↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Should I buy 2.4 110 XS now or wait for 2.2 in December?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
It's definitely no longer a farm hack etc then Sad Blimmen modern technology.

If I was running a business like a boat yard, farm, etc with stop start motoring. I would go for a Tdi, the whole nature of the Land Rover has changed unfortunately. Even I would struggle with it for my type of business and private use e.g. school runs and work within a 2 mile radius - good job I have a 2.4 and a Series to cope with this type of use Rolling Eyes .
Post #85754 23rd Aug 2011 6:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Diesel Particulate Filter
My BM has one of these you know when it is going through its cycle as it generates loads of heat and the engine feels like it is missing slightly, other than that it is pretty unobtrusive. I do loads of driving around town upto about 5 miles to work and back, but it gets a good thrashing most weekend so no issues so far. Did set fire to a field once though as the exhaust was so hot. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #85797 23rd Aug 2011 9:29pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
There's also the price rise to consider...

It's the 110 Utility (County) I am interested in.

The OTR price increases from £27,575 (2011) to £28,195 (2012).

More money for a smaller engine Confused Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #86040 25th Aug 2011 10:58am
Honker

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
DPFs are relatively trouble free but they will need a regeneration cycle if you do a lot of idling/short journeys. How many hours you can get away with depends on what type of useage. Dealers are meant to explain this to customers but if there is no petrol choice then its often 'overlooked'. If the warning light does come on ( on any dpf equipped vehicle) then the thing you should not do is turn the engine off in a 'crap a warning light has come on so best turn off before more damage is done' , if anything a decent 10-15min run around will start the cycle and you'll be fine. If you do ignore the warning light then depending on the system you'll normally get a more urgent message to go for a drive ...if you ignore that then get the wallet out.
When we get to eu6 emissions then it looks like we'll be using the same tech as on the trucks with urea injection...which'll be nice.

Stu
Post #86042 25th Aug 2011 11:11am
spudfan

Ireland 
Remember when one of the diesel engine's plus points was it's inherent simplicity?
How many tractors do you see running about spewing out black smoke with headlights ( or light) pointing skyward?
How about those big spike things on the back of tractor's for shifting bales? They are a bigger threat to pedestrian safety than the front of any Land Rover.
Bureaucracy gone mad. Cannot blame Land Rover, they are just following the rules.
We will probably have to tow our Defenders around using electric cars to comply with rules in the future. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #86054 25th Aug 2011 12:02pm
isv

Thanks for all the advice. New grey 110 xs utility 2.4 coming week after next. Decided that the 2.2 gave me no discernible benefit and I might end up regretting presence of a DPF...
Post #87333 3rd Sep 2011 12:50am
wslr

United Kingdom 
isv wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. New grey 110 xs utility 2.4 coming week after next. Decided that the 2.2 gave me no discernible benefit and I might end up regretting presence of a DPF...

My thinking exactly.

I wonder if the engine tuners will have any joy with the EU6 models?
Post #87389 3rd Sep 2011 11:47am
Carl l

As others have said, I wouldn't be worried by the DPF, they are much-improved from the first year they were on vehicles and I haven't had any issues in the last four years driving various vehicles in start-stop environments.

That said, I'd get the 2.4 as I prefer the extra 200cc capacity. If the 2.2 offered far better power and economy I'd get it, but power is basically the same while the economy improvement must be negligible or they'd be shouting it from the rooftops.
Post #87423 3rd Sep 2011 4:03pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
So if the DPF fails, how much is one to replace over the cost of not having one at all?
Post #87424 3rd Sep 2011 4:06pm
Carl l

wslr wrote:
So if the DPF fails, how much is one to replace over the cost of not having one at all?

I think, off the top of my head, you're looking at about 1,200 pound, fitted at a main stealer. I haven't had one fail (my estate has 90k on it), but at 120k I'm pretty sure they are close to the end of their life. A downside and not a small amount, but over the life of the vehicle not a huge amount but certainly a little irksome.

For the record, I'm not a huge fan of DPFs largely due to the heat but this is what we have to stop the black smoke and at least they seem to have them "down". Current: 2011 Shogun SWB 3.2td 200hp stock, Auto (my knees are shot), but this is a great farm truck
Prev: a Disco (got old), a Range Rover (too ostentatious) and a Defender (knees).
Tractor: 1993 Ford 8830, 6.6td, 180hp at PTO stock
Post #87428 3rd Sep 2011 4:20pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Lookers Park Royal wrote:
The figures so far from Land Rover are identical performance and fuel economy, the speed limit is increased to 90mph though.

On the XS there are very minor detail changes to the seat stitch pattern and the rear door lock, the other models do get a few adjustments.

Jeremy

As far as the speed limit goes, get a 2.4 and justify the saving to fit a quality speed-unlimiter. Mine cost 500 quid and the Landy now goes smoothly above 90 mph with no "choking" Smile
Post #89648 17th Sep 2011 6:59pm
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
One thing to consider if you live near London is that the 2.2 is Euro 5 and the 2.4 is Euro 4.

The LEZ needs at least Euro 4 now but in a few years that is bound to change so you may get more resale value on a Euro 5 which could still go into the zone. I no doubt that more and more of these LEZs will appear so if you're no plussed on the 2.2 vs 2.4 debate might be better to get a 2.2 to meet the newer regulations.
Post #89681 17th Sep 2011 10:03pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
... and I thought Munich's LEZ laws were bad...
Post #89683 17th Sep 2011 10:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123