↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 > New fuel tank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Shuggy110

Scotland 2001 Defender 110 Td5 USW Stornoway Grey
New fuel tank
I have a 1984 V8 Ninety (converted from diesel 5 years or so back) with a 3.9 with Edelbrock carb etc. It’s actually ‘owned’ by my 15 year old son and as he will be driving it within 13 months or so I’d like to make it a bit safer. I don’t like the fact that the fuel tank is under the driver’s seat and I’d like to move it to the rear. I have no idea how old the galvanised chassis is, and I don’t know what make it is. Does anyone have any tips on whether a rear fuel tank is possible? The metal one leaks from the fuel gauge sender unit and despite having replaced the seals I think the best option is to move it backwards. I’ll probably drop it into Strathearn Engineering but would like to be a bit educated when I ask for various options.

I’m quite handy with a spanner and have had a few Defenders but I’d like this to be really safe for him.

I’m also going to put a very obvious battery isolation switch on the dash so the fuel pump can be turned off if there’s an accident to avoid stray sparks.

Option B is to sell it and buy something a bit less combustible!

Thanks in advance. And in the meantime I’m dealing with a Td5 110’s starter motor that won’t come out due to a rounded-off bolt...
Post #875984 2nd Jan 2021 11:28pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Rear tanks were fitted from TD5 onwards so in theory in should be doable. However, there will be brackets on the chassis for the tank cradle and the filler moves to behind the rear wheel so a conversion is not at all straightforward. It's one of those jobs that there isn't an off the shelf solution to and will require a degree of inventiveness to accomplish.

In terms of safety, apart from the leak which obviously needs to be fixed, the location of the fuel tank is way down on the list of issues with a Defender, to be honest. Handling and crashworthiness would be a much bigger concern for a teenager with a V8. A diesel engine would temper the performance and also reduce its' flammability but if safety is the priority then Option B is the better and probably cheaper solution. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #876000 3rd Jan 2021 8:38am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Fitting a pair of good quality strong rock sliders (or rock and tree sliders) would probably provide as much protection for the tank as moving it to the rear. Your probably statistically more likely to be hit from behind than from the side anyway.
Post #876015 3rd Jan 2021 10:35am
Shuggy110

Scotland 2001 Defender 110 Td5 USW Stornoway Grey
Good thoughts. I had forgotten that my old Td5 90 had the filler at the rear.
Post #876123 3rd Jan 2021 8:04pm
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
The tank would be the last of my worries, but if you must then might be more effective to fit a ali fuel cell on the rear cargo area. Retro fitting a rear tank to an early 90 isnt straight forward given all the extra scaffolding on the chassis to support it.
Post #876127 3rd Jan 2021 8:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1