↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Back Puma 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Black Puma

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Sumatra Black
Back Puma 90
Firstly a huge thanks to everyone that contributes to the forum with such a huge wealth of great info. And to the host and mods.

So after lurking since 2011, and joining a while after that and still lurking mostly. I though it was time to contribute in a small way.

It's coming up to 10 happy years of ownership from new. My main aim is to take care of a long list of small neglected items. Then make some vanity modifications.

Click image to enlarge
Post #884052 8th Feb 2021 10:09pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Beautifully presented...SVX are still my favourite wheels. Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #884054 8th Feb 2021 10:17pm
L110CDL

England 
Yep great intro pic Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #884056 8th Feb 2021 10:20pm
Black Puma

Thanks Fat Cog and Clayton. I'll try to post pics as much as possible. I love seeing pics on the forum.

I don't think LR made a bad looking wheel for the Defender. I may be wrong though. Standard steel, Wolf, Boost and Sawtooth, all look right on the car. The SVX rim is great, in person when clean, pretty nice.

I have never worked on the vehicle myself. And up until the 'pandy', it was rarely washed, if at all. Over the last month, I have replaced a rear indicator, the front floor mats, front rubber that covers the gearbox tunnel. Plus new gear lever, which I have to say is a great way to make your car feel new.

Surprisingly most made in UK, front mats made in Sweden. If parts are made in UK, makes it ok to spend more on genuine - to a degree. I also have a drivers seat foam ready to go in, for the bolster issue. First one was replaced under warranty a year into ownership, next one kept it's shape for about 6 years.

Click image to enlarge
Post #884062 8th Feb 2021 11:28pm
Black Puma

Advice needed on replacing windshield. Popped the question on another part of the forum:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post884065.html#884065
Post #884064 9th Feb 2021 12:56am
Black Puma

The slippery slope....

Had the pleasure of dealing with Bowler. Considering everything going on in the UK with 'Rona', it all worked out and parts arrived quickly. Thanks Bowler.

My original steering wheel is a bit twisty in the hand, from the sunlight and heat here. It is possible to play motorcycle throttle when driving - I don't make the noises though...

Anyway just thought I would grab the one from Bowler into my shipment, as it's about the same price as a genuine LR replacement. Hmmmm not sure what I think, I'm pretty sure I'm not driving a race car. So might be replaced by a Prototipo, or Moto Lita.

We will see. I would say that it's the most utilitarian of the wheels out there, apart from the yellow logo. Compared to my other options, it's not very fancy or retro at all, it's just plain minimal. I might just cover the logo and see how it looks.

Click image to enlarge
Post #884649 11th Feb 2021 8:26am
L110CDL

England 
Once you start on the slippery slope, it's hard to stop Laughing

Nice steering wheel, bit like mine, plain but i have no leather Very Happy i agree that you should go the way of covering the yellow to see how you get on Smile 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #884816 11th Feb 2021 8:25pm
Black Puma

Windscreen diaries.

4 years ago, had a couple of nasty chips in the front screen. Amazingly they held and didn't deteriorate too much. Time to replace, and I literally could not find a single person who would entertain using genuine LR glass. In fact the whole process became a huge chore. From finding recommendations, to getting quotes, so many emails calls and texts ignored. I'm going to put it down to the stress of 'Rona'

Luckily the forum answered. And some solid advice given. I had a plan. At the final moment, having a place to fit a new screen and everything all good. With one stipulation "Can you source and fit Pilkington glass?". When i arrived for fitting, I was told Pilkington not available, but they had the best quality glass anyway. It was then I should have got back in the car and driven away.

Anyway, stayed and had the work done. Driving away, impresses with the speed and service, happy with the cost. It was a perfectly sunny day with a blue sky. I was very pleased to not to see those familiar chips in the middle of my view.

Until I pulled into a place without blue sky, I noticed... an 80's tint across the top of the glass! What the?!? I mean, should I have Tracy and Trevor in bold white typography across this band for full effect.

Anyway, phone calls made, another trip back days later, all replaced with a new one. Owner of the windscreen shop said it was standard to have blue band, and fully clear screen is a special order! Crazy ordeal. My take away is, when the forum answers with a solution... STICK TO THE PLAN!!! Banging Head

Click image to enlarge
Post #886233 18th Feb 2021 5:59am
Black Puma

(Cue Star Wars)
THE TARMAC STRIKES BACK
The story so far.....

In an unfortunate lack of romance, I do remember Land Rovers back in my formative days in the UK. Always cool, but never top of mind. But after many fast'ish cars in AU, it was obvious... as much fun as they were, paddle shift, luxury and all that other junk, they would not cut it on dirt roads and all that fun stuff that kept cropping up. Frequently during work and play. And the utilitarian pull was strong.

So the desire for a minimal non-car like 'box' was born. And the opportunity arose. I dropped the handbrake off at the airport one blue skied Saturday morning, for trip to see her family. Straight to the LR dealer with the other family directors (young kids). All approved. Purchasing a 90 would work, and the lovely better half approved.

Ironically once my 90 was delivered, all the off road chores and fun dropped off a cliff... way off the radar. But as it stands. A handvfull of times a year there are dirt road adventures, and at least once or twice a year there is, "ok we can go in your car" which eventuates in an up to the bonnet, river crossing or two.

So yes, the Grenadier may be the bigger next option for the longer family adventures. But I can't bear to see my little Black Puma 90 go, it's such a keeper. Because as much as you hear complaints about defenders being a horror car to live with, it's the most un-needy car I have owned. It doesn't mind a few punches and scratches. And above all, I'm happy to city drive it for days, and it always has the answer ridiculous bush adventures, which willingly appear when I least expect them.

Pics: last work chore / adventure of 2020

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #886721 20th Feb 2021 12:42pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Very cool introductory picture. I like them in black. Whistle 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #887562 24th Feb 2021 8:02pm
Black Puma

Thanks Dinnu. Black looks good. But have to admit, I find Defenders looks great in every colour, I'd like one of each Rolling with laughter

Onto wheels now. For discussion.

As much as I love the duel finish SVX wheels, including the apparent trend for diamond cut dual finish wheels appearing everywhere on new cars coming out. I kind of what to try another option, under a faint guise of performance improvement. Either lighter in weight, or safer road handling.

After all better to keep one wife, one car and just dabble in a few accessories. OK, now I'm really talking rubbish.

The reason for my story earlier. Most of my Defender use became urban, with a small amount of freeway/motorway, and off road a few times a year.

Best logic would be for me to get 18" with AT 265/65R18. Good handling, wider surface for emergency braking in the wet. And, I can throw my SVX wheels on if I think I may go off road. The only downside for me is that my off road adventures are never planned, and just happen. Literally, out of nowhere, I'll have to cross a river and descend ascend muddy banks.

Click image to enlarge

There is something about a 90 with 16" wheels though. And a ridiculous part of me enjoys the utilitarian truck look of the 16". I can also up from my MT 235/85R16, to a AT 265/75R16. Only downside, is that I have not seen a Defender 90 on 18" wheels in the flesh, it may look great. Plus the handling of the 18" wheels may be better. (I'm not looking for a race car here, just added road confidence).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

If anyone has any comments, advice, feel free.

Last edited by Black Puma on 18th Mar 2021 5:06am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #887625 25th Feb 2021 2:24am
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
Quite a few recent threads on 18's in the wheel and tyre section, may be worth reading a few of those Thumbs Up

https://www.defender2.net/forum/wheels-tyres-vf48.html

If your off roading is generally flat tracks/ruts and mud etc. (even on an incline) then you'll be fine. If you do a lot of rocky terrain you may find you miss the extra flex in the tyres. Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #887655 25th Feb 2021 7:53am
FD7

2006 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Auto Chawton White
What a tremendous difference the wheels make to the overall style approach.

Although, with that background and that nice of a 90, it's hard to make a wrong move.

GOOD JOB Thumbs Up
Post #887925 26th Feb 2021 10:23am
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
Crikey that is some impressive photoshop and a great looking 90!

Personally I'd stick with 16s, there is a lot to be said for having tall sidewalls when you accidentally catch a kerb/rock and they just look better IMO. Cool 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #888001 26th Feb 2021 6:49pm
Black Puma

Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate it, almost all, or 98% Defenders I see locally are stock, as from factory. So I have no reference what things look like. Don't want to make my car look worse, or badly effect how it works.
Post #888056 27th Feb 2021 6:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>