↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Which garage lights to install?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Your good to go then Very Happy

Easy fix Thumbs Up
Post #861223 12th Oct 2020 9:01pm
Tomcat 106

2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Corris Grey
A big +1 for the Screwfix LAP led fittings. 4000k is a nice light not too fierce like some LEDs can be Don’t be put off by the wiring. They are an absolute doddle to fit 2 brackets, 1 screw in each, clip fitting in place. Wiring is push fit, no screws.
If you want something a bit bigger.... I put 1200x600 LED panel lights in a simple wooden frame and stuck them up in the rafters. Everyone who has seen them didn’t even think they were lights they let in as much light as you would get from a Velux roof light on a bright sunny day. Cheap as chips on Evil Bay 👍

You just cannot have enough light sometimes 😂 MY15.5 110XS CSW
1956 88" S1
2004 Tomcat 106 Comp safari
Post #861225 12th Oct 2020 9:05pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Very pleased with mine. Very clear and bright light. I went with six because - as above - you can never have too much light Laughing

Click image to enlarge
Post #861236 12th Oct 2020 9:28pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
As others have said, the Lap LED battens from Screwfix are the dogs. I have 6 in my (large) workshop and it is like daylight in there. I went for the 4 foot ones whihch are a higher rating than the 5 foot ones linked above... Whether that is just Screwfix crap labeling though I don't really know. They are good and really simple to install.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-twin-4ft-le...00lm/6481v
Post #861239 12th Oct 2020 9:45pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Tomcat 106 wrote:
A big +1 for the Screwfix LAP led fittings. 4000k is a nice light not too fierce like some LEDs can be Don’t be put off by the wiring. They are an absolute doddle to fit 2 brackets, 1 screw in each, clip fitting in place. Wiring is push fit, no screws.
If you want something a bit bigger.... I put 1200x600 LED panel lights in a simple wooden frame and stuck them up in the rafters. Everyone who has seen them didn’t even think they were lights they let in as much light as you would get from a Velux roof light on a bright sunny day. Cheap as chips on Evil Bay 👍

You just cannot have enough light sometimes 😂

Be very careful with the cheap LEDs. They are cheap for a reason. The main issue with LED is that they are mostly unserviceable. When they fail, there is nothing you can do other than bin it and buy another (yes, these are environmentally friendly Whistle ) If you suffer from OCD, the chances of finding a panel or light similar in design and colour to what you have may be a bit of a lottery. We had exactly this problem in our office at work. Chinese LED Panels and we can’t find anything to match the existing.

LEDs also do not like heat. Heat will kill an LED light fitting. Apart from the quality of the LEDs, a lot of the cost of the light is the heat sinks and how efficiently they remove the heat from the fitting. The cheap ones will pay little service to this and this can cause premature failure.

I’m not saying evil bay light fittings are all rubbish, but you pays your money, you takes your chances. A bricks and mortar seller may be your friend if you get a failure.
Post #861240 12th Oct 2020 9:46pm
Danny Fireblade

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
I got 2 of these for my garage, really easy to install and have been faultless.

A good quality brand and the company is excellent too.

https://www.novelenergylighting.com/led-fi...79878.html
Post #861266 13th Oct 2020 12:25am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I swapped the old tubes out of mine as I was fed up with the constant hum. I prefer the daylight bulbs for the more natural light due to my S.A.D. syndrome .
I used this company https://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/light-bulbs/led/t8-tube/ who even replaced two tubes that failed after 12 months. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #861311 13th Oct 2020 9:34am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Do have to do anything with starters or wiring when putting an LED tube in a fluorescent fitting? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #861329 13th Oct 2020 10:16am
ARC99

When you purchase the LED lights you will need the replacement for the starter as you cannot use the original. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #861332 13th Oct 2020 10:25am
Tim in Scotland

One thing for the more OCD members here is that when an LED tube or bulb fails the replacement you put in is often a very slightly different colour unless you manage to keep a batch number or buy a couple of spares when you get the first tubes. After 6-7 years I recently had both an LED down lighter in my kitchen and another in my bathroom fail and ended up buying 10 lamps in total so that I had 4 matching whites in the bathroom and 6 matching whites in the kitchen.......... and the lamps are different physical sizes in the two rooms so I can’t reuse 4 from the kitchen in the bathroom...... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #861340 13th Oct 2020 11:20am
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
+1 for replacing the old tubes with the daylight LED versions - much better. It is also worth considering the LED panels intended for use in false ceilings - available in various sizes. They give a huge amount of light and some are only about 10mm deep so very useful if your ceiling height is restricted. I also have one that I slide underneath the vehicle to use as a work light.

https://www.ledpanelstore.co.uk/led-panels.html
Post #861341 13th Oct 2020 11:23am
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Tim in Scotland wrote:
One thing for the more OCD members here is that when an LED tube or bulb fails the replacement you put in is often a very slightly different colour unless you manage to keep a batch number or buy a couple of spares when you get the first tubes

That's because there is no such thing as a white LED. A "white" LED is actually an ultra-violet emitter which excites a phosphor layer into emitting white light. The phosphor composition determines the colour temperature (the Kelvin rating) and the manufacturers don't seem to be very good at keeping the recipe consistent. Sadly this also means that they will dim over time just like a fluorescent tube or CRT TV that uses the same phenomenon to produce visible light.
Post #861343 13th Oct 2020 11:29am
ARC99

The one thing I have found with LED tubes is that they attract dust more than the Fluorescent, this is due I believe to be the fact they use plastic now instead of glass, I have to clean the tubes every month to maintain a bright light. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #861383 13th Oct 2020 3:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12