Print this entire topic · 
muddypaws

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Sorry - if I'd only cleared out the garage during the first lockdown!! Richard

Defender 90 SVX
Post #867788 16th Nov 2020 8:30pm
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
Muddypaws, I may be interested in the manifolds if you still have them? 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #867808 16th Nov 2020 9:29pm
muddypaws

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Sure are - PM me for any further info (I have the complete bespoke exhaust that went with them too - non Landie) Richard

Defender 90 SVX
Post #867812 16th Nov 2020 9:45pm
Ranger 6

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Rimini Red
Hufflepuff wrote:
...Instead, I am contemplating obtaining a set of Range Rover manifolds as you suggested Romadog, such as these currently on ebay:

Click image to enlarge

and then fabricating a stainless section to meet up with the rest of the system, possibly also with one of the flexible joints in to allow for a bit of engine movement. ...

Your engine is obviously much newer than mine as knock sensors hadn't been invented when mine was built Laughing

However, my recent experience fitting the manifolds you've chosen has been a good one. My wheezing old 3.5 has been rejuvenated and now breathes so much better after fitting them. I have gone for a std steel system from a TD5 with RRC downpipes. Not perfect as it took a bit of fettling to connect everything up.

Anyway, since fitting I have read that these manifolds are the best Rover ever made for this engine (3.5/3.9) and compete for power with tubular versions. Mine now pulls well in fifth gear, which is effective timely an overdrive, fuel consumption has improved and it sounds so much better. 90 V8 CSW - 1988
Post #871365 4th Dec 2020 9:49pm
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
That is good to hear Ranger 6. They certainly fit with a lot more room between them and the chassis rails.

They arrived intact promptly through the postal system. I paid a little extra to have the flanges still attached, as I may end up making the connecting pipes to the rest of the Double-S system, and using the existing flanges could save a bit of time making some new ones.

Click image to enlarge

In hindsight, why would the seller cut the pipes off rather than remove them from the manifolds? Because they are well welded together would be the answer... Out with the penetrant spray, a large breaker bar and some wishful thinking...

Click image to enlarge

A morning spent with the wire wheel then cleaned them up to an acceptable state. Only one stud had come out with the nuts, so the next task would be to work out how to remove the remainders.

Click image to enlarge

Out with the Irwins (fantastic tool), but inevitably some of the studs still broke off. Fortunately there was just enough stud left to still grip with the Irwins, and a bit of heat to help with the removal.

Click image to enlarge

A coat of high temperature paint made them more presentable. Don't know how long the paint will last, but the black paint seems to have the highest temperature rating, so we'll see.

I also got the 'EFI' version of the manifold gaskets. Not sure why Land Rover changed from the one-gasket-per-port type to these multi-layers metal gaskets, but being connected together made them a bit less fiddly to fit.

Click image to enlarge

Then I could finally fit them. Way more room between the chassis rails, as you can see.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The other side also looks like the exhaust might clear the starter solenoid a bit better too, perhaps an exhaust wrap will be all the protection needed.

Click image to enlarge

The next job is to work out how to connect manifold to the remainder of the double-S system. As you have already suggested I could just get the Range Rover downpipes, but I don't think they'll work with the tubular gearbox crossmember?

Currently contemplating stretching my fabrication skills with one of these:
https://gizfab.com/product/2-1-exhaust-collector-jig/

which allows you to put your tube into, and have a easy straight edge to cut through, allows you to build a y-piece. It looks fairly straight forward in the video:

although I don't have a band saw at the moment. 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #874981 28th Dec 2020 10:37pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
"at the moment" Laughing

That all looks like it's coming together very nicely. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #874992 29th Dec 2020 9:05am
oneten110

United Kingdom 
Having had a double S exhaust system on my 110 v8.
The entire system was nothing more than a festering pile of dog excrement. It didn't fit, anywhere, the welds failed quite quickly and their response to my complaints were, bring it to our workshop and we wil sort it out. Not really practical when their workshop is 320 miles away and the welds have failed on the LH manifold.
I went to PD Gough in Nottingham and had a system tailor made by them. The comparison was laughable and their opinion of double s was unprintable.
https://www.pdgough.com
If Nottingham is too far away, try this outfit.
https://www.powerflowexhausts.co.uk It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #881989 30th Jan 2021 5:43pm
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
If I can get it to the point where I can drive it and get an MOT, then I can get it to somewhere in the future to make a nice one, such as Griffin Performance http://www.griffinperformance.co.uk/.

Having been working all day on the car today, I am doubting my ability to actually get this vehicle finished. I really want it running this year, but well... its not going well Big Cry 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #882001 30th Jan 2021 6:56pm
Ranger 6

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Rimini Red
Hufflepuff wrote:
....The next job is to work out how to connect manifold to the remainder of the double-S system. As you have already suggested I could just get the Range Rover downpipes, but I don't think they'll work with the tubular gearbox crossmember?

No, mine didn't. I had to swap the crossmember for a discovery one with the cranked ends. 90 V8 CSW - 1988
Post #940961 4th Feb 2022 2:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12