↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Air source heating. Any feedback?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Re: Very happy with our ASHP - fitted in 2013
Andy T wrote:
It's a Mitsubishi one and no issues with it at all
Once a week it does a 65degree 'anti Legionella' cycle but otherwise from memory our water's set to around 50degrees.
At installation we did have a new hot water cylinder and a couple of our radiators were upgraded to bigger ones.

I'd have gone for ground source through choice, but it was too impractical where we are

The RHI isn't as generous as for our solar panels but the incentives mean that we're still being paid to heat/light and cook with an electric aga!

Happy to chat if you want - PM me your number if so

Good luck with your decision

Cheers
Andy

Is it a Mitsubishi Electric Ecodan Andy?
Post #876258 4th Jan 2021 6:58pm
Andy T

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Fuji White
Yes that's the one 2011 2.4 White 110 CSW LHD
1998 300TDi Wolf TUM
2015 2.2 Corris Grey 90
2009 2.4 Alaska White 110 Commercial - gone
2006 TD5 Barolo Black 90 - gone
1995 TD5 Green 90 - gone
1984 2.25 Marine Blue 88
Post #876262 4th Jan 2021 7:04pm
Rashers

They are very good Andy. Market leaders, I would say. Thumbs Up

I would not recommend a non-branded heat pump.

I see from adverts on the telly over Christmas that Vailant Boilers are now doing ASHP's. A good boiler brand. Not sure if these are bought in and rebranded or they are producing their own? The units they did about 8-9 years ago were rebranded (they were very open about this) so service and parts weren't an issue.
Post #876263 4th Jan 2021 7:12pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Rashers wrote:
Air Source / Underfloor is a no brainer as you use the mass of the building (the concrete floor) as a large storage heater. If I built a house, this is what I would do (I would also go for ground source heating, but you need either a very expensive drill or a fair amount of land for that)

lohr500, if the company you are dealing with is going to sub the work out, it may be worth trying to find a local supplier to where you live for a price?

Do you know the manufacturer of the external air source heat pump?

Hi Rashers, the unit they are suggesting is manufactured by Grant https://www.grantuk.com/media/3418/hpid17r...he-v15.pdf

No idea about their Air Source pumps, but when I was researching for an oil boiler replacement I concluded that the Grant oil boilers were probably the best. Have you any experience with the Grant pumps?

I will probably look around for a local installer to get a quote, but we are out in the sticks and my concern is that I could end up with someone who doesn't really understand the systems well enough and we end up with a half baked solution.

From what I have learned from all of you on here so far, is that getting the right radiator output and heat store to manage the lower water temperature is a very important part of the design.
Our current hot water tank with the immersion back up runs at what would probably be considered as an unsafe temperature, but it means we need less hot water capacity as it gets cooled with plenty of cold water in the bath etc. So the new solution is going to need a bigger storage cylinder. The chap today was on the case straight away with this and was most insistent on measuring up the airing cupboard where the current immersion tank is located. He was also very observant in noticing the size of the Jacuzzi bath and the fact that it takes a lot of water to fill it.
In talking through the system with him, he told me that the new tank would be used as a heat source for the radiators as well as the hot water. Does that make sense?

I'm seeing this as a long term investment so I want to be sure it is done 110% right by people who really know their stuff. I guess I could ask to see some reference homes done by anyone local .
Post #876268 4th Jan 2021 7:21pm
Andrew james

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
Hi lohr500,
We have had an Air Source Heat Pump for about 7 years, and have been pleased with it on the whole.
We had ours installed when we had a loft conversion on our 1960s bungalow. We were changing a lot with the property so decided to get rid of an old oil fired boiler and replace it with something modern and cheaper to run. At the time the government were offering grants for installation and the promise of 20 years of payments calculated on output of the pump. We made use of the grant which was quite good (I think around 5k) and awaited a final decision on the yearly payments. In the end the payments were set to around 7 years at a lower rate, but it worked out to be around £1200 a year, which covers most of the electricity bill.
The payments if I remember correctly , depend on output of the pump and whether your property is thermally efficient. Proof of cavity wall insulation, good double/triple glazing and roof insulation to a standard. Previous to conversion, our home was cold, but converting the loft enabled us to insulate the property to a higher standard.
Regarding radiators. Upstairs we had underfloor heating installed, which works more efficiently with the lower thermal output of the pump. Downstairs we put in double skin radiators, sometimes a little larger than before, and its enough to keep us toasty.
We don't set the thermostat high. I'm a man who believes that if someone is cold, put a jumper on! However I'm in shorts all the time. We leave the heating on all the time at 18-19c during the day dropping to 15c at night. I think more electricity is used heating a a house from cold rather than a constant temp. It seems to be cost effective and our electricity bill is around £140 a month, and that's it. We don't have any other fuel bills.
The pump rarely gets used between April and October as we also at the time had solar hot water system installed. Generally in the summer months this provides all the hot water we need. But we live in Devon, so we get more sun and the overall climate is better than Yorkshire.
There is little maintenance costs. You can have a yearly service, the payments from the government only stipulate that its in good condition.
Noise levels of the pump are low. You can notice it outside, but not so much inside. Obviously site the pump away from near neighbours if you can. Ours is sited on the north of our house, where its cool all the time, so I guess not making the most of sun warmed air, but the installer didn't seem to think that was an issue.
Originally we were considering a ground source pump, but our garden, although big had a lot of trees in. Boreholes at the time were expensive, but I believe are cheaper now. Howe we are pleased with the heating we have.
Hope that helps.
Andrew
Post #876269 4th Jan 2021 7:22pm
Rashers

I have a Grant Oil Boiler. My heating engineer won't fit any other make as he likes their design and gets good technical back-up.

I didn't know they make heat pumps. They appear to be quite new in the market and from what I can see, they are not a rebrand of someone else's unit.

I have no experience. All I can say is their Boilers and back-up are first class and maybe they can see the writing on the wall for oil boilers and have made the decision to diversify?

I would not disregard the Grant but I can't give you any feedback I am afraid.
Post #876270 4th Jan 2021 7:29pm
Rashers

Andrew, boreholes are still expensive Big Cry

I still like the idea of ground source Thumbs Up but it is not for everyone. If you have a big lake in your back garden, that would be great. I don't Sad
Post #876271 4th Jan 2021 7:31pm
MOD_Series_III

United Kingdom 
Evening,

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone have experience of a water to water heat pump - using a river.

We have contacted lots of companies and no-one ever responds.

Thanks,

David
Post #876283 4th Jan 2021 8:07pm
Rashers

Hello David. I think you will struggle as rivers tend to be seen a grey area.

First thing is to contact the Environment Agency. If they won’t give you the go ahead, I am afraid you would be on a non-starter. You might need to engage an ecologist.

I seem to recall there was a Grand Designs on Ch4 where they did this or tried to do this. I am afraid I can’t recall whether they allowed it or not??

By doing this you would be theoretically warming the river up. Not a lot, but this may be frowned upon.

Sorry I can’t be of any more help.
Post #876294 4th Jan 2021 8:37pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
You would be cooling the river by taking heat out of it rather than warming it.
Post #876304 4th Jan 2021 9:21pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Supposedly fitting ashp in my new build but at present it’s on hold due to COVID 😢.

We are installing the Daikin https://www.daikin.es/es_es/daikin-altherma.html but we also have designed it with underfloor heating and have a 40cm concert slab to heat up Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #876308 4th Jan 2021 9:38pm
Chugga90

On a project we had. The client was very keen on air source heat pump. However they were told they needed three phase power supply. Is this still something needs considering?
Post #876313 4th Jan 2021 9:59pm
Rashers

Daikin is a long established AC manufacturer. No problem there either.

Yes camelman. Schoolboy error Laughing thanks Thumbs Up
Post #876314 4th Jan 2021 10:00pm
Rashers

Chugga90 wrote:
On a project we had. The client was very keen on air source heat pump. However they were told they needed three phase power supply. Is this still something needs considering?

Yes. If you have a large area to heat there is a high likelihood that the external unit will need to be three phase.

Standard non-lottery winners houses should just require a single phase unit. It’s best to check with the supplier.
Post #876315 4th Jan 2021 10:03pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Our gshp unit is inverter driven so can run on single phase rather than 3 phase. Its a 21kw unit. Much more than that will need to be 3 phase.
Post #876319 4th Jan 2021 10:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>