vehicles and management cars. That's a long way from selling well, even further away from JLR's forecasts.

Supacat, still waiting for a year on year extrapolation to see how many New Def sales are all new to JLR and how many are actually poached from (mainly) the Disco.

Do you mean this info?
Supacat wrote:
Another slant on whether new Defender is cannibalising D5 sales.

Car Industry Analysis (@lovecarindustry) Tweeted:

There’s speculation that the new #LandRoverDefender is cannibalizing the #LandRoverDiscovery. Although the data supports this, the current gen Discovery has been posting sales drops way before the introduction of the new Defender. Arrival of Defender accelerated drop of Discovery

https://t.co/etpw13Onw5 https://twitter.com/lovecarindustry/status...29216?s=20

Click image to enlarge

From here:
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic73382-150.html

Although I'm scratching my head at the old Defender numbers in the run out years, they look very low.

I can crunch official JLR retail sales data and see what it looks like on a global basis...

I added some more data over here, rather than take this thread further off topic:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post903169.html#903169

So the Defender is taking Discovery sales? They don't seem to be increasing market share. Also got to be influenced by the fact the latest Discovery is a design disaster.
Post #903195 15th May 2021 1:40pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
The Discovery 5’s lack of success is an interesting one, I’m not sure it’s entirely about looks.
Post #903196 15th May 2021 1:44pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
So with the numbers above, does that take in account all those cars built without a buyer that in turn is parked up in an old airfield or at the docks going nowhere.

Ie the bean counters telling manufacturing to build 20 to justify the cost of the one going to the showroom with Mr and Mrs Smith’s name on it.

Which when you think about the global chip shortage, why don’t they just strip the parts from what they have already built….
Post #903197 15th May 2021 1:47pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
I think chance of success also boils down to 'intangibles', one of which is 'follow my leader'. Compare Dyson with Musk. At the outset both with similar goals, yet Musk is the outspoken Silicon Valley entrepreneur/nutcase with mammoth Twitter following, Dyson is a quiet, considered grey haired Englishman with a very low media profile. Who was the 'next generation' of electric cars going to appeal to, mainly middle-to-high income, young-to-middle aged urbanites and so of those two industry behemoths, who's vision were they most likely to follow? The geek or the cool (whether you think he's cool or not is entirely subjective) dude? Most industry and finance experts say the Market Cap for Tesla is based almost entirely on the almost cult like hype that surrounds Musk and his fans rather than anything Tesla actually brings to the automotive market.

Ratcliffe has many, many naysayers, but I think there's part of him that truly believes in British icons and recreating a rugged vehicle for the wilds of planet earth. He's skied to the North and South Poles, ridden motorbikes across continents, overlanded original Defenders etc. He's a man that walks his talk. So I think this is more than just a pet project for him and I believe he will have enough of a following, albeit small, to help bolster those small unit numbers he needs to sell, because they will believe in what he's trying to do. Just look at the reception the monthly updates receive. And the way he's challenged LR, embarrassed them really, by trying to buy the machinery, then fighting them in court and winning, then making them a laughing stock because of their assertions that a new version of the classic Def couldn't be made because of EU legislation. He's not stopped, Not backed down. He's committed and a large part of that can be because he's a gambler, a large part because he wants to show up JLR, but a large part could be because he genuinely wants to make this work and believes it will. An immediate indication in this regard was approaching Steyr to be the main Engineers rather than poaching from JLR. Also, committing to the Merc plant (as much as it rankled with Brits) because it's technically advanced and oven-ready, to use a Brexit analogy. I think this will succeed. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #903198 15th May 2021 1:59pm
Supacat

What puddle? wrote:
All may be so, but everything is about money.

Initial decisions for both Dyson and Ineos were probably anything but.

Look at Dyson's history of being shown the door with his vehicle filters and JLR refusing to sell the Defender tooling.

If both companies were more corporate and not essentially the business projections of the two individuals, do you think either would have got into cars?

What puddle? wrote:
Dyson lost half a billion before he 'realised' that his return would either take too long, or not appear.

From what I've read, it was more about the next stages of investment - many billions of pounds - that put Dyson off, knowing he was going to have to compete with the likes of VW who had then announced the push to electric with a budget of £50 billion.

I'm not sure how much of Dyson's loss is real. Certainly, there will be tax credits and trade offs. Some of the work on batteries may well benefit his other businesses, and there's the patents applied for and held, which may yield something in the future.

What puddle? wrote:
I don't know what the profit is on a £50,000 car, but let's say it's £5,000. That's £125 million a year. That's quite some years (a decade?) before you get your investment back.

That's assuming an investment of £1.25 billion? Where did that figure come from?

Next accounts made up to 31 December 2020 are due by 30 September 2021, so there's more going to be more cost to add, but also an element (or technically more so) of revenue from contract work at the Hambach plant; however, reported cumulative losses stand at under €200 million - €137,124,000 (2019) & €50,996,000 (2018).

Click image to enlarge

What he's paid for the Hambach plant could be anything from £1 to £1 billion. I'd guess it would be at the lower end of that scale.
Post #903202 15th May 2021 2:38pm
Supacat

markb110 wrote:
So with the numbers above, does that take in account all those cars built without a buyer that in turn is parked up in an old airfield or at the docks going nowhere.

I'd say that as it's labelled as registrations, then it's going to follow on from retail sales figures.

There's certainly a higher figure of wholesale units - vehicle sales made to retailers or other external customers.

Then there's any holding stock of JLR's - the last Accounts reported a target Inventory holding of £3 billion or lower.

The last reported gap between retail sales and wholesale units was 7,850 vehicles or just over 17% of all retail sales. So that's vehicles bought by dealers but not sold on yet.
Post #903205 15th May 2021 3:00pm
Supacat

Muddybigdog wrote:
Most of the ROI is in the Financing, many car manufacturers make most their money on this element.

Some figures for JLR from last Annual Accounts:.

"Inventories of finished goods include £466 million (2019: £484 million, 2018: £436 million) relating to vehicles sold to rental car companies, fleet customers and others with guaranteed repurchase arrangements."

"Some contracts with customers include an option or obligation for the Group to repurchase the product sold (including repurchasing a product originally sold as part of an amended product). Such instances are common in the Group’s arrangements with third-party fleet customers or in contract manufacturing arrangements that the Group is party to, for example.

The Group does not recognise revenue on the original sale, as in such cases it is considered to retain ultimate control of that product. The related inventory therefore continues to be recognised on the Group’s consolidated balance sheet and the consideration received from the customer is treated as a liability."
Post #903206 15th May 2021 3:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 13 <123 4 ... 111213>