↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > My Thermotop C install in a RHD 2.2 puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Most welcome Thumbs Up

Keep a look out for "refurbished" units which are just someone else getting a scrap yard part, media blasting the outside to make it look new, replacing the seals and marking it up by £300 from what I can tell.

It's super easy to do yourself.

Keep us posted with how you get on!
Post #875739 1st Jan 2021 7:56pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i have an airtop 2000 in my 110 (under the rear seats) and a larger 4kw i think marine boat unit in my 130. both just for heating the cab by being blown air.

Both are noisy outside the vehicle on start up with some internal noise, but once up and running i dont believe its something you will notice and the heat output is superb.

using the coolant heater to heat the interior i think is more of a 2nd use for it, as it has to heat the block first and you are reliant on how good the cars cabin heat exchanger is. workable but no where near as good as an air heater. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #875766 1st Jan 2021 9:14pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Well.

This post is sponsored by....

Badger!

Thanks Badger!

Fuel pickup and fuel pump finally fitted.

I've already got auxiliary looms fitted so it just runs along the length of those.

What I did find interesting is the 2mm ID fuel pipe with convolute added will fit in the centre of the existing twin fuel pipe clips. So that was a nice tidy routing to follow.

All I've got to do now is the wiring. No small feat given my previous post but at least I can sit on the drivers seat whilst I do it!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #878630 15th Jan 2021 3:45pm
Edpike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Tonga Green
jst wrote:
i have an airtop 2000 in my 110 (under the rear seats) and a larger 4kw i think marine boat unit in my 130. both just for heating the cab by being blown air.

Both are noisy outside the vehicle on start up with some internal noise, but once up and running i dont believe its something you will notice and the heat output is superb.

using the coolant heater to heat the interior i think is more of a 2nd use for it, as it has to heat the block first and you are reliant on how good the cars cabin heat exchanger is. workable but no where near as good as an air heater.

I think this is probably the way to go as living were I do does not really call for additional block heating. I have seen Mud UK have an under cubby heater box to put the heater in @ £90 which I think is a good idea. Thanks for the advice and feedback.
Post #878703 15th Jan 2021 8:51pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Nice to see it in it's new home Thumbs Up
Post #878717 15th Jan 2021 9:30pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Wow.

Slowest install in the world.

Finally plumbed it in. Filled the heater before connecting and clamped the hoses so didn't lose any coolant. No air in the system.

All protected and tie wrapped.

Next to add a few more jubilees to the fuel line and actually try it!

Click image to enlarge
Post #894233 26th Mar 2021 10:21pm
jst

Good result getting it in. Have just ordered an evo5 for the 130 and going through the debate of where to locate it! Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop

Last edited by jst on 27th Mar 2021 2:33pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #894268 27th Mar 2021 8:48am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Sounds really good. I don't really know much about the newer models. I'm guessing they've got different mountings and package constraints.

Is an Evo a water or air heater? Just thinking if it's even 10mm longer than a thermotop its unlikely to fit under the wing. Seriously tight. Pleased with where I've ended up with mine but it's not been without a lot of scraped hands and hassle tbh, that said much easier with the wing outer off. I left mine on because of the cage.
Post #894276 27th Mar 2021 9:54am
jst

I think the evo is smaller and water pump is separate to ease packaging. Will wait for it to arrive and go from there.

Order it from Russia for £544 with 7 day timer. DHL are courier. £72 import tax.
Ordered it Monday due this coming tue. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #894309 27th Mar 2021 2:36pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
It works!!! Thumbs Up Very Happy

Really pleased. A few teething troubles but now settled down nicely and starts up and shuts down as expected.

In use, seems to produce limited heat almost straight away out of the vents, followed by an engine that's up to temperature and then stays there 15 minutes later even if it's only pottering around on almost no load.

Definitely notice if I then switch it off half way through a drive.

Overall. Really pleased. Great mod.

A big thanks for the help from all to get this far and to Badger for his donation of the pick-up. Thumbs Up
Post #896093 5th Apr 2021 9:47pm
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Hi Matt,

I'm planning on starting this install in the next week or so, think I've got everything I need, just waiting for the bracket to arrive from Mobile Solutions. You used that bracket right? Did you manage to get it in without removing the whole wing?
Post #940026 29th Jan 2022 2:25pm
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Oh and also, any chance you could show me how you installed the relay for the fan? I've seen the wiring diagrams, just not sure where is best to chop into the factory wiring.

Thanks! Thumbs Up
Post #940027 29th Jan 2022 2:28pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Hi Ben.

To answer your queries - yes, I used the bracket to great effect, it works really well. A couple of thoughts...

If your water circ pump is brand new you may be OK, but if not, they tend to make noise, and that radiates through the bulkhead into the passenger compartment. I would strongly suggest adding a sheet of closed cell rubber or something between the bracket and the bulkhead to try and remove some of the NVH issues. That said - it may be i just need a new circ pump. Time will tell!!

Ref removing the wing... I have an external cage. Removing the wing would have meant removing the cage, which I simply couldn't be bothered to do. With hindsight - I should have been bothered to do it, and if you don't have a cage, DEFININTELY remove the outer wing. It will make it VASTLY easier to do the job.

In the end I cut a line into the wheel arch liner to allow it to be moved out of the way. But it hurts my OCD that I didn't remove it all and do it with the outer wing off. Getting to the fixings however is another challenge - so let me know how you get on with that as that was another barrier to getting it off!!

On the subject of the fan relay feed - I don't actually know. my own Webasto was a 12v switched one from a Freelander which I rebuilt myself, and I just run it on a switch in the cab. "THE Webasto Thread" i believe has details of where to find the feed if you have a standard aftermarket webasto to fit.

Hope that helps Smile

Matt.

------------------
Edit - one other thing, be very careful which way round you plumb the lines in. Otherwise you very quickly boil the heater. I clearly did this and did not boil my heater. Honest. Whistle Whistle
Post #940477 1st Feb 2022 9:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123