Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2.4 - No Power!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
robrennie

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Atlantis Blue
2.4 - No Power!
Hi All,

Problem I am having is no power after the engine warms up.

I took it to a garage who read fault codes, he said that the turbo actuator and the MAP sensor needed changing - he was not able to do it until the new year - so I bought the bits and fitted them - no change!

When the car is cold it runs brilliantly - when warm it feels like the turbo is not cutting in, which is why the actualor swap seemed to make sense to me.

Any thoughts as to what I should try next?
Post #873836 20th Dec 2020 11:27am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thermostat as it’s temperature related.
Is the water pump working too?

A couple of ideas, it’s likely running in limp mode.
If it’s original maybe worth changing the VCV too. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #873838 20th Dec 2020 11:54am
robrennie

Thanks Steve,

So you think that rather than a fault with the Turbo or whatever, that actually it is running in limp mode?

Hadn't thought of that....

I guess I need to buy a scanner - this is the first Landy I have had that has such electronics!
Post #873842 20th Dec 2020 12:23pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
There was an early fault of the loom breaking to the turbo across the top of the engine - IIRC it affected aircon equipped models more.

Also the vanes in the turbo can stick, although this doesn't log a fault code (|normally)

Keith
Post #873850 20th Dec 2020 2:16pm
robrennie

Thanks Keith

Funny enough, I just drove it with the MAF disconnected to ensure it wasn't that - it wasn't -exactly the same symptoms.

I read on the website of the company that sent me the actuator that the vanes can stick when hot.

So I disconnected the actuator (pinging the C Clip to be lost forever) and felt the movement - I have to say it didn't feel that smooth to me, so maybe with it hot and the engine running, it would be quite a bit worse?

The chappie at the garage who scanned for the fault was candid enough to say that he thought the engine fault was as a result of a separate fault.
Post #873851 20th Dec 2020 2:20pm
ickle

Mine did the no power thing a few years ago - initially after a long constant speed / revs motorway run, then progressively more often.

I did all the usual VCV, loom etc but no avail.

when it happened if I switched it off and re started it would always clear, got to the point when we were on our way down here, I could dip the clutch, switch off, restart and carry on without actually stopping the car, lots of fun with the big Ifor box on the back!

Fitted a brand new turbo complete, good as new. An aerosol of turbo cleaner might be worth a try.

HTH Keith
Post #873853 20th Dec 2020 2:33pm
robrennie

Thanks Keith

You know when your car overheats your always hope it is the Thermostat - it never is...

And when the Turbo is not working you always hope it is something causing it - but it is always the turbo Smile

I hadn't thought of some cleaner - as our American cousins say, Its like chicken soup, it can do no harm but it might do some good - I'll have a go at that and report back

Cheers
Post #873855 20th Dec 2020 2:37pm
robrennie

Rolling update, in case anyone references this in the future.

Tried Wynns in fuel Turbo Cleaner - put a double dose in and went for a slow, but very long drive - got through about 50% of a tank - no change at all.

Tired Wynns aerosol cleaner - full can - no change at all.

Took it to local independent Landy Engineer who was pretty sure that it is vanes that stilck when they get hot. He thinks that it should be cleanable rather than a replacement - but cannot have a look until the New Year.

I will update this thread with next news!
Post #874026 21st Dec 2020 6:53pm
ickle

From memory a brand new oe Garret? turbo c/w gaskets from Germany was £600 ish and took a couple of hours to fit, wasn't worth the messing about as I needed it to be 100% reliable running back and forth uk to France.
Post #874046 21st Dec 2020 8:00pm
robrennie

I hear you.... I will think on it, this is a second car to me, but even so, a bit of reliability does no harm...
Post #874054 21st Dec 2020 8:19pm
robrennie

Hi All,

i thought I would post the final part of this thread.

The fault was a misplaced / not fitting correctly ECU connector- when taken off and replaced the fault went away.

By then, I had replaced the air flow meter - it had a fault, but was not causing this problem, or not thought to
Inlet manifold gaskets - there was a leak, so worth doing - but didn't solve it
Injector seals - one was faulty, but had them all replaced
EGR Valve.

So a bit of a pain, but apart from the EGR all the other bits had faults so were worth doing.

So if you have this problem, it feels the same as a sticky vane problem - take off the connector and put it back on. One thing that was different with this fault than with the sticky vane problem was that sometimes switching off the car and running it up again cleared it for a couple of minutes - apparently that does not happen with the vane problem.

Hope posting the conclusion helps someone.
Post #880146 22nd Jan 2021 3:31pm
astroarcadia

Thanks for the update, where is this ECU connector located?
Post #880181 22nd Jan 2021 6:23pm
Jock_Scotland

Scotland 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Just read your post and it sounds very much like what I have with my 2010 110 Double Cab.

Currently its sat with no ECU fitted as the garage suggest that the ECU is not operating the Turbo Actuator - there is no voltage at the unit and nothing coming out of the ECU.

Can you tell me more about how you sorted it? Did reseating the connector solve this for good (done that) or was there another fix?

Currently I'm stuck with having to but a brand new ECU.....don't even know where to start with that.

The Defender starts and runs, it just has zero boost.
Post #999090 7th Jul 2023 4:09pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It is extremely common for the engine harness to chafe at multiple points where it is secured to or rubs against the engine on the TDCi Defender, the harness is poorly designed and very shoddily attached. If any of the sensing wires for the actuator stepper motor either become severed or short to ground, you will get error with the boost. This may be intermittent depending upon the nature of the damage.

If you do have a turbo actuator problems, I strongly recommend that before you start spending mega-sums on random component replacement in the hope that by pure chance you replace something faulty, you visually check the engine harness for its entire length (cut the cable ties holding to the engine to check for damage where tied). You may be lucky, like I was, and find that the main lead between the alternator and starter is showing bare copper just before the vehicle turns into a fireball as well.

My turbo actuator has packed up twice. Once I had zero boost as a result (and the vehicle would not have pulled the proverbial skin off a rice pudding), the other time was much more spectacular since the actuator parked itself in the full boost position. Full boost all the time creates spectacular induction noise, especially if you have a large bore Nak snorkel and Nuggetstuff airbox, the vehicle sounds like a Vulcan bomber on full afterburn! Children would scream, pensioners would fall over, dogs would flee at the thunderous sound of my Defender accelerating gently away from a junction! Rolling with laughter

On both occasions this was due to harness damage, the first time where the harness is secured to the engine near the vac pump, the second time (the noisy one) where the ferrite ring is fitted to the actuator harness near the actuator. Both times an easy and cheap repair.
Post #999093 7th Jul 2023 4:55pm
Jock_Scotland

Scotland 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
So, I had heard of this and I had a quick look at the loom without taking it apart and the outside looked okay.

You’re telling me that I need to cut it off, strip it back and check it end to end? I’ll try that but I thought the garage had stuck on breakout box on the ECU and checked voltages / wiring.

Oddly, I’d also had an incident recently where I thought the turbo was making a hell of an induction noise too, but it was intermittent. Sounds like it may maybe stuck wide open too.

If I find chafed wiring, what’s the best repair option other than insulting tape?
Post #999118 7th Jul 2023 8:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>