↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Death throws of an alternator
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Right, so, plot thickens.

Correct alternator finally arrived which was duly fitted.

Having now been sat for about 4 weeks I was not surprised to find the battery flat as a pancake.

Jump started off the pickup and went about checking for anything untoward.

With everything off, the dash volt meter was showing it was charging and the Radio volt meter was showing 14.0V so off to a good start so just left it a while to sort itself out.

I turned on the headlights and it dropped like a stone to about 11v, and if I flashed the main beam it would cut out the radio so can only assume it was going below a critical voltage to keep it on.

I went out for a test drive and found that if I ran just sidelights it was running around 13.5v, but if I touch the brake or indicators it would drop down below 12v again.

After a blast up and down the local A-road I returned home and with the heater on, lights on it was showing it is discharging the battery rather than charging on the dash and the volts was below 12v.

So what is going on?

I would have thought that the alternator would know it has a low battery and be working its maximum to supply volts to the battery to charge it up so would show a 14V charge regardless of what was running?

Especially as with the heater on, sidelights, main beam, radio one would think was more than enough for a 45A alternator to run on its own and have spare to charge the battery- especially as that's all is has had since new and never been an issue.

I'm clearly out of my depth here so please do provide any input as to what I have missed or could be causing it?

Battery is brand new fitted before xmas as first port of call again due to sudden low charging volts unable to keep up with demand. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #878930 16th Jan 2021 6:22pm
Marks Landy

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Java Black
Have a look at the Engine loom / Chassis disconnect multi plug behind the engine.

Fingers crossed a quick spray of electrical contact cleaner will sort it out.
Post #878971 16th Jan 2021 8:35pm
shaggydog

Wasn't aware of that one will locate it and give it a go tomorrow Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #878979 16th Jan 2021 9:13pm
shaggydog

Gave the plug a pull apart (man it did not want to come apart) looked fine so put back together.

Took it for a test drive to get some diesel and was showing a strong charge with everything off and then the battery discharging while lights/ heater was on, though not as much as yesterday.

Took it to halfords who did a battery/alternator test on it which showed that the battery was fine and in good condition and the alternator was still supplying a good 14V recharge at the battery even with everything on, so the dash volt meter may just be a bit sensitive?

Ether way, it seems to be improving so I'm going to put a trickle charger on it and give the battery a good full charge to see if that improves things.

But for now I think I'm satisfied.

I think, still not 100% sure its fixed but we shall see. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Post #879203 17th Jan 2021 9:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12