↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Sankey Trailer conversion to overland trailer.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 11 <123 ... 91011
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Hello and welcome back with a great update and hopefully some more frequent updates to come Wink

Yes i can sympathise with you there with losing your hearing from time to time Laughing 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #893293 22nd Mar 2021 9:08pm
xpertoftheseas

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
More progress
At risk of sounding optimistic, things are moving! The fabricator has been busy.

So, my previous designs for the draw bar were great (of course), but the fabricator for some reason had my wallet in mind when he suggested a different approach to reduce the amount of hours needed to modify. Usually when they have a wallet in mind, as we all know it is never a good thing, but in this case maybe the Easter bunny had whispered in his ear and he decided to go easy on me. So, the design was changed to make the cuts easier and to "prettify" the whole draw bar assembly.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now I am pretty chuffed at the way this turned out, and I will give credit where credit is due as the fabricator went above and beyond for the design of the strengthening plates needed. This is all unpainted right now, but I will hopefully get round to this this weekend sometime. It now sits behind the (ahem!) Land Cruiser perfectly level (forgot to take a photo of this so will post another time).

In addition to the draw bar, the fabricator (being an hydraulics guy also!) finally sorted out the reverse lockout solenoid for the brakes. Untested as yet as I need to to some wiring, but this is like Christmas after all the crap I went through trying to get this done on the cheap by myself.

Click image to enlarge

Side boxes are coming along nicely, just need to paint the aluminium angle brackets for the mounting and they will be ready for fitment. Now that the trailer is back with me, I can finish the old box removal and clean up the sides ready for fitment and the cut outs. After this is the inside of the trailer.

Heading to Devon in July with this so all needs to be done. Very happy things are moving again.... My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #895665 2nd Apr 2021 11:39pm
L110CDL

England 
Nice bit of work there on the draw bar, might see you about when your in Devon Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #896314 6th Apr 2021 8:01pm
chadler

United Kingdom 
Do you have the CAD drawings of the machining work that needs to be done to the Granada brake discs please?
Post #1014854 12th Nov 2023 10:04am
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
This may be of interest to anyone contemplating an overland camping trailer build:

Having recently acquired a Conqueror Companion my Sankey Comms Trailer is surplus to requirements:

Click image to enlarge

It's kitted out as a kitchen for overland camping with Dometic/Electrolux RC1600 fridge (mains/gas/12V powered), 2 burner hob & grill, sink with water pumped from an onboard jerrycan which is externally mounted in the correct dual holder. The non-kitchen side is for general kit storage. It has a 24V dual leisure battery electrical system driving three 6A Alfatronix 24-12V converters creating isolated 12V circuits for water pump, lights and aux 12V sockets - of which there are many inside & out. A mains input via a 16A socket allows for hookup and this can power the fridge and also charges the batteries via the onboard charger. There is a cubby inside for two 4.5kg or 7kg gas cylinders to allow continuous operation on long trips. It also has an integral hazard flasher system with a removable amber LED unit to warn approaching traffic of a low-visibility potentially slow convoy ahead. Very useful on motorways etc when driving at 50mph.

It has the original NATO ring hitch and 12 pin plug. As can be seen it also has a rear mounted spare wheel of the correct type. The handbrake lever has been reversibly modified to allow a breakaway cable to function correctly.

The photo shows how nicely these trailers link to Oztent RV series tents.
Post #1015101 14th Nov 2023 5:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 11 <123 ... 91011