↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Aussie Swags - Anyone used one in UK/EU? Thoughts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Tribord wrote:
New option - a lightweight roof top tent from Decathlon - [url] https://www.quechua.fr/tente-de-toit-van500[/url]

Only 16kgs! It has been designed for vans without roof bars, but it should fit if you have a full length roof rack - I would just just need 4 holes for eyebolts on my Brownchurch.
Price is €550 including awning and ladder, available from June.

Interesting. It's not cheap for what it is though, (as I assume the tent materials will be the same as the rest of their range, so not particularly heavy duty), and it's quite small. This woman doesn't pack down for her local rugby team as far as I can tell.

Click image to enlarge

And if Mrs Grenadier had an epiphany and suddenly decided sleeping on the roof of my DC was a worthwhile exploit, she'd want the most comfy, and understandably so. I can do the uncomfortable stuff on my own.

At that price I'd prefer to pay the extra grand and get a proper roof tent. But if you have a roof rack, you could always do what this lot have done and either get a bigger tent for the same money as above, or a similarly small tent as above but for less money.

Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #901442 5th May 2021 5:40am
CharlieDonuts

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
but I’m obsessed about it being low profile and rigid

I’m also concerned about extra weight

two person set up

Set up or close down in 60 secs. Pitch anywhere. Drive off easily.

you cannot look inside if somebody opens the zip = 100% privacy on camping sites

Bonjour Monsieur Grenadier. Why not the autohome carbon fiber roof tent? With two roof bars its comes in well below the dynamic load of a Landrover; 75 Kg for a 90, not sure what that is for a DC. With a roof rack I guess that it’s just slightly over.

https://shop.autohome-official.com/en/colu...fiber.html

Yes its expensive, yes its very very expensive, but for someone like you, a pro-camper, it will be used and will meet all your needs. I believe also that that the resale value is high, particularly if you resell at the start of the season when Autohome have their highest backlog.

As a rank debutant, its too expensive for a punt, I have an ARB swag waiting for me in Poitiers, that an a tarp should suffice, least until this new way of life takes hold. However my primary interest is fly fishing wild camping, so I am definitely thinking in this direction.

Charlie Donuts

PS the known unknown for me is the dynamic load, but if I tipped the Land Rover for want of a couple of grand, I`d feel like a right proper ninny, and remember I am the one that blew up my turbocharger with an oil change, so if someone is going to do it, it will inevitably be me

Last edited by CharlieDonuts on 1st Jul 2021 9:11am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #910248 1st Jul 2021 8:18am
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
Cheers Charlie - 30 mins of my day wasted, drooling over Italian overpriced roof tents, I have absolutely no intention of buying!! Laughing

After serious consideration, if I had 3,000 euro to burn, I'd go for the:

https://shop.autohome-official.com/en/sint...irtop.html

Shame it's not carbon fibre, based on the other models, I reckon a small would weigh ~55kg in carbon. 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #910257 1st Jul 2021 8:58am
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
@Grenadier

Isn't the Roofnest Falcon the same as the Tentbox Cargo?

https://tentbox.com/product/tentbox-cargo/

Roofnest says on its homepage "made in the USA" and Tentbox says "made in the UK"? Rolling Eyes

I suppose "made in China" and they either include english instruction manual and accessories in the USA or UK. 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #923077 27th Sep 2021 6:38pm
west4x4

United Kingdom 
Anyone seen these in the canvas? Aussie style but uk based so no import worries

https://wingmanoftheroad.com/
Post #941441 7th Feb 2022 5:50pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Im going to re ignite this thread.

Grenadier what setup did you go for in the end?

Im currently toying with the idea of getting a swag. I currently use a eurohike avon ground tent which is great if staying somewhere for a couple of days but if changing location every day i find it a bit of a pain to put up and down and put all the gear in it and take all the gear out, pumping airbeds etc.

Ive just been on a camping weekend in wales with 3 other guys using outhaus swags, which is a uk company making replicas of the aussie ones essentially.
https://outhaus.co/shelter-ground-cover/swags/

They all just got out their trucks unrolled it on the floor, added 2 poles and they were done. I was so jealous. A total setup time of way under 5 minutes. Meanwhile me and a mate setting up my eurohike avon took about 20 minutes by the time we had put up the tent, fitted the inner, pegged the guys thrown in the airbed and inflated it, got the sleeping bags and pillows etc etc. And going home was the reverse, they took nothing out, rolled it up and chucked it in the truck in under 5. The other advantage they all had was they slept so darn well, i was awake at the crack of dawn because of the light and the sound of the birds but the guys in the swags slept for over an hour longer than me because the canvas fully blocks out the light and they dont flap in the wind.

The only negatives i see is that theyre quite bulky but when you factor in you dont have to carry the air bed, pump, the sleeping bags would be inside theyre not too bad. I was planning on using a tarp setup over the top. I usually pitch up a tarp anyway, itll just be a case of dragging the swag underneath if its raining.

Im going to visit one of the guys who has one this weekend with the mrs to see if it gets her approval which will decide if i get the 1 or 2 man version.
Post #955151 10th Jun 2022 7:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12