Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
Blue Beastie
Finally my first defender is here.

Click image to enlarge

She's not perfect but as far as my amateur eye can tell the Chassis is solid, but with a bit of surface rust. Signs of old Waxoyl treatment, but mostly gone. All the outriggers are OK, the rear bulkhead is good and not repaired as far as I can tell. Front Bulkhead seems(?) to be unrepaired and unblemished but windscreen seal is cracked around the corners so will need doing soonish

There's plenty to do not least the Stereo and Cigarette lighter don't work, which is probably first job to get my dashcam working.

Some bubbling ALu corrosion around the rain gully at the back, and in need of a respray at least in some areas and a rusty bolts holding body together that needs tackling, but she drives well and I'm pretty happy.

Also discovered it's got Central Locking & aftermarket (I think) alarm and immobiliser that I need to investigate. Especially as I only have one set of keys and will probably change locks etc

Oh and this is my excuse for getting it... who I now discover needs a ladder/ramp to get in & out Dog

Click image to enlarge
Post #899731 23rd Apr 2021 7:23pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
NiceπŸ‘
Post #899732 23rd Apr 2021 7:26pm
balmybaldwin

And after looking at those pics again, I've just gone and checked, and I think the rear windows are on the wrong sides.... They are supposed to open at the front aren't they?
Post #899734 23rd Apr 2021 7:34pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Looks great and welcome πŸ‘πŸ» Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #899736 23rd Apr 2021 7:40pm
Smyles_

Denmark 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Awesome, congratulations and welcome to the club of numpties that wave at one another! Very Happy

Make sure you have some extra security mods on that early to-do list, whether you tell us here or not Thumbs Up

No idea about your windows, but your passenger looks absolutely delighted! Cool Stuart

Cummins 130 Build Thread
Instagram

04 110 Double Cab - Black (gone)
58 130 Double Cab HCPU - Cairns Blue
Post #899737 23rd Apr 2021 7:51pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Nice

Love the colour

Put security close to the top of your to do list. Windscreen rubber, if not leaking wait until you have to replace the screen. They all crack in the corners.

Lanoguard for the chassis. You can buy a kit, its environmentally friendly and its more fun when you can do it yourself. Check out their You Tube channel for help and inspiration.

Soundproofing will aid doggy comforts as well. Silent Coat can supply a whole kit or by boxes of twenty and if ordered before 2pm they can normally give you a 24 delivery (DPD). You just need a heat gun, they can supply the roller.

Whilst you have the head lining out for the soundproofing consider a stereo with a camera. then run the cable along the roof inner gutter before you put the headlining back. Also if you get something like a Skytag Tracker attach that to the inner roof away from any of the pop fixing so removal (if stolen) is as awkward as possible.

Then the rest i would say check bushes, suspension, ball joints.

Have fun and enjoy the summer of Defender tinkering Thumbs Up
Post #899742 23rd Apr 2021 8:10pm
bluebottle

United Kingdom 
balmybaldwin wrote:
And after looking at those pics again, I've just gone and checked, and I think the rear windows are on the wrong sides.... They are supposed to open at the front aren't they?

I'd say yes but it's quite possible LR messed up in the factory. Quality control never seems to have been their strong suit... Whistle

Mine open at the front end.
Post #899756 23rd Apr 2021 9:15pm
balmybaldwin

Can't blame Landy for these windows... it was once van.

Thanks for the tips, will have a look into Lanoguard I was thinking of dinitrol(sp?) or Waxoyl but if Lanoguard works and is nicer to use then may well do that.

Security is already on the list and a few bits have already gone on to it, and a camera is pointed at it.
Post #899765 23rd Apr 2021 10:40pm
balmybaldwin

So after a couple of days of lovely sunshine, and not going anywhere near water, I was somewhat surprised to see a small puddle on the floor on the drivers side about the diameter of a Mug this morning under the pedals. Feeling around I couldn't find any source for the liquid to have dripped from.

Under the floor mat is a bit wet too.

Liquid doesn't smell, and appears to be water, however the only way I can think it got there is from the rear screen wash (which I tested saturday to find nothing coming out... didn't investigate, just added to the niggle list), but I'm wondering if this could be how the water got there as I don't know where the tubing is routed for the rear sprayer (I'm assuming it's routed from the front) (although the washer bottle water is quite blue so I'd expect it to smell or have a taste to it).

Only other thought is following the dealer wash before I picked it up which would mean a reservoir of water somewhere in the cabin area that didn't spill out driving home, but mysteriously did over night.

Any ideas?
Post #899981 25th Apr 2021 9:31pm
markb110

The pipe for the rear screen washer runs up the passenger side A post so that wont be the issue on the drivers side.

If no water is coming out when you press the rear window wash it is worth taking off the A pillar trim to ensure the previous owner did not put the screw though it and block the water flow.

I did that and it took me five years to notice as i never use my rear wash wipe. Laughing

Water on the drivers side could be a leak from the front washer behind the dash or i am guessing that after the wash water got into the internal roof gutter and then crept forwards if you park at an angle.

If the later there is a section here on Defender leaks. Chances are it a seam seal in the roof

Useful video

Good luck
Post #899988 25th Apr 2021 10:17pm
balmybaldwin

Interesting.... I did test the front washer which worked, but may have leaked too I guess. One of the squirters is way off and spraying high so that could be the source of a drip from the roof too.
Post #900002 26th Apr 2021 12:02am
markb110

Another video that could be of help'

Worth subscribing to Mike's channel Thumbs Up
Post #900151 26th Apr 2021 9:39pm
balmybaldwin

Thanks.. Subscribed, already picked up a few things that are quick and easy to make things better.

I can also report my first fix is completed. I now have power to my cigarette lighter (and dashcam as required for insurance)

However I haven't got he stereo working yet as I ran out of light and couldn't see anything obvious wrong apart from this unidentified plug (Orange arrow) connected in someway to the stereo harness (green arrow)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #900289 27th Apr 2021 10:05pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Nice motor there Thumbs Up yeah i do wonder about how these were put together, My tub seals are off set. I dont think they have been changed at all.
i would fit a removerable boss and redouble the security where its parked if possible, Before you throw anymore money at it. you do get some nice people that like to take these Rolling Eyes Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #900311 28th Apr 2021 5:58am
Procta

United Kingdom 
balmybaldwin wrote:
Thanks.. Subscribed, already picked up a few things that are quick and easy to make things better.

I can also report my first fix is completed. I now have power to my cigarette lighter (and dashcam as required for insurance)

However I haven't got he stereo working yet as I ran out of light and couldn't see anything obvious wrong apart from this unidentified plug (Orange arrow) connected in someway to the stereo harness (green arrow)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Check if there any other systems effected, because it could be a fuse, 9 times out of 10 it could be a fuse on the back of the radio unit itself that might of popped. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #900313 28th Apr 2021 6:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>