↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Paint protection film
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Jerry

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Tim - did you try and get the off-roading scuffs removed from your alloy wheels at the same time? I was just wondering whether they could be polished out!
Post #863695 26th Oct 2020 9:52pm
Tim in Scotland

I didn’t, the detailers reckon that they could do the refurb as the scratching isn’t too deep. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #863696 26th Oct 2020 9:56pm
Jerry

Fair enough. I was hoping to see a before and after! Bw Jerry
Post #863699 26th Oct 2020 9:59pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
My X being covered.

130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #864474 30th Oct 2020 7:35pm
Jerry

Looks great. Amazing workmanship!
Post #864504 30th Oct 2020 9:49pm
zilch

Australia 
the detailer took a collection of shots that no doubt will go up on their social media pages at some point..
it is currently with the dealers having all the remaining accessories fitted, so will look less urban after today
The photo's are post the xpel ultimate PPF / ceramic application, I stayed with gloss.. it was expensive enough
and i was not prepared to fork out 40% extra for the "stealth" film

https://mitchelltooley.pixieset.com/landroverdefender yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #864522 30th Oct 2020 11:44pm
Tim in Scotland

Looking good Zilch. I prefer the gloss too, each to their own though.

I got mine back on Monday evening and it’s been so wet here up to today I haven’t taken any photos. Tomorrow is also supposed to be going to be wet and a 60mph storm is blowing through too so Saturday might be out.
Mine looks fantastic now in the wet and as soon as the car starts to move the rain just rolls off it. As you say the high gloss wrap is expensive enough without going for the satin finish. One thing with the miserable weather here and it being away for 8 days is I’ve not put any diesel in the tank for 3 weeks. It only needed a half tank to brim this afternoon when I filled it ready for the weekend.
We have an offroad run on Sunday that promises to be muddy on the trail so I’ll see how easy it is to clean on Monday! This could be my last outing offroad for a while as we have travel restriction coming in on Monday up here that mean that I won’t be able to travel outside my county or health board area. It’s harsh as we’ve only had one infected person out here since April and that was a school pupil at the High School in the next village but the rest of Central Scotland has high rates of infection but our bold leaders don’t want to go into another full lock down, or they don’t have the courage to go back to that........ and we have Spanish Covid now not the Chinese strain............ kindly carried to us by all the folks who HAD to have a summer holiday in the Spanish sunshine. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #864523 31st Oct 2020 12:09am
zilch

Australia 
Amazed how easy it was to clean Tim, it came back from the dealers after they fitted the accessories,
and greasy paw prints from the oiks everywhere, we had left a no wash sign in from our detailer,
they did not want a pressure wash let loose on it for a few weeks. I gave it a quick hose down and dried
it with a microfibre cloth and it looks like it has been fully waxed and polished Thumbs Up

It will earn its investment once we start the tour of 🇦🇺, gravel roads, national park trails, etc, the potential
for bush stripes is very high, this should protect against the majority yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #864572 31st Oct 2020 12:33pm
Zeplin000

Some good looking vehicles here. The X with the satin looks great and like to contrast of the black wheels against the gloss Eiger grey too. I was tempted by the satin, but hadn't seen any in the flesh and was about 20pc more for me...

I try to be careful with the pressure washer - iI left mine a few weeks for the ppf to stick properly but after that I've been using my washer on low power from about 3 feet with no worries.One major plus for me is that washing takes about half the time as normal as I just use the one bucket and don't have to worry about swirl marks.
Post #864579 31st Oct 2020 1:05pm
zilch

Australia 
Quote:
I try to be careful with the pressure washer - iI left mine a few weeks for the ppf to stick properly but after that I've been using my washer on low power from about 3 feet with no worries

that was my concern when it went into the dealers, i know they will give it to an apprentice/trainee to clean who
will just blast away if you let them, hence the "no wash" sign left in, and i was glad they followed the instructions. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #864692 1st Nov 2020 12:35am
Tim in Scotland

Makes you wonder what dealers scrubbing teams do when they get a new car delivered that has the factory fitted wrap on it............. I wonder if they have special instructions.
Having had mine done by a 3rd party I have a 10 year warranty on the film, I don’t think you get that with the factory applied film that is, I believe, from the.same PPF manufacturer. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #864705 1st Nov 2020 8:36am
GreenMonster

United States 
I had wrap on my last car, and I’ve decided not to wrap my Defender as I just don’t think the cost makes sense. I know most people disagree, but the cost of wrap seems to have gone up so much that it’s not that different from just getting the car repainted at some point. I tend to agree with this guy now.

And I really like what this guy has to say about ceramic. So much wasted money.
Post #878995 16th Jan 2021 11:02pm
J77

Scotland 
The guy in the second video I don’t think has a good word to say about anything. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #878996 16th Jan 2021 11:07pm
GreenMonster

United States 
Doesn’t mean he’s wrong. Ceramic has all the characteristics of classic scams. $15 bottle of Wolfgang paint sealant has worked just fine for me for years.
Post #879572 19th Jan 2021 4:06pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I've always thought of PPF as "helicopter tape" and just used on the leading edges of the rotor blades to give a degree of protection from almost microscopic size, airbourn particles.

If you are looking for protection from gravel rash, or stones thrown up on the road then you should be looking at something like the shark fin rock guards fitted by the manufacturer:

Click image to enlarge

Some is more akin to sandpaper than PPF.

Didn't the US start a craze, that didn't take off anywhere else, for car bras?

Post #879665 20th Jan 2021 9:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>