↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Question for caravan towers - diesel soot
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Thon

United Kingdom 
X4SKP wrote:
Hello Thon

Yes it looks like the van is in the direct line of flow, so your suggestions sound logical
I'd try the 'down and out pipe' idea initially.

Our 90 with it's side out biased pipes hasn't suffered the same and is a visual non-smoker.

Click image to enlarge

Good Luck

Thanks Skip for your advice. Thumbs Up
Post #857325 21st Sep 2020 10:48pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
Re: Question for caravan towers - diesel soot
hank wrote:
Thon wrote:

Is this normal and if so has anyone done anything to reduce it? I'm thinking of the following ideas: -

1. Using a "bikini" cover on the front of the 'van during transit
2. Adding an exhaust tip to point the outlet downwards / sideways
3. Nearside wheel arch side exhaust outlet
4. Use my other tow car which has a DPF .....

All four options are fine, but none address the root cause. I feel like a bit of a broken record at the moment, but mine was smoking a bit under load and left a soot mark on the front of my trailer which I had dismissed as being remap related as tuned diesels do tend to smoke a bit, but actually now that I've done the injector seals it doesn't smoke whatsoever!

I don't know why exactly, perhaps a sensor was picking something up and the ECU was adding extra fuel to compensate or something? Or the excess crankcase pressure was blowing oil into the intake and generating smoke? Not sure but either way could be something to look into. Have a look here https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic74338.html

It meets the MOT emissions standard, and is on a standard map, injectors re-learned, etc. It does produce some smoke under maximum load but it's not excessive, as far as one can tell visually without a smoke opacity meter. I'm due to service it fully in November so i'll see about changing the seals at the same time. Thanks.
Post #857326 21st Sep 2020 10:52pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
LR90XS2011 wrote:
started towing a van last year with my 2.4 90 not seen any evidence of this, but on the 90 the exhaust is pointed out to the passenger side

The side-pipes seem to make a difference - probably worth trying too - thanks !
Post #857328 21st Sep 2020 10:53pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
hank wrote:
You can see mine smoking while towing here... Will have to get an 'after' video for comparison next time I tow!

Time for me to borrow a go-pro methinks ....
Post #857329 21st Sep 2020 10:56pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
Fat Cog wrote:
A good illustration why Derv vehicles are being banned...I'm at pains to admit this but it's hard to argue against, especially if you live in a city.

I wouldn't argue either, but it does still run a cat and EGR so it is operating as the manufacturer and legislation at that time deemed fit, and rarely finds itself in cities.
Post #857331 21st Sep 2020 11:02pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
VVS210 wrote:
Rashers wrote:
The answer is a Petrol V8 Rolling with laughter

Good luck towing with that. I would be bankrupt by the time I got to the camp site Rolling with laughter

My first Land Rover was a V8 Hi-cap which was used for towing a heavy exhibition unit, it regularly returned single figure mpg...

But apparently petrol is now the lesser of the two evils as a friend of mine in London discovered after having to replace their D4 SdV6 with dpf etc wi a 5.0l SC Range Rover so they can drive in the ULEZ... Whistle

My second Defender was an early 110 SW with 3.5 V8 on carbs. 8-12 mpg was a little too thirsty for my wallet as my only vehicle ....
Post #857332 21st Sep 2020 11:05pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
90 Dreamer wrote:
Far more likely you have some sort of issue ......

It has been checked and no fault found, and passes the emissions tests.

I will be looking at injector seals in November but if the Tecalemit opacity meter says it's OK, i'd trust that more than seeing the smoke residue displayed like that when normally you would never see the result of what is produced from the exhaust.
Post #857333 21st Sep 2020 11:09pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
When I towed with my 300tdi D1 I used to soot up the front corner of the van but not as bad as that. Fenwicks caravan cleaner cleaned it well but I eventually bought a sports exhaust with a side exit purely to avoid this happening. Towing with the 90 with the exhaust pointing out to the side (as nature and Land Rover intended) I never had any issues. Since sold the ‘van and bought a motorhome so no issues at all now.
Post #857335 21st Sep 2020 11:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12