Home > Td5 > Generic Stage 1 or 2 remap
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
NIBrown

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 2.5 TD CSW Epsom Green
Generic Stage 1 or 2 remap
Hi Guys,

Now on my 3rd Defender and this is my second TD5.
Had my last one remapped by BAS, but it was just done by post and seemed very expensive for such a simple job that didn't even include a rolling road or any fine tuning.
Don't get me wrong, the result was good, but I don't know whether it was any better than a really cheap generic remap that you can get for less than £200!

Does anyone know of any remaps available for a reasonable price that can be had by posting your ECU to them?

Or, alternatively, I did purchase a lead to connect to the laptop, just need to download the software, then I understand that I could load up my own map purchased from e.g. ebay??

Recently had my Audi A2 remapped by an A2 forum member for just £35 incl postage, difference is night and day and can't really see the point in spending hundreds of pounds when something like this may do the trick?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated Thumbs Up

Nick
Post #857875 24th Sep 2020 2:51pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
As I work for an online store, with the amount of stuff that 'goes missing', I would NEVER send my ECU by carrier etc!

Good luck with that Shocked
Post #857877 24th Sep 2020 3:18pm
Lwb97

Wales 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
To be honest any remap should make a improvement over the standard mapping just how much of an improvement depends on the tuner. My preference is Alive tuning. Gary really knows the td5 and it shows in the way they move after. One thing I’ve found with cheaper maps is the delivery of power isn’t smooth. There’s nothing low down then around 2000 rpm they come to life and then die off again, I know it may not be the case with all but just saying what I’ve seen.
Post #857901 24th Sep 2020 5:06pm
NIBrown

So, would I buy their ATRIC tool with software pre-loaded and do it myself for £395? or am I misunderstanding their website?

Otherwise Alive are a long drive away for me in Carmarthenshire Shocked

Advice much appreciated Thumbs Up
Post #857904 24th Sep 2020 5:35pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Jose @ Td5inside started doing ECU's by post during lockdown. In your budget and arguably the best for Td5's. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #857907 24th Sep 2020 5:44pm
NIBrown

Do they have a website and are they in the UK do you know?

If you have any contact details, that would be great?
Post #857917 24th Sep 2020 6:29pm
Defender SVX

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Santorini Black
NIBrown wrote:
So, would I buy their ATRIC tool with software pre-loaded and do it myself for £395? or am I misunderstanding their website?

You would connect the Atric tool to your Defender and upload the mapping then email the file to Alive who then tweak to your requirements.
Post #857922 24th Sep 2020 6:38pm
Zed

Based in Portugal but travels all over to do maps. Have a look on Facebook, Instagram etc. Best to email. info@td5inside.com WARNING.
Post #857924 24th Sep 2020 6:39pm
Lwb97

Wales 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
NIBrown wrote:

Worth contacting Alive as they have agents all over the country. Or you could read the map file off if you know someone with a nanocom (aslong as it’s a NNN ecu) and email it or post the ecu.
Post #857969 24th Sep 2020 9:20pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Zed wrote:
Based in Portugal but travels all over to do maps. Have a look on Facebook, Instagram etc. Best to email. info@td5inside.com

If you ever get a reply that is... Inside are far from the best, which is from my personal experience over the years. I had a few issues with Jose whoch lead me to being retuned by Empire, couldnt be happier now.

Generic maps are just that, generic. They arnt suited to your car, your engine or any mods you have and 99% of the time they just dump fuel which leads to high EGTs, heavy smoke, poor MPG and damaged pistons in the worst case. They also tend to have quite irratic torque curves, feeling fast up to around 3.5k revs then the power drops off a cliff.

Send Empire tuning a message. Can be done via post with a 48hr turnaround or there could be an agent in your area that can remap for you. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #858012 25th Sep 2020 6:11am
BaronDefenders

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Santorini Black
Without sparking a small scale armed conflict, I’m another vote for Td5INSIDE. You will end up waiting a while to hear back from José, unless you’re lucky. So if you want that remap fix ASAP, go elsewhere. However, if you do wait, you won’t be disappointed. Charlie

1949 Series 1 80 (SOLD)
2002 Td5 90 (SOLD)
2008 Freelander 2 (SOLD)

1958 Series 2 88 Pastel Green (2019 LR Legends Best Restored)
1983 V8 110 Limestone (Previously owned by Tom Sheppard MBE)
2004 Td5 90 Santorini Black (Td5INSIDE Powered & Rebuilt by CSK)
2012 Puma 110 Zermatt Silver (Overlanding Build)

Instagram: @BaronDefenders
Post #858026 25th Sep 2020 7:35am
Zed

Jose can be hard to get hold of, as can Ian at IRB or receiving stuff from Allisport or Exmoor trim but many would say they are worth the wait.

As for "Inside being far from best" I strongly disagree. Jose's competition record and loyal customer base speaks for itself. His maps are tailored to the customers needs and he doesn't stop until you are happy. If you're not then he'll return it to standard at no charge. Also most importantly for the OP it fits his £200 budget. If he had a Puma and/or was willing to spend more I would have also suggested Pete Bell and IRB. How much do you charge at Empire? WARNING.

Last edited by Zed on 25th Sep 2020 11:18am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #858027 25th Sep 2020 7:38am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
J e Engineering are another to consider. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #858040 25th Sep 2020 8:44am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
bankz5152 wrote:

If you ever get a reply that is... Inside are far from the best, which is from my personal experience over the years. I had a few issues with Jose whoch lead me to being retuned by Empire, couldnt be happier now.

Send Empire tuning a message. Can be done via post with a 48hr turnaround or there could be an agent in your area that can remap for you.

I also disagree. Jose product has proved itself many a time, especially in the competition world.

As we have started knocking other suppliers, for my part Empire failed the attitude test when i enquired.

Bankz - i feel you should highlight your a dealer/distributer/have links for empire on something like this post or stay out of it to maintain the integrity of this forum. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #858044 25th Sep 2020 8:55am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Not hiding im an Empire Agent at all, its posted in the dealer section (I will be more clear from now on) As I said its from personal experience. Anyone that knows me or my car knows I go for the best which is why I first went with Jose. After several issues mainly down to contact/customer service/hardware issues I grew very tired of waiting, especially as I drive my 110 daily and need it running tip top every day and it was off the road for a week due to map sensor issue. This took 2 weeks to resolve and even then wasnt 100%. I had a similar issue after a few months with Empire and was resolved within 36 hours.

I decided to move to Empire after my mates Empire D2 (std turbo, Airtec IC) beat me by quite a way in a race, at the time my 110 was Inside tuned, CR Hyrbid, allisport IC, big air intake and all the rest. By all accounts should have thrashed him but could barely keep up!

I can also say (before being an Empire Agent) that my 110 was faster, less smokey, better mpg and had a much better torque curve under the same set up. The difference was unreal and what I actually expected.

He may have proved himself in racing which is great n all but when you have an issue with your daily what do you want? Potentially waiting for a few weeks for a reply or instant support?

I try to be as clear as possible when posting on behalf on Empire, however in this case I was posting as a customer of both companies and not as am Empire Agent.

@jst sorry that Empire came across that way, if youd like you can send me a PM and I can find out why. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #858163 25th Sep 2020 10:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>