↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Main relay on Defender? ** Car still randomly cutting out **
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
Silver110

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
Hello Guys,

I have just found this also after waking up with a couple of funny issues.

Last night I went out and as I went to crank over it stopped and cutout as if I had a flat battery moved the key 1/4” back and it fired up. Have tried many times since and it Now does this constantly.

Also I went out this morning. Ignition is still an issue and as I was driving along, at the same time I lost my heater blower slide from 1-3 and nothing but was cranking out lovely warm air at the time. and my spotlights which are on the spare switch on the other side to fog light switch. Both just stopped at the same time.

I also over last few weeks have had really spongey brakes which again came on overnight. First push peddle goes straight to the floor let the peddle come back up and the Second push they work fine.

Does this sound like it could be linked to a ignition switch?

2008 2.4tdci with around 80k miles.

Thanks!
Post #875419 31st Dec 2020 11:57am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
blurry wrote:
Hi Martin,
At the moment gone completely.

Hi Blurry,

Here's the section of the wiring diagram which is relevant to your problem

Click image to enlarge

Check Fuse 15 again (ideally voltmeter from ground to each side of the fuse), even swap it for a known good one just to be sure.

If it is not the fuse itself you have a problem in the the feed to the Header C0285.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #875425 31st Dec 2020 1:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
and maybe you (blurry) could talk to DerekV who seems to have similiar problems: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic76159.html
Post #875444 31st Dec 2020 3:11pm
Silver110

Can anyone shed any light on the below? After looking through a few threads this one seemed to be the nearest.

TIA

Silver110 wrote:
Hello Guys,

I have just found this also after waking up with a couple of funny issues.

Last night I went out and as I went to crank over it stopped and cutout as if I had a flat battery moved the key 1/4” back and it fired up. Have tried many times since and it Now does this constantly.

Also I went out this morning. Ignition is still an issue and as I was driving along, at the same time I lost my heater blower slide from 1-3 and nothing but was cranking out lovely warm air at the time. and my spotlights which are on the spare switch on the other side to fog light switch. Both just stopped at the same time.

I also over last few weeks have had really spongey brakes which again came on overnight. First push peddle goes straight to the floor let the peddle come back up and the Second push they work fine.

Does this sound like it could be linked to a ignition switch?

2008 2.4tdci with around 80k miles.

Thanks!
Post #875572 31st Dec 2020 11:31pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
That sounds very like the ignition switch, which is not an uncommon failure unfortunately. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #875601 1st Jan 2021 1:53am
Silver110

Great thank you I will give it a try.

Does anyone know if this ignition switch could have any link to brake system. Like brake servo/booster. Just seeing if that’s a seperate issue or not.

Thank you x45kp for the guide. I am going to follow the same.
Post #875815 2nd Jan 2021 9:45am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I cannot think of any way in which the ignition switch could be causing the brake issue, they sound to me like two completely independent problems.
Post #875835 2nd Jan 2021 11:42am
Dagonet

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Java Black
This thread saved my wallet and a lot of grief! My 90 didn't start when I was queuing for the Eurotunnel in France. No slow fade, no symptoms leading up to it. Managed to push start and get home to Blighty, found this thread, ordered the part for £15 and got the job done in under an hour! My mechanic was going to charge me for hours of diagnostics and probably a new starter, not to mention being without the vehicle for days or weeks.
Chuffed to bits.
Post #968901 25th Oct 2022 7:23pm
The Anti Christ

Jamaica 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
X4SKP,

Thank you so much for documenting your journey, and with such detail!!!. Seems to have helped many here, and now me!

Had been experiencing an intermittant lazy start for the past two years. Impossible to diagnose cause whenever i showed it to any one she fired up fiercly.

Fast forward two months ago, the slow cranking was getting critical and happening more often, so I decided it was time to change battery which at three years old, I suspected might have been at the root of the issue. With the brand new battery she started behaving properly again...problem solved!

....but then...

Two weeks into it, her first cranks of the day started getting weak again. (only the first crank of the day mind you... after that she was pefect for the balance of our travels for that day).

Then, one morning when she refused to turn at all..instead only making a click from under the hood, I felt certain my starter solenoid was failing... but then she started so perfectly on the second try that I wandered if it was overreacting, especially when my trusted auto electrician and others whose opinions i hold in high esteem, told me that sometimes these things happen and to "watch it for a while".

Flash foward three weeks....got up one morning leaving for a journey across country, by now my habit was to leave the house clutching the keys to my backup auto, "just in case" she decides not to start that morning...

Turned the key....nothing... not even a click.... jumped into my backup old faithful feeling deflated and decided to get a new starter first thing when i got back.

So flash forward to after having the new starter fitted (Original Land Rover manufactured by Bosch).... She started fireing up like when she was brand new...hadn't heard that kinda enthusiasm that since about 2014! ....Problem solved!

..... but then....

About a week later, while I was still in the euphoria and confidence returning to take just one set of keys on me again... the type of confidence a man has only has when he has 100% certainty of his motor.... she failed to start again. this time, she'd try to turn, hitting the flywheel with all the might of a battering ram and cut out a split second afterward.

No real crank.... more like a slam, then silence.

Again and again and again.

At first she would fire after a few attempts at ignition, until finaly it was too patheic to keep trying after 15 or more turns of the key.... the days where she would be fine after the first lazy crank of the day were ancient history.

My friendly local LR mechanic had suggested we try changing the ignition switch if the issue continued as the next step, in our expensive process of elimination, a few weeks previous... so started looking at Plan C: Change the ignition switch and relay.

Managed to get her started by bridging the ignition relay plug (at which she cranked and fired immediately) and went over my independents garage, where he managed to remove the ignition switch without having to take out the entire barrel assembly...YES...IT CAN BE DONE!!

All you need is a tiny phillips head screw driver bit from one of those changable screw driver sets where the driver bit fits into a hexagonal socket on the end of the screwdriver. He also used a very small ring spanner for extra leverage, which was hardly neccessary since the rear screw came out with just finger rotation of the phillips driver head/bit. A bit of forethought by LR for future removals ? hmmm

To be clear, all that holds the ignition switch into the ignition barrel are those two tiny screws, front and back. The back one you wont see at all...you have to feel your way around, preferably with slim hands.
A bit fiddly but manageable. Could have done myself if I had that phillips head socket end and the determination...anyway...lesson learned.

Anyway...Im very certain that this puzzle has been solved (again Whistle ) and I can finally and permanently start to rebuild confidence in my go anywhere, do anything Landy.

Its awful feeling that 50/50 doubt every time you go to start up...

Hopefully those days are behind us now.

...at least, until something else brakes Thumbs Up

Just fix it before your friends find out it broke again - Landy Life Forever!

Last edited by The Anti Christ on 4th Jul 2023 3:00am. Edited 8 times in total
Post #998334 3rd Jul 2023 2:56am
The Anti Christ

BTW

Decided not to change the ignition relay.

I suppose this offers an element of hope if the issue recurs Confused Just fix it before your friends find out it broke again - Landy Life Forever!
Post #998335 3rd Jul 2023 2:57am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello ‘TAC

Thanks… The ‘takeaway’ from this (for those suffering similar symptoms) is to better our experience
and go for the low cost… relatively easy to check areas first, battery health (parasitic drain) earth points, starter relay and ignition switch.

I faffed around in truth, missed the culprit Shocked Lucus switch and ‘justified to myself’
that at least I’ve excluded the battery and starter motor by fitting new and in the process knowing
that all connections were good. The starter motor is ok when you know, but aspects of its replacement
are achieved ‘blind’.

For me I got either a starting Defender or nothing… + intermittent… so as we know you live on never
really knowing (initially) that you’ve found the fix… oh for a fault that comes and stays… happy days!

Good luck… Thumbs Up SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #998481 3rd Jul 2023 11:00pm
The Anti Christ

Just fix it before your friends find out it broke again - Landy Life Forever!
Post #998487 4th Jul 2023 2:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345