↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Paint protection film
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
zilch

Australia 
Day 2 of 4 of the paint protection work, the detailers first black glossed the A pillars the whole vehicle will
now have the xpel PPF applied and then ceramic coated.

Tim not sure what your thoughts are on the black A pillars, i think it ties in everything above the shoulder line
quite nicely (as well as giving the A pillars 3 layers of protection against bush stripes/bramble rash)

Click image to enlarge
 yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #862545 20th Oct 2020 8:12am
Tim in Scotland

I considered it too as well as getting the front grille/ bash plate area and the rear bulge wrapped black which will then reduce the car from black roof green main body and silver lower bits to black and green. For the time being I’m just going with leaving the lower bits silvery after seeing one with the black wrap on the silver and it was already damaged by stone chips with the silver showing through........ I suspect that painting it will end up the same. I rather like this look (I don’t like the roof light pod though!)

Click image to enlarge

I dropped mine off at the film appliers (Ultimate Shine in Stirling are the company that detailed and Gtechniq’ed it and give it TLC every 3-4 weeks) yesterday morning and they expect it to be ready on Thursday afternoon or Friday morning. I have high hopes of a great job as the only cars that they have done to date are things like MacLarens, Lotuses, Porsches , Bentleys and other sporty cars. There was a brand new Porsche Taycan Turbo S being dropped off for the same film as I was handing over my keys so tbleast I’m not their guinea-pig car, just their guinea-pig New Defender! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #862553 20th Oct 2020 8:54am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Mine is not far off now.

Click image to enlarge
 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #862657 20th Oct 2020 7:53pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
We have an Urban Discovery 5 round this neck of the woods somewhere. Awful looking thing.

I soooo want to get a sharpie and add a T to the front badge.

And as for those light pods.......... Whistle

Post #862664 20th Oct 2020 8:16pm
defender_enthusiast

United Kingdom 
Does anyone happen to know the paint code for the white contrast roof?

I have a 110 first edition, which comes only with the black contrast roof.

I actually prefer the white contrast roof, so I am going to look to wrap the roof - I’d like to try and get as close as possible to the OEM white contrast roof colour.

Cheers!
Post #863131 23rd Oct 2020 6:15am
Tim in Scotland

Got a phone call last evening to say that my car will be ready for collection on Monday - reason for the delay was that they found several stone chips on the leading edge of the bonnet and the near side front wing and were waiting for a vial of touch up paint from the dealers so that they can treat those before they apply a touch up of the Ceramic coating and then put the film on those two panels. In the present cool and wet conditions here it will be great to get back into a car that doesn’t keep misting up inside or pour rain into the drivers foot well when I open the door. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #863152 23rd Oct 2020 8:27am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
^ That's good to hear really, Doing a proper job rather than just put it on anyway Thumbs Up

I like the black on the Urban one (the pillars) I guess this could be wrapped so if you don't like it just revert back.

I love watching the Stuff Mark at Yiannimize does with cars... these are his partner company Urban I like the one with gloss black bits... Just not the light pod and lunch box Smile

Click image to enlarge
Post #863167 23rd Oct 2020 9:43am
Tim in Scotland

I saw a video of someone taking delivery of an Urban exact version of my own car and that has the lower front grille and bumper and the rear repainted gloss black and I rather like it. Could forgo the fussy 22” Urban design black gloss wheels though. I’ve had one Land Rover that came with black gloss 20” wheels - never again as they aren’t black right through so any scuff shows up silvery alloy colour........ Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #863170 23rd Oct 2020 9:54am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
You just need a couple of Halfords satin black rattle cans, Tim Smile Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #863175 23rd Oct 2020 10:22am
zilch

Australia 
gloss wheel arch protection, definitely urban Sad yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #863184 23rd Oct 2020 11:12am
Tim in Scotland

The problem with “Urbanisation” is that what they do to your car immediately looks awful the first time you venture off the supermarket car park onto a field and the grass and small trees get higher than the wheel centres. That shiny black paint very soon becomes scratched and the original primer or silvery bits show through......... Urbanising is fine if the highest rock your car might to scale is the 3” high granite kerb outside the kid’s school. I’ll be keeping mine practical as much as possible. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #863187 23rd Oct 2020 11:36am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Tim

I would think that 95% of current JLR owners will as you say only go off road to park on a dropped kerb near to their local school to drop the sprogs off Smile

My dad in the FFRR was asked by the instructor when he did the landrover day, have you got this option in your car sir pointing at the terrain buttons, yes replied my dad, no idea what they do it just looked plane without the buttons their.... to I ticked it Rolling with laughter

He has features in this car he's never even used. Shocked
Post #863212 23rd Oct 2020 3:38pm
Tim in Scotland

My next door neighbour has a 2011 Evoque and just before they headed off for a week’s holiday somewhere in the wilds of Wester Ross 2 weeks ago he asked me for a lesson in how to drive it using the TR knob! He’s a country vet and they use a practice Dacia Duster with 4x4 and “no complicated “ controls so he thought he’d better find out what the dial onthe Evoque’s centre console does in case they ended up needing to use one of the settings. I had to tell him that he wouldn’t get very far off the beaten track track on the almost bald tyres on the Evoque- it was still on the set it left the factory with 9 years ago! But since they came home I see it’s now on a set of new set of rubber, just in time for an MOT on Monday! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #863220 23rd Oct 2020 4:33pm
captain slow

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
Zeplin000 wrote:
Here’s my car getting the full ppf treatment at Topaz. Slightly more expensive than the LR factory option, but covered the whole car including roof. Satin was extra though. So far the ppf is holding up perfectly-would highly recommend it especially if off roading.

Thanks for sharing that video - looks amazing and was strangely satisfying to watch! Thumbs Up 2.2 Tdci 110 XS CSW Corris Grey
Prince Harry's D3 (gone but not forgotten)
300 Tdi 110 CSW (gone but not forgotten)
Post #863331 24th Oct 2020 1:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

I collected mine from USA, the detailers I’ve been using, late this afternoon.
The shine on the film is impressive and with the sun setting the Green looks more intense in Autumn sunshine. I’ve had the bonnet, both A pillars and the sides up to the window line done and haven’t yet been able to find any join lines or gaps around panels - they’ve made a good job of folding over the edges and cutting very close up to the wheel arch trims (or I couldn’t see if they might have removed those to fit the film. They ended up using the new set of bonnet letters I supplied though as they weren’t happy with putting the film over the letters or cutting out a “window” around them so they took the old ones off, wrapped the bonnet and put on the new ones, and left me the original letters in a bag on the front passenger seat.

One aside - this is the first LR product I’ve owned with a sunblind behind the rear view mirror - driving with the sun setting over the front left side of the bonnet/ hood that little blind works really well. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #863669 26th Oct 2020 7:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>