↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > MOT failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Tin in Scotland wrote:
... I was told when the gear was removed that at build it wasn’t a legally required piece of kit but that changed not long after mine was built.

That would have been right, but more recently it became illegal to interfere with any emission control equipment that was fitted during the original factory build. Most motor vehicle construction regulations are not retrospective, but it is not explicitly clear what happens in the case of equipment that wasn't legally essential at build time and which has subsequently been removed legally prior to the "no alterations" law, and as far as I know this hasn't been tested by the legal system.

Equipment that was legally required to be fitted at build time but which was subsequently removed prior to such removal becoming illegal almost certainly must be refitted to comply with the law.

As far as the MOT is concerned it all rather depends on whether the tester notices what is or isn't present, and actually knows what should be present.
Post #857472 22nd Sep 2020 5:29pm
Tim in Scotland

Could be interesting times for a lot of D3 and L320 RRS owners with the 2.7 TDv6 engine then because a common thing was to remove and bank off the EGRs when they started to play up. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #857496 22nd Sep 2020 7:38pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yes, and all those decatted and de-egred TD5s and TDCis. I wonder if/when a remap will be considered "tampering with emissions equipment".
Post #857521 22nd Sep 2020 9:32pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
You’ve probably lessened your MPG, decreased your power and created more emmisions doing that than it was before as it’s more efficient and with a tune it brings the fuelling efficiency much more up to a high standard. Couple that with using a fuel additive I’d say they are worse out the factory than with a few mods as it improves efficiency and fuelling characteristics.
Except CAT removal, I think that certainly isn’t a good thing..

I like standard defenders and realise that a defender is not a road performance vehicle but a hard working utility vehicle. So my take is not to tinker with the (engine) design of the defender but maintain it as a classic original workhorse.
I have no interest in modifications to make it better and recognise that an unmodified engine has potentially more longevity.
However, each to their own.

I think that as the surge in more environmentally friendly vehicles continues, the greater the scrutiny will be on older more polluting vehicles (defender) and in time they will begin to penalise us for our modifications.
One user on this forum recognised this and suggested you retain the EGR and fittings if you blank it to return it back to original when the time comes.
If this was a good thing to do why do you all not confess to your insurance companies and MOT testers what has been modified? Be interested in the feedback you get
Post #857964 24th Sep 2020 7:59pm
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
i'm pretty sure I'm right in saying there's a inch square sticker under the bonnet on the bulkhead near the clutch fluid reservoir that indicates if an egr was fitted or not. it was suggested it was removed. i have a 1995 300tdi and no mot problems. 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #861361 13th Oct 2020 11:51am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Laugh is, My HDI has went through every single MOT, with out a Cat on, Its never had one on for 11 years. Also the EGR was blanked off some time ago too.
The TD5 was the 1st mod i did was bin off the EGR, and it went through an MOT, The 300 TDI i binned off the cat and EGR and that still passed, but failed on daft stuff, that the garage took the mick with. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #861782 15th Oct 2020 6:58pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
blackwolf wrote:
Yes, and all those decatted and de-egred TD5s and TDCis. I wonder if/when a remap will be considered "tampering with emissions equipment".

I'm not sure how a tester could tell if it's been remapped, or if they'd be interested looking for that at only 40 quid a car. I do think it's only a matter of time until they start actively looking for blanked egr's and decats though.
Stupidly loud exhausts may also be on the agenda soon. Councils and MP's are getting loads of noise complaints around here. Most of the ones I hear would fail circuit noise limits let alone MOT standards. Also easy money for the Government if the Police can start dishing out fines. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #861787 15th Oct 2020 7:22pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
They already do check for CAT presence, EGR also, exhaust volume I’m not sure on but a dab meter may well be avilable. Their main interest is critical safety such as braking, tyres, lighting of all types and steering and get really critical components.

Regarding exhaust volume, around this way it’s mostly motorbikes but some cars too.

Many get the MOT done, swap the system annually over in between. (Logic tells you they do this).
I think there is a dB limit set by law anyway similar in a way to window tint light percentage is, I think this is for cars but motorbikes exceed that massively.

I can only but imagine they present the vehicles / bikes for MOT in standard form then swap parts over.

That being said on the flip side there are those out there with zero interest in their vehicle and will happily drive on bald tyres or with brake lights out etc. And had it not be for the MOT they’d drive some until the wheels came off.

It’s like the speeding thing, despite it all it’s still happening all the time. Past present and future. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 15th Oct 2020 8:06pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #861796 15th Oct 2020 7:53pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Bikes already have to comply with noise regs......
Post #861799 15th Oct 2020 7:58pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
And is the dB limit the same as cars? Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️

Last edited by custom90 on 15th Oct 2020 8:06pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #861800 15th Oct 2020 8:03pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
*Deleted* Double post. * Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #861801 15th Oct 2020 8:03pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Not sure but found this.....

The old limit of 80 dB(A) for motorcycles has disappeared with the adoption of the Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) No 134/2014 and is replaced by the standard from the UNECE Regulation 41, which is 77 dB(A).
Post #861808 15th Oct 2020 8:17pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Would be interesting to compare to car limits for noise production.

I wonder how super cars come off with this? Surely vehicles like Ferrari’s, Lamborghinis, Mc Laren must be louder than the limit or do they have systems fitted especially to comply. I’m guessing they do, but then there is bound to be a significant difference between testing at idle and at full throttle and stationary and in motion.

I don’t mind so much unless people speed and race, not far fro us there is a 50mph limited B road.
About a 1/4 mile away a 60mph speed limit dose carriage way. In the summer there is no doubt superbikes, super cars and some modified vehicles do well in excess of 80mph almost every day. The dual carriageway especially as you can tell how fast pretty much by going up though the gears and revs.

They go along one side, to the roundabout, around it then race up the other side, side by side against one another.

A few years ago emergency services had to recover a deceased individual from a tree due to such behaviour in that very area.
When they found out the cause it was determined they were racing and the car was travelling somewhere between 100 and 110 mph.
Clipped the curb and lost control. Neutral Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #861815 15th Oct 2020 8:32pm
donmacn

Posting this here as it's not too old a thread...

I'm helping a friend do a bulkhead swap on his 1998 90 - 300Tdi.

While there, I noticed his car still had the EGR valve fitted (didn't think to check for a CAT).

I thought pulling it off would be easy enough, but a) I didn't know if we could just bin all the wiring/relay etc. This stuff here on the left, and all its associated wires and pipes;

Click image to enlarge

Second question is now whether this "ought" to be an MOT failure? Even looking through the thread above, I don't think it's clear, and I didn't think they were mandatory in the UK until some time later than 1998?

Edited to say that I've just properly read Blackwolf's post above - whether or not the EGr was required in 1998, it's since become illegal to remove part of a factory fitted emmissions control system. Fair enough. I might just leave well alone as I don't think my friend would be any the wiser.

But.... theoretically speaking... if I was to mention it to him, and he was happy to proceed, can I just remove all the electro/vacuum gubbins? I assume so? Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #896258 6th Apr 2021 5:02pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
From what i remember binning off the EGR system on the 300, was an ecu thing under the middle seat, and the said pipe work, but blanked off from that picture you posted. Never needed to remove any relays, as i am not sure what that did on the 300. If you search Procta 300tdi, i think i have the photos of what i binned. ( i don't have that car now sadly) Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #905785 31st May 2021 1:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123