↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Strange breakdown experience puma 2.4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tdfan

1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Arles Blue
Strange breakdown experience puma 2.4
Good evening, this is a long shot but thought that some of the knowledgeable on here might be able shed light on a strange experience I had today in a friend's 2009 Puma 2.4 with high miles ( over 130,000). Started normally. drove for about 10 minutes, all fine. Pulled over and left it idling whilst we unloaded some stuff. Only idling for about 2 or 3 minutes when suddenly i heard what I can only describe as a rattling sound from the engine , it stuttered and then cut out.When we tried to restart it was really sluggish in turning over and would not start. Kept trying and eventually it began to make an effort to start but would not quite fire but lots of smoke whilst trying.Finally, by giving it loads of throttle it started again and ran perfectly normally with no smoke. Drove home, only thing we could find was that the coolant was low. All very very strange. Any ideas anyone please?
Post #859828 4th Oct 2020 8:57pm
ozzie1989

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
Struggling to start would suggest either a lack of compression or a fuel related issue. The smoke was most likely unburnt fuel.

Air getting into the fuel can cause the engine to rattle a bit as it starts to run unevenly.

Giving it throttle probably didn't do anything as it's an electronic throttle and if memory serves me right has no effect on start up.

Couple of things to check:

- Fuel: Has it had a fuel filter change recently? Check it's a decent one and fitted correctly.

- Compression: Easy way to loose compression is via loose injectors, which cause all sorts of noises. Run the engine and look at the injectors, if they are loose you'll see them moving.

- Coolant: These engines don't really loose coolant, so check the expansion tank and cap, hoses etc. for signs of leakage. Now: 2010 2.4 TDCi 110 Utility Wagon
Then: 2004 2.5 TD5 90 Hard Top (X-Tech Edition)
Post #859862 5th Oct 2020 8:10am
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
The cylinder head temperature sensor will cut fuel flow, causing a mis fire leading to the engine cutting out, if it goes over temperature. Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #859911 5th Oct 2020 3:33pm
spudfan

Ireland 
My wife and daughter were driving home one night in the 2.4 when it started cutting out while the temperature gauge would read high. Turned out to be losing coolant and the engine is designed to cut out to avoid damage. My daughter would put water in the coolant reservoir and they would drive on until it stopped again, got topped up and cooled. When they got home I found one of the clips on one of the hoses had shifted allowing coolant to escape. I changed the clip, I topped it up and purged the air and we never had any bother since. The cut out due to rising temperature stopped the engine getting damaged. So check for a leak where your hose clips are. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #859927 5th Oct 2020 4:13pm
tdfan

Thanks for the replies,I can't remember what the temperature gauge was showing but the coolant was very low. Does anyone know if the gauge have to register as overheating before the sensor makes it cut out? If it was that sensor, what does it actually do, does it cut the fuel or is it something else? 'm just trying to figure out what seemed like the lack of compression initially when I tried to re-start it. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Post #859933 5th Oct 2020 4:54pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
CHT cuts in before the temp gauge moves and yes it works by cutting the fuel supply giving the impression of fuel starvation. Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #859946 5th Oct 2020 5:42pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Thumbs Up 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #859947 5th Oct 2020 5:46pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
If it was due to coolant being low, and no obvious leaks around rad hoses etc, check the heater control valve at the top of the bulkhead on the near side. If faulty when switched to hot and the engine is at temperature you can get a few drips from the valve that will reduce coolant over time. While on cold during the summer it won’t drip. So it’s hard to spot as you don’t get a pool of coolant under the truck to point to the leakage location.

Re topping up coolant. If it’s the original orange coolant you can get a litre of concentrate from the dealers, then get some deionised water from your local supermarket, it’s real cheap from them as people use it in irons. It’s not the cheapest option from the dealers but you do know it will be compatible with what’s in there already if it’s not been changed before or if it was changed by a dealer.
Post #859954 5th Oct 2020 5:57pm
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Is your passenger or driver's footwell wet? Maybe it's a leaking heater core. Coupled with the recirculating valve, this can lead to coolant loss even without leaving puddles under the truck. If all your engine cooling system hoses are OK, then the recirculating valve and heater core should be your next suspects
Post #860014 6th Oct 2020 4:20am
tdfan

Thank you for all the input. Just an update- The coolant leak was traced to the EGR cooler. It has been running fine ever since, no repeat . No fault codes showing when it went to the garage for checking over, so still a bit of a mystery as to what happened last week.
Post #860914 10th Oct 2020 10:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1