↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > V8 90 Soft top thread! at last!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 12 <123 ... 101112>
Print this entire topic · 
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Cant believe its been September since I updated the thread. Time really does fly at the moment. Ive been fairly busy on extending my current man shed which meant the landie work slowed down a bit however some progress has been made.

First up the new man shed. Really happy with him its turned out and amazing how a bit of extra space makes you feel like getting on with it lol.

Click image to enlarge

The latest shot of the landie then. So quite a bit done since last time. Obviously the big stuff is that all the body work is now on. Visually its looking very complete, with just the headlights etc needing fitting. This weekend I refitted the winch cable and fitted the megafuses to connect it up, fitted the hood headrail and the bonnet is now bolted up and fitted. I bought some hinges from GORE some time back and it turns out they wont fit Big Cry Had to put the originals on. They wont slip over the hooks on the bulkhead, weird.

Click image to enlarge

So thats the good stuff, the bad and ugly is that im still struggling getting it running properly. Ive learnt so much lol, but still not working.

The below was actually an improvement lol. After buying some spark testers and a mechanics stethoscope, on the upside the injectors are all ticking nicely as I thought I could have had a stuck open injector. However when using the spark tester I found a whole coil pack wasnt working Big Cry Turned out it wasnt powered due to a wiring fault. In the video below thats now fixed.

The above is pretty much where im at today with the engine. Its obviously running mega mega rich belching black smoke out. Now ive confirmed im getting spark and obviously copies amounts of fuel, im thinking timing needs properly checking and the engine map.

I had a play with the mapping and changed a couple of settings, req_fuel which is the base injector opening time in Ms (supposed to be set by virtue of engine CC and injector size) to a lower number and the engine is actually happier. I also changed the timing trim value and moving it +40 also makes it happier so im thinking my actual timing is ballsed up.

Ill know this thing inside out by the time im done lol Rolling with laughter

Must be getting there as I've now got a list of jobs remaining! As you can tell from the wording im about to rope in some help to get it over the line. Hopefully it gets there soon!

• Bonnet
o Fit bonnet stay
• Doors
o Fit door rubbers - supplied
• Brakes
o Hard lines from rear axle flexi.
o Front braided hoses and hardlines.
o Pads - supplied
• Clutch
o All hardlines and flexi. Got some parts but not sure they are correct.
o Fit clutch slave – supplied.
• Rear propshaft – fit. New bolts supplied.
• Wings
o Fit headlamps/indicators/sidelights & surrounds
o Make 2x wing looms and fit
o Fit wing arches.
• Windscreen
o Supply and fit windscreen. New rubber supplied
• Wipers – Fit arms and cut off wiper rack/cable end.
• Lights – check all lights. Not sure they all work.
• Suspension – something wrong on the panhard area. I think theres a bit missing. Body moves when moving steering
• Dashboard
o Final fit and attach heater controls etc.
o Fit speedo cable and Tbox gear to suit
• Fit alternator cable – supplied.
• Fit gearbox shround in cab.
• Engine
o Seem to have a coolant leak around intake area
o Seem to have a oil leak around oil pressure sensor
o Spare wire off loom. Don’t know what its for.
o Timing is definitely off.
• Radiator – Create thermostat wiring loom (bits supplied)
• Gearbox/Tbox
o Fill with oil – supplied
o Fit the hilo lever – supplied.
o Fit bellhousing cover - supplied
• Axles
o Fill with oil – supplied
o Fit rear half shafts – ive got 200tdi ashcrotft shafts but don’t know if they will work with these later axles?
• Exhaust
o Sort out middle hanger. Cut off existing and create new one. Ive supplied
• Chassis
o Need to modify (so it misses exhaust) and fit gearbox cross member
Post #883899 8th Feb 2021 9:52am
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
What a magnificent shed. You must be very pleased 😀 JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #883901 8th Feb 2021 10:33am
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Hey all. Just a little update for you, but first some alfa love. Whilst the landie has been lurking at a local indie ive had chance to do some fettling on the alfa. its ace.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Mr. Green

So the landie. Well its very very nearly done. Were talking about MOT's lol which I never thought would happen. My big list above is 90% done. Had some surprises with the gearbox. The guy fitted the clutch hydraulics and couldnt get a pedal, turns out the gearbox input shaft doesnt quite reach the crankshaft!!! wtf. diagnosed to using the wrong bellhousing, which is also why I had such a struggle with gearbox chassis mounts. It was fitted with a LT77 V8 bellhousing, and not a R380 one, and magically the difference is 25mm.... anyhow sorted now. lessons learnt as they look identical.

The one issue which is still causing major problems is the engine... .specifially the ECU. If you remember its megasquirt which I dont think is the issue but theres obviously hardly anyone who knows their onions with it. Ive done so much googling and self learning I actually understand how to work it now. The problem in a nutshell is massively rich running. fouled plugs, diesel like black smoke, its even destroyed my cats blowing them out the exhaust..... I will fix it!

The next/last big big decision. I wasnt going to get it painted, rather I wanted the ratty off roader look given its original intended purchase many moons ago. Well things change and ive had a reasonable quote of 1200 to get it fully painted which im taking up. It goes to the paint shop at end of this month!! Big decision, keep it white, or channge the colour?? You will see the ideas from the other thread on here in general but after a lot of consideration and changing of minds.... ive been stuck on this now for the last few days..... I give you bahama gold!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Mine will keep the galv cappings unpainted and bumper/tree sliders. Rear cross member to be painted gloss black, and obviously keep my exisitng black tilt.

Dont hate me lol Rolling with laughter

oh last thing.... told DVLA of the changes. they didnt laugh at me, just asked for an engine invoice. sent off. we shall see if the jobs worths want anything else. Insurance company happy with the 'mods' although £500 was salty!
Post #896318 6th Apr 2021 8:12pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
That Alfa is drool worthy!! Can I suggest it’s own thread in the OT section?
Post #896352 7th Apr 2021 5:09am
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Ha, I might do. Maybe this is a strategy, ill put my land rover on the alfa forum Mr. Green
Post #896379 7th Apr 2021 7:43am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
A vid of that 4 pot screaming down the road would be very well received!!
Post #896531 7th Apr 2021 5:50pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Bit of an update. Still got the engine issues and eventually ran out of time before it went to the paint shop. It’s back from paint shop tomorrow and getting rebuilt!

I’ve also got my new v5 with engine change!!!!
Post #900121 26th Apr 2021 6:55pm
jonny

Let me know if you need any help on the Megasquirt - I'm not the worlds greatest expert but I'm running it on my v8 (and one of my other cars too) so may be able to give some advice if needed...
Post #900131 26th Apr 2021 7:33pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Exciting! Can't wait to see it!! Hope you get the engine sorted. Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #900133 26th Apr 2021 7:36pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Thanks guys. Im sure the engine is sortable but the MOT gives me nightmares, especially as its a 1994 vehicle which requires cats in the exhaust.

The main issue ive been facing with the engine is that its running ridiculously rich, like black plugs, black smoke, cat destroying rich. not pretty. Early days it was definately a coil pack down but this is resolved, and its now running on 8 but was still rich. Ive found another tell tale which is the engine MAP (manifold absolute pressure) showing up in MS hovers around 80kpa, now it should be around 30-40kpa. More KPA = more fuel as it assums the throttle is open, so ive obviously got an air leak. ive found a 6mm barb behind the TB with nothing on it, and a leak around the PWM boss both of which need sorting and then ill see where its up to. The upside is that ive learnt tons about it and it doesnt phase me anymore but id just like to get it sorted now.

The job list to go is pretty tiny tbh comparing it to the above.
Wings - Fit headlamps/indicators/sidelights & surrounds, Make 2x wing looms and fit, Fit wing arches.
Wipers – Fit arms and cut off wiper rack/cable end.
Lights – check all lights are working
Suspension – something wrong on the panhard area. I think theres a bit missing. Body moves when moving steering
Dashboard - Final fit and attach heater controls etc. Fit speedo cable and Tbox gear to suit
Engine - Oil change due to petrol in oil (rich issue), Seem to have a coolant leak around intake area, Seem to have a oil leak around oil pressure sensor.
Gearbox - Fit the hilo lever – supplied.

Anyhow ill post up some pics just as soon as its looking rebuilt again, as they had to dissamble half the body for paint Laughing
Post #900143 26th Apr 2021 8:14pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Its back from the paint shop, heres a sneak peak. im completely blown away by how good its turned out.

Click image to enlarge
Post #900593 29th Apr 2021 6:24pm
L110CDL

England 
Very nice green Cool 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #900791 30th Apr 2021 8:27pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Looks amazing!! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #900801 30th Apr 2021 9:15pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
That’s a funny shade of yellow?! Laughing Laughing
Post #900904 1st May 2021 4:51pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
I went to see the bahama gold one at jim hallam, one look and it wasnt for me lol. pretty sure it would look ace in portugal but not so sure in leek lol.
Post #900939 1st May 2021 7:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 12 <123 ... 101112>