Home > Puma (Tdci) > reduced power
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nicolas0505

France 
reduced power
Hello
For some time my defender puma lacks power I cleaned the maf sensor and the map sensor. I made a test with the maf sensor unplugged it doesn't change anything, then I reconnected the maf sensor.
hen I made a test in neutral to go up in mode to the maximum given whatever throttle of the accelerator, I have slightly black smoke coming out but it is barely visible.

by doing the test of maximum speed idle in neutral I have a kind of whistling sound when I decelerate

thank you for answer

I live in France so I use google translate
Post #877857 11th Jan 2021 10:36pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
Have you checked or changed your intercooler hoses?
Common problem with the 2.2 and most people change them to Silicone.
These may have a small hole in and generally casue a Whooshing noise.
Post #877867 11th Jan 2021 11:51pm
nicolas0505

France 
I changed the sensor maf I bought the brand ntk (ngk). I have a slight improvement in performance. I then operated the variable geometry by hand no hard point I had to add penetrating oil.

I did the test by unplugging the egr valve and did a little test drive, it looked like it worked a little better.

Some time ago my egr valve made a weird noise when the engine was stopped, like it was spinning in a vacuum. I c is who there is the self cleaning stops for me its done 3 times chunk and clunk at the end. Wouldn't my egr valve have a defect like it remains slightly open ?
Post #878344 13th Jan 2021 9:19pm
nicolas0505

France 
I changed the turbo hoses made a road test and it didn't change anything just a little because I had taken silicone hoses
should i do a computer reset as i changed my maf sensor?
Post #879291 18th Jan 2021 11:11am
nicolas0505

France 
I always have this turbo noise when decelerating. I did a road test when I drive in 6th gear at around 90km / h, I have no power if I put my foot on the floor. I also have an elm327 and my egr setpoint remains at 0 percent despite several driving styles. when driving under regime, the setpoint remains at 0
Post #880628 24th Jan 2021 5:52pm
nicolas0505

France 
I think I found the problem that comes from the egr valve. I clean the plugged in terminal tapped on the egr valve with an iron bar. accelerates in neutral at full throttle released the accelerator,several times with the elm 327 I see the egr setpoint varied.but if I take the vehicle back the next day the valve no longer works too well. At this moment with the cold the snow which makes I could not change my valve egr oblige to have it changed by the mechanic
Post #881591 28th Jan 2021 5:24pm
MatLandy

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
The commanded EGR ratio should always be at 0% (EGR closed, no exhaust gas recirculating) when the engine is cold.
Only when the engine is warm enough, then the commanded EGR ratio will increase to say above 60% at idle, and should decrease down to 0% when revving the engine. You need fresh air when accelerating and working the engine, and no exhaust gas added to the fuel/air mix going into the combustion chamber.
While these are commended values from the ECU, the EGR valve may be doing something different due to the soot and crap contamination accumulated over the years preventing the valve mechanism to function properly. As I see you have an OBD tool to read values from the ECU, try and monitor the actual "EGR stepper position" at the same time as the "commanded EGR ratio" as this might give you some hint of the respective behaviour.

Your lack of power could well be the EGR valve not fully returning to closed position when commanded to 0%, so you always have exhaust gas leaking back into the inlet manifold and not adequate fuel/air mix to the combustion chamber. If you go ahead and change the EGR, do yourself a favor and change the MAP sensor as well as it most probably is also contaminated with soot and not sending correct values to the ECU.
Good Luck.

/Mat

edit: (afterthought) if your commanded EGR stays at 0% at idle when engine is warm (after 10 kms) then your engine has been tuned and the tuner has electronically disabled it through the remap to keep it permanently closed. Which in essence does not change your issue of the EGR possibly not closing properly...
Post #882634 2nd Feb 2021 1:34pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Re the egr. The manufacturer for the egr is pierburg, they supply to ford, who then supply to landrover. If you look at the valve FOMOCO is cast on the top, ford motor company. And on the side label you will see the pierburg part number. So from landrover it’s circa £270, however pierburg supply direct through motor factors, or amazon, or Ebay. For exactly the same part direct it will be circa £80. Same manufacturer same part, much lower cost. All they have done for the open market is grind the fomoco name off the valve, you can see where they have done it at the factory Smile

What year is your vehicle, there are two types, the latter version for the last couple of years production. I have the earlier type, part number 7.04784.34.0 on my 2.2 puma

Ps the same valve has several part numbers, so looking at the pierburg tables you can see which valves use which part numbers.
Post #882639 2nd Feb 2021 2:00pm
nicolas0505

France 
I managed to get the egr valve to work again but I can tell which is struggling to follow. I accelerate completely in neutral release the accelerator, go back to speed like 2000 revolutions per minute and elease the accelerator release and I notice that the engine is choking.

I live at an altitude of 1200 meters and I saw that its influence on the behavior of the egr valve.at the map sensor i only have oil on it. in my opinion it is the electrical management of the valve that should be better managed.

I have the 2.4 engine from 2007. I have looked at the prices its running between 100 and 200.
Post #882640 2nd Feb 2021 2:07pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Il me semble que la défaillance du moteur vienne de la vanne EGR

https://afrikauto.com/tout-savoir-sur-la-vanne-egr/

" si la vanne EGR reste en position ouverte, alors le moteur subira davantage encore l’encrassement de son admission. Au fil du temps, le véhicule va perdre de la puissance à l’accélération, jusqu’à devenir excessivement mou "
Post #882768 2nd Feb 2021 8:21pm
Phil VM2.5

Belgium 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Ianh wrote:
Re the egr. The manufacturer for the egr is pierburg, they supply to ford, who then supply to landrover. If you look at the valve FOMOCO is cast on the top, ford motor company. And on the side label you will see the pierburg part number. So from landrover it’s circa £270, however pierburg supply direct through motor factors, or amazon, or Ebay. For exactly the same part direct it will be circa £80. Same manufacturer same part, much lower cost. All they have done for the open market is grind the fomoco name off the valve, you can see where they have done it at the factory Smile

What year is your vehicle, there are two types, the latter version for the last couple of years production. I have the earlier type, part number 7.04784.34.0 on my 2.2 puma

Ps the same valve has several part numbers, so looking at the pierburg tables you can see which valves use which part numbers.

Hi,
Thanks for this good information
Philippe current : defender 110 sw 2.2 puma 2012 and 230.000km today and
again my Range Rover VM2.5 engine from 1992 and 528.000km today.

One ten 1988 to 1992
1987 BMW GS80
One Ten from 1984 to 1987
One Ten from 1983 to 1984
Serie 3 109 from 1980 to 1983
from 1974 Jeep CJ3B and CJ6
Post #883512 6th Feb 2021 7:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1