↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Oil Filter housing gasket replacement.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
andylee

United Kingdom 
Oil Filter housing gasket replacement.
Ive traced an oil leak back to what can only be (or at least I think it must be) the oil filter housing gasket.
Has anybody got any tips on performing the replacement of this ? I can see its going to be tricky as access is limited but it does look like its just going to be 3 bolts.
Is any sealant required or is it just a straight gasket swap ?
Any helpful suggestions or tips are appreciated
many thanks
Andy
Post #901237 3rd May 2021 7:10pm
Sicastle71

England 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Alaska White
Is it the rotary filter or the main oil filter at the back of the engine
Post #901249 3rd May 2021 7:56pm
andylee

United Kingdom 
Its the main screw on filter housing that attaches to the oil cooler I’m referring too,
Post #901252 3rd May 2021 8:04pm
andylee

United Kingdom 
Its the main screw on filter housing that attaches to the oil cooler I’m referring too,

This part no - LVH100230
Post #901255 3rd May 2021 8:09pm
Sicastle71

England 1999 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Alaska White
Ok that’s the rotary filter the td5 has 2 filters the main filter at the back of the engine and the rotary at the front. Should be easy enough to get off and replace the gasket shouldn’t need any sealant the gasket has a raised section around the oil inlets so when tightening the bolts down tighten each one gradually in a pattern that ensures the housing seats back in evenly
Post #901260 3rd May 2021 8:42pm
andylee

United Kingdom 
Nice one, thank you
Post #901269 4th May 2021 4:49am
davidblythe

England 
I had a leak from the turbo oil return line, only mention this as i first thought it was from the centrifugal filter 1999 90 TD5 CSW
2006 110 TD5 HD Commercial
Post #901283 4th May 2021 8:36am
andylee

United Kingdom 
Hi David, the Turbo Oil Rtn was upgraded a while back but will have another check The oil leak is appearing much higher up on the block than that, and not running down onto the oil filter itself as have checked the seal and changed that. Not sure exactly how much pressure it would take to spurt it up there so going for the Oil filter housing gasket first and hopefully that solves it. I will then work my way up the block hopefully not oil cooler or head gasket as I assume there would then also be oil in the coolant reservoir or coolant in the oil leak. Then possibly rocker cover gasket or cam covers but have checked those and they seem ok. Can’t think of much else that could be leaking oil...(famous last words)
It’s just such an awkward place to trace a leak from just waiting for an extendable led examination mirror to arrive ...anyway thanks for your suggestion, any other suggestions are welcome as its not impossible that I’m missing something...
Post #901288 4th May 2021 9:04am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Be aware that there can be corrosion issues with the oil cooler, which is in the alloy casting to which the centrifugal filter housing bolts. It is possible that you may find that the source of the leak is the cooler.

Although it requires rather more dismantling, if you are doing the work yourself you may find it is worth removing the turbo and the exhaust manifold to access the oil cooler/filter group from above, it is very much easier to see what is happening this way. It also gives you a chance to check/replace the manifold studs and check the famously-leaky threaded coolant plug in the head under the manifold.

The photos below are of my Disco2 but gives an idea of the access available from above.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #901292 4th May 2021 9:51am
andylee

United Kingdom 
thanks for the pictures, they give me a much better look at what’s going on on the side of the block. If it came to removing the manifold then I would have to ask my garage to do it as that’s out of my comfort zone and I would be terrified of breaking studs and then having an unmovable Land Rover...
Would I be right in thinking if the oil cooler is corroding then oil and coolant would be mixing in the overflow tank and coolant might be visible in the leak ? What is the symptom of a corroded oil cooler ? (Like I need more to worry about)
I’m pretty sure it’s pure oil (and muck) running down the side of the block and pooling on the ledge of the sump to block. It started a couple of weeks ago and Ive been monitoring it. It’s not really effecting any fluid levels yet but I did some reading up and it seems to be a very common place for leaks usually, as mentioned earlier its the oil rtn pipe but in this case less likely..
Post #901299 4th May 2021 10:30am
TD5Neil

England 
I had a rotor filter housing go porous and was leaking oil. Thought it was the gasket at first but after cleaning the area it was clear it was coming from the housing itself. You can find used ones on eBay. Cheers, Neil
Post #901306 4th May 2021 11:33am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
andylee wrote:
Would I be right in thinking if the oil cooler is corroding then oil and coolant would be mixing in the overflow tank and coolant might be visible in the leak ? What is the symptom of a corroded oil cooler ? (Like I need more to worry about)

You are right, generally if the oil cooler itself leaks it either leaks coolant into the sump or oil into the coolant, usually (fortunately) the latter since the oil pressure is generally higher than the coolant pressure. That being said the alloy casting is a fairly complex structure and it is possible for oil to leak out of it. I think it is more likely that your initial assessment is correct, but with Landrovers you should always expect the unexpected and predict the unpredictable!

Removing the manifold etc is not a difficult job and it unlikely to cause even a novice problems if you take it gently and don't force anything. The biggest hurdle to overcome is usually a lack of self-confidence.

Another very common problem with the centrifugal filter housing is that the threads in the lower part of the housing strip. If this happens there are three things you can do - firstly (and most commonly) do nothing, drop the screw back into place and hope nobody notices, secondly use a longer screw (I think it is M6 but it might be M8, I can't remember) with a nut on the bottom, and thirdly do it properly and helicoil the damaged thread. Option 1 can lead to leaks and could possibly be your problem, but it doesn't sound likely.

The disadvantage to option 2 is that the bottom face of the housing isn't perpendicular to the axis of the hole, so a nut is a crappy fit and tends to bend the screw.
Post #901312 4th May 2021 12:16pm
andylee

United Kingdom 
Re: Oil Filter housing gasket replacement.
andylee wrote:
Ive traced an oil leak back to what can only be (or at least I think it must be) the oil filter housing gasket.
Has anybody got any tips on performing the replacement of this ? I can see its going to be tricky as access is limited but it does look like its just going to be 3 bolts.
Is any sealant required or is it just a straight gasket swap ?
Any helpful suggestions or tips are appreciated
many thanks
Andy

Gasket on oil filter housing replaced today and the oil leak is no more.
Simple job 3 Bolts, clean surfaces, replace gasket and re fit bolts being careful not to over tighten.
Didnt need to remove anything else just a a bit tricky for access but used my hands as eyes.

thanks again to everyone who responded to this post.

Case closed on that job.
Post #903927 19th May 2021 3:38pm
cykoh85

Malaysia 1990 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Santorini Black
Hi bro, so,do you apply any sealant for the oil filter housing gasket? I am going to replace it soon. Thank you Smile
Post #988321 9th Apr 2023 12:40am
murph81

Ireland 2007 Defender 110 Td5 PU Belize Green
No sealant needed just clean surfaces and a new gasket.

The gasket has a raised edge around the perimeter of the orifice that compresses and creates the seal when the bolts are tightened.
Post #988322 9th Apr 2023 5:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>