↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Sankey Trailer conversion to overland trailer.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 11 <123 ... 91011>
Print this entire topic · 
PumaPhil

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
I built (and have now sold) this

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Fold down door had kitchen essentials, one front door had a fridge on a slide, the other a battery and all the associated wiring. The rear door was storage, and a water tank with pump sat over the axle.

As I said, sold now because everytime we used it, it seemed to rain! So the plan is to build another in a similar style to a teardrop so we can sleep in a hard shell, extending the chassis first. As has been mentioned above, lack of auto-reverse is a real pain.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #504355 13th Feb 2016 8:16pm
xpertoftheseas

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Looks like I am copying you in a lot of ways. Where was the photo with the mountains behind the 90?

Can anyone suggest where to get GRP panels/sheet from? Trawling the web and not turning up much. I need 14mm panels - does not have to be GRP, but must have tensional strength and good durability.

I read somewhere that there were recycled plastic panels - but I am not having much luck find anything.

Any ideas anyone? My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #504799 15th Feb 2016 12:43am
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
Again, try Wessex Vehicle Services, 8 miles out of Salisbury, you'll need to pop in or phone, they build some great kit...!
Cheers. Alex 98 300 tdi 90 project
94 Range Rover vogue 4.2 lse
79 911 sc
08 130 double cab utility
Post #504803 15th Feb 2016 1:56am
PumaPhil

Wales 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Aintree Green
That photo was taken on a very wet and windy day in Snowdon. The colour change was to match different Land Rovers. The trailer has to colour coordinate with the tow vehicle...
Post #504922 15th Feb 2016 6:18pm
xpertoftheseas

I hear you .. I am doing the same thing, and just obtained a set of SVX alloys to boot it up.

I was not sure, but was convinced it was Snowdonia somewhere (I am from that area). Lovely pic, lovely 90... My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #505054 15th Feb 2016 11:24pm
stew 46

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
This is mine , I've been building it for 18 months is Whistle Thumbs Up

I built the frame to fit on my spare small plant trailer

Click image to enlarge

Then went from there on

Click image to enlarge

It's designed so it can be lifted of the plant trailer

Click image to enlarge

All wired for 240v hook up now

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

One of our disco 3 camps at Chepstow Thumbs Up

And my disco is a working disco Bow down Thumbs Up
And yes I do spend my life on the Disco 3/4 forum Bow down

BUT MISS MY 110 Big Cry
Post #505063 16th Feb 2016 12:02am
RLD

United Kingdom 
and this is mine
Click image to enlarge
 RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #505131 16th Feb 2016 12:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stew 46

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
And I've enjoyed many ciders under your fox wing Ray Bow down Bow down
Post #505353 16th Feb 2016 11:54pm
RoyW

Netherlands 
Hi guys,

I live in the Netherlands. In 1954 this trailer was build for the Dutch army.

Click image to enlarge

I've converted it to this tent trailer.

Click image to enlarge

Our 3 kids are sleeping in the rooftent and my wife and I sleep inside the trailer.
In hot wether or when it rains a lot we can add a home build awning.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #506522 20th Feb 2016 10:31pm
xpertoftheseas

Amazing...
The trailers posted in this thread are amazing. Originally I was just going to fork out and buy an offorad expedition trailer. The Aussies do some amazing works, but they are in Oz so that was not an option. The UK companies manufacturing and building trailers which sort of nearly tick all my boxes are INSANE prices (£8500 - £14000) so that quickly put pay to using any of these. I do feel better now about seeing other members finished projects, as I was beginning to think I had bitten off more than I could chew here.

Regardless... admittedly with a slight delay beyond my control, the trailer modifications have now started. I am expecting these to be completed by end of next week....

Click image to enlarge

With the final fabrication works to look like this....

Click image to enlarge

Gas tank and water tank will be mounted by the fabricator, leaving me only to worry about the structure of the body. I selected phenolic ply for the body, purely because the cost of GRP ply was also insane. I am using a local joiner to dice and slice the ply boards leaving me to only assemble.

All the joins will be made with 50mmx50mm aluminium angle with teflon strips against the chassis.

Click image to enlarge

The phenolic ply will be painted the same as the 110 (yes I know), and riveted or bolted through the aluminium profiles.

I am hoping to have all this completed by end of May, or latest 2nd week in June, so I can get in a couple of trips before the big Scotland trip later in the year to iron out the issues.

Next plan - plumbing and wiring. My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #517003 23rd Mar 2016 12:25pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great looking projects! Thumbs Up

xpertoftheseas - slightly concerned your crane hook might be a little undersized?!?!?! Rolling with laughter
Post #517018 23rd Mar 2016 1:15pm
dave18

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
Looks like it will be a nice little runner.

Ref the over run brakes, Have you looked at Line Locks, These are used in racing to lock the front wheels to allow the rears to spin to heat them up on drag cars, To operate you push the brakes on press the button and release brake pedal. Now im not 100% but cant see a reason why you cant use them the opposite way so when you select reverse it locks the breaks in the open position fully remote if wired to rev lights or selectable if wired to a switch like normal
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allstar-ALL48016-P...B00TQ3R8BG

Ref the chassis mods how will the affect the trailers legality as in meeting new regs?? Im not sure if you can chop a chassis about with or with out having to meet modern regs and certs. Maybe you can im not 100% sure but worth checking .
http://www.armitagetrailers.com/trailerlaw.htm

Another thing to think of is recovery, If you break down and get recovered the company recovering will normally tow the trailer behind their vehicle. Having a NATO hitch means they can not do. Now I know loads who run NATO hitches and I would too if I had more than a 3x4 trailer lol But again something to think about and ask for advice.

Finally notice you have no support struts. are these just missing from CAD or not throught about?? Many different options and ways out there from custom design to bog standard axle stands,
Post #517027 23rd Mar 2016 1:33pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Quote:
Ref the over run brakes, Have you looked at Line Locks, These are used in racing to lock the front wheels to allow the rears to spin to heat them up on drag cars, To operate you push the brakes on press the button and release brake pedal. Now im not 100% but cant see a reason why you cant use them the opposite way so when you select reverse it locks the breaks in the open position fully remote if wired to rev lights or selectable if wired to a switch like normal
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allstar-ALL48016-P...B00TQ3R8BG

That should work although perhaps a little expensive, Trailer reversing solenoids are available from the US that are specifically designed for the job and come in a lot cheaper...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boat-Trailer-Dis...0794273984

You then just need the appropriate adaptors/fittings to hook it into the brake lines. Still have to fit mine but I have all the adaptors and connectors so it will connect between the master cylinder and the splitter block that splits the pipes between the two hubs.

Waiting on the canvas cover for the frame on mine at the moment, was suppose to be fitted today but it's been postponed due to production problems... We did get the tent opened up for the first time though on the driveway and got a chance to check everything fits and works as expected...

Click image to enlarge

It gives a LOT bigger living area than the roof tent even without being able to put the porches up on the tarmac drive. It also seemed quicker to put up the core tent than the equivalent on the roof tent although we didn't time it. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #517043 23rd Mar 2016 2:42pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
stew 46 wrote:
This is mine , I've been building it for 18 months is Whistle Thumbs Up

I built the frame to fit on my spare small plant trailer

Click image to enlarge

Brilliant idea. I would struggle to justify another trailer but adding a body to my existing trailer could be just the ticket!

Excellent thread, BTW - really picking up some great ideas - thanks everyone!
Post #517045 23rd Mar 2016 2:59pm
xpertoftheseas

This is great - you guys just solved by brake solenoid issue (thanks davew!)! I was wondering which one to buy but now I just ordered the ebay one from the US.

I have looked into the legality of the trailer quite extensively - and for sure it is a grey area. The main thing is not to arouse any suspicion that would enable any authorities to have due cause to look into the trailer in depth. These are military trailers, with a manufacturers plate showing a manufacturing date of late 80's. There is no CE markings or the like, and of course we don't have to register the trailers here in the UK. I have yet to read about anybody being stopped and questioned about a modified trailer, and I am going the route of not giving anybody due cause. The trailer will be lit as per the rules, including running lights and reflectors and even a high level brake light.

At the end of the day, I take full responsibility for my design and the quality of the works, and it is also my responsibility to ensure it is legal as it can be. But, the laws are grey and open to interpretation as always. So in this case, and in every case, full disclosure to the insurance company is a must, and as long as the trailer does not appear to be illegal, and one has taken as much care as possible to ensuring it is legal, then I personally do not think there will be any issues (cue the nay-sayers and paranoid androids.... and GO!)

Some more information here...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/vehicletype/trailers.asp

The recovery thing is an issue... and you are absolutely correct in the fact that all recovery companies will only tow ball hitch type trailers. Here we need to rely on a: Not breaking down (I am in a Land Rover so chances are high that one day I will break down) and b: WHEN you do break down, you will need to have the trailer recovered privately or by a fellow local LR owner with a NATO hitch (Just FYI I would be happy to assist any LR owner with issues (hedging my bets for when I break down:))

The support struts are missing from the CAD drawings as I just have not had time to draw them, same goes for the axle and brake assemblies - will get round to it one day. However the original Sankey rear legs will remain in place.

This is roughly the desired outcome (bar the lid on the front box) - however I am toying with extending the side boxes to the rear.

Click image to enlarge

Thanks again for all the advice and ideas - it is very motivating and is enormously helpful.

S My 10th Land Rover, but my first Defender.
Post #517169 23rd Mar 2016 10:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 11 <123 ... 91011>