↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Do you keep your Defender clean?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Fellrunner

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Tim in Scotland wrote:
boxoftricks wrote:
Heaven forbid any of the new defenders get muddy........ Rolling with laughter

Plenty of them are, and they are being used as work vehicles not mall cruisers/ school buses

Hmmmm ....
Post #899373 21st Apr 2021 7:41pm
Digger2000

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Other HT Tonga Green
lord-haggis wrote:
While not owning a new Defender, We've never left any of the farm stuff caked in mud as its a pain in the arse if you need to work on anything and it acts as an abrasive on any moving joint. Its also a great way to trap any acidic substances in nooks in the chassis which leads to more rust and more failure.

Put it this way in the worst of the winter salt, mud and grime my 2003 110 was washed depending on how bad it was, sometimes daily. It may be a utility truck but if its caked in crap and rusting out its not much use. I've never understood why its cool to not take care of something, new or old.

When I worked on grain stores we would steam and hot wash all the trucks, loaders and site vehicles every 5 days, you could eat your dinner of the bucket of the loaders.

100% agree
Post #899388 21st Apr 2021 8:31pm
Regan1980

United Kingdom 
I always keep my cars clean.

I cleaned the new defender for the first time at the weekend. Here in the new forest and I drive on the gravel tracks a lot and it got very dusty (it does look great when filthy) but as others have said you have to clean it.

My process:

Auto Glym Pola Blast snow foam (I do not pre wash the car, this going straight on the car while its dry and cool)

Wait 10 mins and then jet wash with clean water

Using a lambswool mitt and two bucket approach. 1st with Auto Glym shampoo conditioner, 2nd just cold tap water (cleans the mitt of any grit before dunking into the shampoo)

I go quite slowly with the mitt over the whole car and then the wheels, you cant rush it.

Set the jet wash to its rain setting and just rinse the whole car

Finally using two micro fibre cloths, 1st to dry down the car then use a second one which is completely dry to remove any final water marks.

All in about 40 mins.
Post #899495 22nd Apr 2021 11:06am
zilch

Australia 
usually only hand washed, using the one and a half bucket method, it usually starts off as the two bucket method, but after
the first dip of the mitt into the clean water to remove any grit/dirt, i usually forget/give up and just keep using the
soapy bucket. The Xpel PPF /ceramic coat forgives many sins Whistle .. usually done every two weeks, live literally
100 metres from a surf beach, salt spray is a bitch.. so it has to be done yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #899498 22nd Apr 2021 11:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123