↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Excess Chuff? (Possible high engine crank case pressure)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
The oil is leaking out of the plastic fuel pump cover on the front of the engine, just behind the fan and serpentine belt. But that in itself isn't the problem, it's a build up of pressure behind the cover that's venting out of that opening. If I take off the engine breather pipe and block the rocker cover hole with my thumb (with the engine running), air and oil leaks out of the fuel pump cover. So the problem is excess pressure or, a failure to vent the engine pressure correctly. One mechanic today said to look into the venting system but I don't think there's anything in that as there isn't a valve in the rocker cover.
Post #854978 8th Sep 2020 3:24pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The symptoms evident in the video are fairly unmistakable, for some reason combustion gasses are escaping from the cylinders into the crankcase. There are two common causes for this, one is that the bores/pistons/piston rings are excessively worn, the other is that the injector seals are leaking. It is (as noted by earlier posters) more likely that the injector seals are leaking, and this is also a cheap and easy repair. Worn bores/pistons is neither cheap nor easy.

There is no valve in the vent pipe from the rocker cover to the inlet duct, and when the engine is running there is a partial vacuum in the inlet duct which will scavenge the gases from the rocker box and prevent a build up of pressure. When you remove the oil filler the gases will vent as you have filmed, if you take off the vent pipe and stick your thumb on the hole then the gases will vent anywhere that they can (which makes doing this not a terribly good idea).

I've never actually removed my oil filler with the engine running because it would probably look like yours and just give me one more thing to worry about, so I can't comment on the volume of yuk but it does look on the generous side. The main downside of this discharge is that it is passing through the turbo and back into the engine, and it isn't really the sort of thing you want in either place (oil, water, slightly corrosive gas, soot, etc), although there will always be a certain amount of this happening. It is the reason why several of use have fitted Provent filters on the breather circuit, which filter out the gunk from the breather gases before they get back into the inlet duct and turbo.

I would be inclined to replace the injector seals (as suggested in the earlier posts) not forgetting to replace the non-reusable stretch bolts and see how much of a difference it makes. If you are lucky it will be significant.
Post #854983 8th Sep 2020 3:57pm
AndyS

Thanks for the reply. I don't believe it's piston rings as the engine runs fine, starts fine and makes good power and has only done 65k miles. I know that's not proof of anything but better to start with the easier possible fix. I'll order in the bits. Thanks again. Thumbs Up

Looks like I have my first project!
Post #854985 8th Sep 2020 4:07pm
AndyS

Hurrah, finally I've found a company who said "yeah, it's a known problem" which is a huge relief. I trust you people because you're more immersed into it than the regular mechanic but I also needed to find a mechanic who knew it was a known problem. I thought about doing it myself but by the time I order the tools it becomes marginal as to if it's financially viable (and I know you still own the tools after but some of the special spanner things are a bit unique and I've not needed a low torque torque wrench until now) and when the injectors are close to £500 each it's a bit of a worry for someone who managed to snap the bolt on a clutch puller.

Anyway, I found someone and just by way of tidying up the thread (for future searches) they're First Injection Diesel in Thornton Heath and they said to order these parts before booking it in...

LR004662 - copper washer x 4 needed
LR019168 - stretch bolt x 2 needed
LR045393 - injector O ring x 4 needed
LR004483 - Cover washer x 2 needed
LR019663 - Retainer Oil Seal x 4 needed <-- £42 each from Ford!!!

I don't know why he wanted cover washers but he asked for them (I think, hopefully I got the right part there) so he got them. Cost just shy of £320 (OMG) for the parts from LR Direct and Ford. I'll let you know how the actual repair goes. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

(Edit to add another part, 2nd edit for price)

Last edited by AndyS on 24th Sep 2020 3:37pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #855159 9th Sep 2020 12:36pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Light at the end of the tunnel at last. Looking forward to hearing the outcome...positive I hope. Thumbs Up 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #855176 9th Sep 2020 2:45pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yeah don't forget to give us a chuff comparison! > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #855196 9th Sep 2020 4:16pm
Fernando

Argentina 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Bonatti Grey
Hello AndyS, can you comment on how the work turned out?
I think I am with the same problem.
Regards
Post #857189 21st Sep 2020 11:38am
hank

This thread led me to redo mine... Details here should you be interested

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic53240-120.html > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #857207 21st Sep 2020 1:18pm
AndyS

Fernando wrote:
Hello AndyS, can you comment on how the work turned out?
I think I am with the same problem.
Regards

It's in today and he's called already and said I hadn't supplied the rubber gasket for the rocker cover "which is where it's actually leaking from" so sounds positive, I've added the part to the list above, just so it's a complete list for future searches. I'll let you know how it goes, hopefully it'll be done today but it depends on if he can get the bits in time.

(This problem began in this thread, a long time ago! https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic70364.html )
Post #857581 23rd Sep 2020 10:16am
AndyS

Here it is, Chuff Update!

New video for after replacing injector oil seals (all of them; top, middle and bottom). Chap said three of the four were leaking which was creating positive engine case pressure and pushing oil out of the fuel pump cover. The difference between this and the past video (linked to below the new one) is amazing, totally obvious now I can compare the before and after.

After: https://youtu.be/RiBMOg_a6mQ

Before: https://youtu.be/22ZstZ6h3bk

There is some bad news, the seal between the injector and the rocker cover cost £42 each from Ford. I'm sure you could get them cheaper online somewhere but I didn't supply them so they had to get them ASAP to complete the job and give my car back. Total for the repair was £540 all in. Expensive for a bunch of gaskets and washers but it's the first issue in nine years so not bad really. I think the next job is to change the oil, I'm sure it's 80% carbon!

Thanks for the help everyone, you were on to it ages ago. I should have listened.
Post #857882 24th Sep 2020 3:28pm
hank

Wow the difference is incredible!! Glad you got the outcome you wanted Thumbs Up > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #857886 24th Sep 2020 3:41pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That is very impressive, what a result! Thumbs Up
Post #857888 24th Sep 2020 3:47pm
Fernando

Argentina 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Bonatti Grey
What a difference !!!! Your soul returned to your body Very Happy
Post #857893 24th Sep 2020 4:09pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Wonderfull result Thumbs Up . Don't you just love it when it turns out to be something simple that can be sorted very easily? This will be of benefit to others on this site in the future. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #857894 24th Sep 2020 4:28pm
Willfindlay

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Arles Blue
My 2.4 seems to be leaking in the same place, but when I take the oil filler cap off there is hardly any ‘chuff’ would this meant it could just be the cover?
Post #901056 2nd May 2021 2:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12