Home > Td5 > Generic Stage 1 or 2 remap
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Mapping
Hello,

My advice would be to call the various suppliers and have a chat with the various providers of tuning services- describe exactly what you want to achieve and then see what their response is.

In terms of the 'generic' maps......they are about, but in reality any tuner is going to start with a 'base' map and then alter to your requirements, its no different to setting up any instrumentation or machinery.

I have personally had excellent service from Dan at Storm Tuning- both with tuning and also supply/repair of ECU's

There are few different ways to map ECU's- some are better for the longevity of the engine than others, some give a better driving experience than others.

I have driven various TD5s mapped by a few different providers and I find that the Storm map has given the best overall driving experience of the ones I have driven.

Incidentally, I was driving a 110 TD5 earlier this week that had been breathed on by another fairly well known tuning firm (not getting into a slagging match) upgraded turbo and various other bits and whilst it was fairly quick- the power delivery was absolutely awful and made it quite difficult to drive in very slippery conditions- also it smoked very heavily which does raise concerns regarding high EGTs for me.

Regards

Chris
Post #858204 26th Sep 2020 11:32am
achuakh

Singapore 2002 Defender 90 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
you can't get something for nothing. if you don't do anything to increase the air flow into the engine, then dumping more fuel into the cylinders won't make it suddenly fly.

if you don't change any hardware then what you are really doing is trying to optimise the amount of fuel with respect to the air volume that's coming in. Remembering that the more fuel and air you can dump in, the bigger the explosion in the cylinder. this of course is easier said than done. Hence if you live in place that's hot, you will realise that the car seems more "alive" on a cooler day.

hence, if you are getting a remap by post, it's more likely a more conservative map rather than an optimised map. sure, doing multiple dyno runs is time consuming and there's shop rentals and operational overhead, but that's the only way to really optimise and squeeze all the performance out of the engine without it smoking like crazy. as the injectors wear out with age, then you might need to revisit to update the map, like wise when you change new injectors.

the statement "no smoke, no poke" is not true, it's smokes because there's too much fuel in the mixture or too little air in there. you do feel a slight performance increase over the stock map still, cos there's allowance in the original map for a tad more fuel to the current air amount.

LR has made the map so that it will run with bad fuel in really hot conditions with respect to the market or country's homologation for emission. they can't tune each vehicle individually, but do a generic map which is conservative that it works good enough for the above conditions.

the opposite is true if you drop in a VGT and expect it to fly without doing anything, it's just getting in more air, it burns lean, hence no black smoke, but then you get no additional power as you haven't increased the fuel per stroke.

dropping in a large intercooler with a standard turbo usually sees a light drop in performance in the lower rpm bands as now the air flow required to fill the intercooler is greater, but the air cools more.

we can continue to debate on and on about which commercial tuner does a better job, so if you really want to spend the money, do it properly or don't do it. you get what you pay for. The last option is read up on it and really spend the time doing it yourself.

my usual disclaimer is that i'm not a professional tuner and what i have written is from my own experience and stuff that's floating around on the internet. From the land of the most expensive land rover defenders on planet earth. At �125k for a XS 110 csw and you get to own it only for 10yrs! Please find me a good reason to stay on this island.
Post #858209 26th Sep 2020 11:45am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
bankz5152 wrote:
Not hiding im an Empire Agent at all, its posted in the dealer section (I will be more clear from now on) As I said its from personal experience. Anyone that knows me or my car knows I go for the best which is why I first went with Jose. After several issues mainly down to contact/customer service/hardware issues I grew very tired of waiting, especially as I drive my 110 daily and need it running tip top every day and it was off the road for a week due to map sensor issue. This took 2 weeks to resolve and even then wasnt 100%. I had a similar issue after a few months with Empire and was resolved within 36 hours.

I decided to move to Empire after my mates Empire D2 (std turbo, Airtec IC) beat me by quite a way in a race, at the time my 110 was Inside tuned, CR Hyrbid, allisport IC, big air intake and all the rest. By all accounts should have thrashed him but could barely keep up!

I can also say (before being an Empire Agent) that my 110 was faster, less smokey, better mpg and had a much better torque curve under the same set up. The difference was unreal and what I actually expected.

He may have proved himself in racing which is great n all but when you have an issue with your daily what do you want? Potentially waiting for a few weeks for a reply or instant support?

I try to be as clear as possible when posting on behalf on Empire, however in this case I was posting as a customer of both companies and not as am Empire Agent.

@jst sorry that Empire came across that way, if youd like you can send me a PM and I can find out why.

Presumably you now have all the Empire bells and whistles now. Have you had yours on the dyno? It would be great to see a printout. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #858257 26th Sep 2020 4:53pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Prototype VNT + mapping and a fair few other mods to help.

Not yet, havnt been able to get the time off work when Gareth is free but we are trying! Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #858265 26th Sep 2020 5:34pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Nice. Look forward to seeing the numbers. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #858267 26th Sep 2020 5:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12