Home > Tdi > No Headlights.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
No Headlights.
Hi all
I have had a look in search but not a clear answer.

I need some help please, i was on my way to work this morning and noticed my headlights were not working, so when i got to work, i checked and no headlights Rolling Eyes so i thought it was the headlight switch, so i found Devon 4x4 the only place to have them in stock, other than postage they offer a click n collect, so that is what i did, so i fitted the new light switch and still no headlights, so i made my way home and checked to make sure the new switch wasn't faulty with a spare i got at home, but my spare did not work either. Then i checked the fuses, hazards and they are all okay.
The side lights and the ones in the headlights work, but when you put the headlights on, the side lights in the headlights go off and i have only the two side lights on above the indicators, you have full beam if you pull the arm back towards you and if you put the headlight switch forward so the headlights come on, but no headlights if you push the arm to full beam it comes on, the only thing i have not checked as it was dark is the headlight bulbs, but can two go at the same time without blowing a fuse ?

TIA

Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #865613 5th Nov 2020 8:34pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
It sounds like a cure all I know but could be grounding.
Have you tried a multimeter on the headlight plugs?
Continuity on the ground and voltage on the two live feeds ie. high and dipped. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #865618 5th Nov 2020 8:54pm
L110CDL

England 
No Steve as it was dark and the other big problem is that i don't have a multi meter and if i did have one, i wouldn't know how to use it Rolling Eyes 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #865620 5th Nov 2020 8:57pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
They aren’t very expensive, and help you trace the fault and come with instructions. It could be similar to the issue I had with the rear indicator a loose grounding stud.
Providing it is that of course.

Usually these things happen by themselves with no fuse blown as there is no short. Simply a bad ground has developed by vibration etc.
There is a higher load on main beam which could overcome a poor ground.

Is there any difference with the engine running with alternator voltage running compared to ignition on only?

Hope you manage to find it. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #865626 5th Nov 2020 9:18pm
L110CDL

England 
I do hope it can be sorted out as it will mean i can't drive when it's dark Rolling Eyes

Yes there is a difference, when you come back to home from work with the headlights on, i pull up onto the drive and when i turn the headlights off the engine runs a bit easier, when you turn the headlights on in the morning to go to work the engine slows down a bit, like being strained Rolling Eyes 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #865627 5th Nov 2020 9:27pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Not clear if you have main beam working in the normal "push away" position with the light switch in the headlight position?

Main beam working in the "flash" position removes a ground issue as a possibility.

Bear in mind both bulbs could well have blown, they won't normally take the fuse with them when they go. If you can, change one for a known good/new one Smile  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #865633 5th Nov 2020 9:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
L110CDL

England 
I will be checking the bulbs tomorrow at work in good light Thumbs Up

I have not got dipped beam in the main beam, what i found strange was that when the switch was in the dipped beam position, but with no dipped beam, you push the arm forward for the main beam and it works, so as i'm thinking about it more and more , i'm thinking blown bulbs Very Happy

many thanks Martin Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #865634 5th Nov 2020 9:52pm
gcc130

I had something similar and eventually tracked it down to a dodgy relay(pink).
2.4 puma
Post #865637 5th Nov 2020 10:22pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It could the dip/main switch (I had two fail on me) but I'm a little confused about you "sidelights in the headlights" comment. Do you have dim-dip on your truck, or have you fitted aftermarket lights incorporating sidelights?

If dim-dip I wouldn't mind getting it's the dip/main/indicator/horn switch that has failed.
Post #865638 5th Nov 2020 10:23pm
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
This sounds identical to a problem I had last year .
It was a faulty low/main beam stalk , the soldered contacts had worn in the mechanism .
I likewise assumed it was the on/off switch at first .
Drove home with my lights held on full beam, fortunately we’re pretty remote !

Rich https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #865644 5th Nov 2020 11:11pm
dorsetsmith

Click image to enlarge

link blue wire to blue with red tracer wire at the low/main beam switch with the main light switch all the way on engine running if headlights are now working your column switch Censored if still not working link out the blue wires on the dip dim relay if the headlight work now pink dip relay need looking at may just be dry soldered joints or relay may be toast

With the main light switch all the way on engine running current flow down blue wire too the headlamp relay out on the second blue wire from the relay to column switch and out on blue wire with red tracer to dip dim relay out second blue wire with red red tracer to fuse 11 and fuse 12 from fuse 11 in blue wire with black tracer to the RH head light and from fuse 12 in blue wire with pink tracer to the LH headlight

Click image to enlarge
Post #865685 6th Nov 2020 9:33am
L110CDL

England 
Thank you for all your reply's Thumbs Up

So i had put some spare headlight bulbs in today to take to work so i could change them, got in Millie to go to work, put the side lights on then i thought i would try the headlights to see if they would work and yes they did Rolling Eyes

When i stopped at grub time 10am ish i tried the lights again, if you push the headlight switch straight to the dipped beam position, no dipped beam, so pull the switch back to the off position, put it on sidelights, got sidelights, then wait up to a minute, then put the switch to dipped beam position and they work so at dinner time i lifted the bonnet and pulled/pushed the connecters to each of the headlight bulbs on and off at least 6 times, then tried the headlight switch straight to the dipped beam position and they worked straight away and for my trip home from work, so as Millie is going in tomorrow for another one of her 6,000 mile services, i have asked my indy to do all the earths for me, so only time will tell now Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #865791 6th Nov 2020 9:05pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Good news in the end then. 👍🏻 Very Happy Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #865799 6th Nov 2020 10:10pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
L110CDL wrote:
Thank you for all your reply's Thumbs Up

So i had put some spare headlight bulbs in today to take to work so i could change them, got in Millie to go to work, put the side lights on then i thought i would try the headlights to see if they would work and yes they did Rolling Eyes

When i stopped at grub time 10am ish i tried the lights again, if you push the headlight switch straight to the dipped beam position, no dipped beam, so pull the switch back to the off position, put it on sidelights, got sidelights, then wait up to a minute, then put the switch to dipped beam position and they work so at dinner time i lifted the bonnet and pulled/pushed the connecters to each of the headlight bulbs on and off at least 6 times, then tried the headlight switch straight to the dipped beam position and they worked straight away and for my trip home from work, so as Millie is going in tomorrow for another one of her 6,000 mile services, i have asked my indy to do all the earths for me, so only time will tell now Very Happy

My 300 TDI a odd ball electrical issue, with the side lights. I had a bit of a fiddle with the fuses and they did come on. The laugh was i changed the front lights, with new bulbs and i never had any trouble at all. So it could have been a case of dirty earths. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #868822 21st Nov 2020 6:05pm
L110CDL

England 
Yes it could have been the earths as at the moment ( touchwood ) the headlights are all working okay Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #869248 23rd Nov 2020 9:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>