↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > SIM Card insertion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
21Rover

Australia 
My MY21 delivered mid Feb does not have a SIM card slot. However the car came unexpectedly with the online data package and built in sim. My dealer was not aware that the my21 were coming with the data package, I discovered it by looking in the “subscriptions” section of the LR Remote app where it stated 12 month subscription. Just had to activate it via Pivi Pro. ■ MY21 110 D300 SE ■ MY17 Jaguar F-Pace ■
Post #891318 14th Mar 2021 1:13pm
dontwakemeup

Australia 
Yeah it comes with the data package, but this does not let you use it as a wifi hotspot. Just stream spotify, deezer and use traffic. Not anything else.

From the package details.

"Stay truly connected. You’ll enjoy access to everything you need, seamlessly integrated within Pivi Pro – including unlimited data for online media music streaming, weather updates and calendar information. It’s all designed to keep you informed and entertained. At all times."

And I'm sure it will be a rip-off when it comes time to renew... This is some ACCC level complaint material. Mercedes literally had to buy back cars due to similar issues. I want to be able to use the vehicle as a hotspot with my own sim card.
Post #891319 14th Mar 2021 1:15pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Online data package for X years is standard, for the car’s infotainment connectivity (navigation, Spotify/fuel/weather etc.).

The WiFi hotspot for connecting your own devices is an optional extra. And one that I struggle to see the point of really.
Post #891322 14th Mar 2021 1:19pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
If you desperately want a hotspot just get one of those mobile WiFi devices, dirt cheap with data plans these days. Can use it anywhere then.
Post #891323 14th Mar 2021 1:20pm
dontwakemeup

Australia 
Here's the problem. In Australia there is a sim card slot so you can BYO data for the hotspot functionality. The onboard modem has a 5W transmitter which is very useful in australia especially regionally.

Land Rover have told me there is no wifi hotspot feature for sale. So it is a feature that was advertised and ultimately not delivered.

It might be easy in Scotland where you are 500 miles coast to coast. Not so much here.

Now I will have to fit a 4G/3G repeater module from Telstra in order to have decent service.
Post #891324 14th Mar 2021 1:21pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Coverage here is incredibly poor actually, which is the point I was making - the car’s hotspot would only be as good as it’s ability to connect to a network. Generally speaking I will go in and out of network coverage all the time on most journeys so I can’t see what benefit the hotspot would bring.

Did you have the option to specify the WiFi hotspot option when you ordered the car?
Post #891328 14th Mar 2021 1:32pm
dontwakemeup

Australia 
The coverage is proportional to your antenna and transceiver. Especially in hills and gullies.

Where I may not get any coverage on my phone, the internal modem on the car gets at least a bar or two. This is due to the higher wattage transceiver (5W) by using the inbuilt modem.

Essentially means I can use VOIP or messenger or what's app.
Post #891332 14th Mar 2021 1:37pm
Esengul

Australia 
Esim
The my 21 in Australia has replaced the nano sim with the esim as the same as market 1 uk us etc
Post #892029 17th Mar 2021 8:34am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Retroanaconda wrote:
Online data package for X years is standard, for the car’s infotainment connectivity (navigation, Spotify/fuel/weather etc.).

The WiFi hotspot for connecting your own devices is an optional extra. And one that I struggle to see the point of really.

I’ve used the disco hotspot a few times.

I don’t routinely use it, but it’s ‘any network’ sim and car antenna tends to get 4g more consistently, connect the phone to the hotspot means you can make internet calls/msg etc

If you have tablets in the car then I’ve found it easier to connect to the car than run my phone Mike
Post #892496 19th Mar 2021 1:28am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Keep your eye on Powerful UK's Youtube channel, at some time in the future he's delving further into this:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #894452 28th Mar 2021 10:52am
dontwakemeup

Australia 
I’ve tried replacing this part. It cost a lot and did nothing. I suspect the vehicles are programmed differently obviously via CCF so need to explore that.
Post #894597 28th Mar 2021 11:51pm
Mark1107

United States 
Www.jlr-retrofits.co.uk can get the hotspot working if you buy the SIM card usb slot. 2022 Defender Trek Competition 110 collectors edition!
2020 Defender 110 P400 Full Explorer Pack 7 Seater HSE Fuji White(sold)
2020 SVO Range Rover L405 Full Size Spectral Blue Chromaflair
2014 Range Rover L405 Autobiography Full Size Aintree Green
2014 Dodge Viper GTS Stryker Green
Post #895025 31st Mar 2021 5:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12