↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Dual Battery install - Redarc Redvision install, Day 1
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
2010Blackdefender90

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Dual Battery install - Redarc Redvision install, Day 1
Clearing out the 90 for a rebuild on electrics, battery power, and reducing the cables that run into the battery box.

Out goes all the cables, fuse boxes, relays and what seems miles of wiring to all lights and accessories, the huge lump of a lead acid battery is going too.

In comes a Optima red top for starting, a yellow top to accessories, in comes a Redarc Battery manager 30 for solar input house battery management and on shore battery charging, also adding is a Redvision distribution box, and monitor, this removes the need for relays and switches, and also comes pre fused, 5 10 amp circuits, 5 30 amp circuits. I’m also installing an IBS dual battery system, more as a backup, as that allows linking of both batteries in case of needing more power in cold starts, belt and braces.

Today, removing some of the wiring, much more to cut out, fuse boxes, solar charge controller, old battery monitors, ctek battery / comfort charge point, 4 usb plugs and 2 12v sockets, battery, which left making space in the battery box for a flatdog dual battery tray, and the Optimas.

The manager 30 is in, along with the remote battery monitor, above that is the Anderson plug for the solar panel input, 12 v and USB sockets, why there, I have gullwings, so that side is easy to access and the 270 awning starts that side too. Easy reach in to the fridge as well.

Rain stopped play and my dremel needed a charge, before I trim the window surround, although the fridge butts up on that side, so you won’t see it hidden away.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Day two will be installing the Redarc battery shunt, connecting up the batteries, already made up the cables, crimped and heat shrunk, replace the mega fuse positive terminal with an inline fuse block, install the IBS dual battery monitor and pre-wire the cables to the Redvision, which is on route from OZ and pull out even more wiring, looms, relays and switches.

The Victron battery monitor and MPPT solar charge controller are in the “for sale” section if anyone is interested.

Links

https://www.redarc.com.au/vehicle-management-systems/redvision

https://www.redarc.com.au/themanager30

https://www.tbruk.com/ekmps/shops/tbracc/i...24-4-p.asp
Post #863343 24th Oct 2020 4:06pm
db950

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
That’s going to be an impressive set up, big bucks but nice!
I’ve got a Redarc BCDC1240 charger to install, the battery manager 30 would of been a better solution for me but cost prohibitive!!
I see a lot of the Optimas fitted but their low Ah kinda put me off them, I assume they must be up to the job though. 1997 Ex-MOD 110, Pop Top Camper, build thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72352.html
2014 Discovery 4 SE Tech
Instagram @the110camper
Post #863390 24th Oct 2020 9:06pm
2010Blackdefender90

I know someone, who knows someone, who knows someone, that got me a decent deal. Thumbs Up but yes, they are costly. But, impressive equipment. The Aussies got us beat on the equipment they put into their rigs.

Happy with the Optimas, yep, limited AH, but enough for what I need to run a compressor fridge, USB’s, lights etc. Biggest issues is space in a 90 to put the second battery and the Optimas fit under the seat perfectly.

I’ve got a fabricator making a baking plate / mount to install the display until on a 67d.com arm and ball, so I can mount it up high in the cab and out of the way.

It’s been a fun project planning etc.... but lot more work to do still over the next few weekends.

Thumbs Up
Post #863391 24th Oct 2020 9:26pm
db950

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Sure handy when you know someone..... Thumbs Up

Gutted I missed out on the battery monitor you had for sale.

Look forward to the progress updates Thumbs Up 1997 Ex-MOD 110, Pop Top Camper, build thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72352.html
2014 Discovery 4 SE Tech
Instagram @the110camper
Post #863397 24th Oct 2020 9:55pm
2010Blackdefender90

Dual Battery install - Redarc Redvision install, Day 2
More wiring, relays removed, all now switches out. Installed the rj45 cable from the manager 30 up into the roof console ready for the redvision monitor, this is mounted to a 67d.com 20mm ball and short carbon arm, currently ready to be mounted on a iPad mini ram mount, hopefully tomorrow when the UPS guy shows up.

Both batteries are in, with the 500 amp mega fuse in an inline fuse box, the flatdog tray and brackets are in. Yet to hook up terminals, but all cables ready to attach. The IBS is a mess of wiring, no matter how it’s cable tied or wrapped. Everything is now labelled, so the wiring for that will just have to get pushed down as best as possible. The manager 30 shunt is in, screwed in against the battery box bulkhead.

Next up, install the redvision monitor and start wiring of the all the Lazer LED lights, front, rear, and a work light, those are all going to run, twin cabled, connected directly to the redvision distribution box, which had the relays and fuses built in.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #863488 25th Oct 2020 5:38pm
Pjembe

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
I'm looking at getting the REDARC BMS30 along with new solar and Lithium batteries for my Defender as part of the camper / poptop conversion. Expensive kit but lots of good reviews.

Will be following your installation with interest.
Post #863612 26th Oct 2020 12:40pm
2010Blackdefender90

Happy to answer any questions... remember that the battery positive terminals are taking more inputs from the BMS, especially the house battery, so you might have to get creative with power to the positive terminals, or add a bus bar.

The “Shunt” is a monster too.

Use Anderson plugs for the solar panel Thumbs Up
Post #863614 26th Oct 2020 12:57pm
2010Blackdefender90

Redvision Day 3
The Redvision finally arrived, after spending 10 days in HRH customs 🛃 in Coventry, and then took a week to be delivered.

So this is day 3 of the dual battery Redvision install

The unit is small and now sits behind the seats and attached to the back of the drawers.

Click image to enlarge

Everything has been rewired from the lights etc, directly to the redvision box, divided up into 10 amp inputs and 30 amp inputs, the latter has my ARB dual compressor and Dometic 35L fridge attached. The Redvision box has fuses and relays built in, and the manger 30 BMS has now been hooked up to Redvision.

Click image to enlarge

The Redvision has two temp sensors, so I routed one into a grommet in the back of the battery box, this will monitor outside temps, and the other will go into the drain plug to monitor the fridge temps, both temps are displayed on the Redvision display unit.

Click image to enlarge

I’ve attached the front monitor to a 67D 100mm series’s 55 mount, with a 20mm track ball, for now, mounted on a ram mount, I have some alloy to make up a backing plate which will move things back significantly.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The rear monitor will go on the back door, and the cat 5 cables has been routed down the back, so the network is all ready to go, I must be the only Defender with a CAT5 network Thumbs Up

No matter how much you try and be neat, somehow it looks a mess, although it really isn’t. Everything has been crimped heat shrunk, flexible covering, and all zipped tied down. After the passenger and fridge goes in, you won’t see it anyway.

Click image to enlarge

I’m now waiting on new battery terminals to arrive Tuesday, these allow for extra inputs and to add a side post so as not to stress the terminals with a ton of wires forced on, with these terminals I can safely add 8 positive feeds on each battery terminal, spread the load.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/ba...-terminal/

I won’t be using the passenger seat cover, instead I have a rubber mat going on the top of batteries, and will cover with some carpet, this way all the wires can be fed directly into the battery compartment.

So, things left on the list, put the plastic battery cover back on underneath, install the ARB manifold and hook up the pump connector, install the Lazer RRR 24 light bar, put the fridge back in, configure the entire system, and test everything works and hope I don’t blow the thing up Rolling with laughter I’ve double checked every connection, so should be OK.
Post #865922 7th Nov 2020 5:03pm
2010Blackdefender90

Redvision Install Day 4
The rear monitor is now installed and wired up. The Mudstuff molle cage needed cutting to make it fit, dremel time. The CAT5 cable runs through the large rubber grommet, into the rear and out along the inside of the drawers, can’t see it.

Why two monitors, when the rear door is open, camping, the internal lights etc can be controlled from this monitor, as well as access to everything else. I got the second monitor free, so might as well use it.

Click image to enlarge

Everything is now wired up and double checked, now waiting for the battery terminals to arrive and then start up time. Thumbs Up [/b]
Post #866077 8th Nov 2020 3:19pm
2010Blackdefender90

Redvision install, day 4.25
A quick extended lunch break...

Made the Redvision monitor backing plate out of 3mm alloy, cut to a template. The monitor bolts in with 4 M4 bolts, on a 67d.com 20mm ball that fits in the socket in the centre, then connects to the 67d arm into the roof console

This takes the monitor back 1” instead of using the ram iPad mini mount. Cleaner mount.

Click image to enlarge

Mounted the Lazer R24 under the Naka front mount on the rack.

Click image to enlarge
Post #866282 9th Nov 2020 3:29pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I have no idea what half of this kit is but it looks so overkill and frankly incredible! Good Job!!! Thumbs Up
Post #866459 10th Nov 2020 10:39am
2010Blackdefender90

It’s actually not, it’s a dual battery charger / monitor, solar charger and shore power battery charger all in one unit, the Redvision, replaces all the looms, relays, switches and wiring. Making this a much easier install for lights and accessories. As you can see, I pulled out a huge amount of wiring. This install is much simpler now.

It’s all controlled from one monitor, or in my case, two, I can check both batteries health, power consumption, charge, as well as control all my lights, fridge, USB’s, 12v inputs. E.G. It can be programmed to turn on the rear lights when reversing in the dark if the lights, or turn on my rock lights when the LED light bar is on, for instance. I have a water tank, which can also be monitored too, and having a fridge monitored, also allows flexibility to shut down everything, but keep the fridge ticking over.

There are so many options to control everything the way you want, it’s a brilliant bit of kit. Overkill, maybe, It’s almost impossible to drain a battery, if either battery drops below a certain voltage, everything can be shutdown, so you can safely start in the morning.

Do I need it, nope, did I want it, yep.

I do several big trips each year, this is just an evolution of how I change the Defender to suit my needs while travelling. Next year I’m planning on doing a west to east, east to west, month long trip across the Pyrenees, northern Spain, some wild camping, camp sites, hotels, so this in prep for that trip.

I’m lucky in that I know someone who got me all this kit wholesale in Oz Thumbs Up
Post #866469 10th Nov 2020 11:05am
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Looks epic. Ive only just started looking at leisure batteries but this is clearly the rolls royce of dual battery setups.
Post #866471 10th Nov 2020 11:13am
2010Blackdefender90

I need to stop watching YouTube videos of Aussies building their rigs... Rolling with laughter

They have awesome kit down there that we can’t get here, unless we import it.
Post #866476 10th Nov 2020 11:22am
NormanD

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
UK Importer https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/redarc-bcdc...oller.html NormanD WE191

2015 110 XS Utility
2014 VW Caravelle 180 Executive
Post #866482 10th Nov 2020 11:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>