↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > P300 Performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

I would imagine most will be PCP or leased, I bought my New Defender outright, it’s the first car I have purchased outright since I started driving in the early 1980’s, intending it to possibly be my “last” car having just retired. My pension lump sum financed the car but has left me quite sufficient money to add toys to it as I go along or even to sell it at 3 years old and buy something greener/cheaper/sportier if I want. I also still have a 1996 90 TDi 300 on my drive too. The problem will come in 2023........ sell the new one for an EV or sell the old one and reduce to one car. I’m single so don’t have to share my cars with anyone, can buy what I like without reference to anyone other possibly than to the bank manager and I own my own house. Now I’ve seen the prices if the PHEV I am in most respects (only downer is the release of the 6 pot engines) glad that I didn’t wait longer before buying my First Edition. My original deposit put down in 2018 was for a 90 PHEV. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #855962 14th Sep 2020 11:43am
StructuralDefect

United States 
AT1963 wrote:
Just don't get it with the prices.
I earn good money, own my own home and do not have Hugh money outgoings but i cannot afford a new Defender, let alone the PHEV one.
So, am i missing the plot here or is it that i need to double my income to be in a position to buy such vehicles?
I always remember being told that you should probably not buy a car that exceeds your annual income. Wise words but it seems that people have Hugh disposable incomes to consider such purchases Shocked

I will share my story. I never thought I would spend this much on a vehicle let alone a brand new one. I specced it at 65k and spent all of 2020 saving. I sold my camper, golf cart, other car and saved that money. I threw in some yearly bonus money, Trump stimulus money and tax return. I started putting the amount my payment was going to to be into a savings each month. When I went to buy I had 30k to put down and after 4300 in tax I was left financing 40k over 6 years at 2.29% for a total payment of 600 a month. It was not an easy decision to throw all that money at a car. I have gone years without a car payment. I am hoping to retire in 6 to 7 years so my hope is to baby this thing and keep it forever. We shall see. Yes it is crazy to spend this much on a car but I tried to make it as manageable as possible. Totally get where you are coming from. 2020 Defender S, P300 in Fuji White w/black ext. pack. Ebony leather heated front/rear seats. Comfort & conv. pack. Towing pack. Cold climate pack. Panoramic roof & expedition roof rack. Classic mud flaps. Fog lights. 19 inch 6 spoke w/off road tires. Clear sight rear view mirror. Sirius XM. Delivery 9/4/20
Post #855985 14th Sep 2020 1:51pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
I too retired 2 years ago and used 25% of pension to pay off the mortgage. However, due to being in NHS (i was 55 when i retired) i now work 18hrs a week for NHS and it pays me well.
Trouble is i struggle to get the thought of £80k to buy a vehicle that will probably be obsolete in a few years as we hurtle towards doom...sorry, environmental issues that would be sorted by;

1. get rid of non-reusable plastics
2.less frequent air travel
3.not destroying Hugh forested areas for beef production
4. generally eat less meat
5. plant more trees

so the thought of £80k for an EV which will still need taxing and production and disposal of dirty components is terrible and another way of skinning joe public by convincing them that this is the way to save the world and their contribution is to give much more of their hard earned cash to simply another conglomerate company who will be rubbing their hands together (along with energy companies) at the thought of all this profit for a vehicle that is not as clean as they are making out!!

Ok, i realise this is probably the ranting of a madman but thank goodness insanity can be treated Rolling with laughter
Post #855992 14th Sep 2020 2:10pm
Haribo08

United Kingdom 
Defdan wrote:
The slowness pulling away might be due to throttle settings which are set for off-roading so the first inch or so of pedal travel only produces a slight increase in engine speed.

I thought that would only happen if TR is set to one of the off road modes ? I can remember this being the case with my FL2.

Has anyone driven both a P300 and D240 ?
Post #855997 14th Sep 2020 2:33pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
AT1963 wrote:
I earn good money, own my own home and do not have Hugh money outgoings but i cannot afford a new Defender, let alone the PHEV one.
So, am i missing the plot here or is it that i need to double my income to be in a position to buy such vehicles?
I always remember being told that you should probably not buy a car that exceeds your annual income. Wise words but it seems that people have Hugh disposable incomes to consider such purchases Shocked

welcome to the wonderful world of neoliberal capitalism Rolling with laughter --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #856015 14th Sep 2020 4:05pm
oop north

United Kingdom 
Supacat wrote:
oop north wrote:
I nearly feel off my chair reading an article in Car Magazine the other day as an article about Sir Ralph Speth quoted him as saying the first all electric Land Rover is great - what? The product that doesn’t exist according to Land Rover sales bods? That one? Just a one line mention with no details Rolling Eyes

Was he talking about the "new" Road Rover - it's been in the pipeline for several years...

I know about the Road Rover yes. Don’t know if that’s what he’s referring to - but probably not for me. Likely a bit outside my budget - am guessing more than £100k
Post #856087 14th Sep 2020 9:52pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Naks wrote:
AT1963 wrote:

welcome to the wonderful world of neoliberal capitalism Rolling with laughter

Or just PCPs and how many people are financially illiterate and get sucked in by "it's only £x per month".
Post #856128 15th Sep 2020 9:14am
heyyall123

United States 
Defender P300
I wanted to see how the 2020-23 defender's 110 P300 engines are holding up? Are your owners satisfied with your purchases? Any issues to report how was your towing, offroad or general daily use with this specification? Thank you for your feedback!
Post #947074 26th Mar 2022 9:59am
martinf

United Kingdom 
I have a 110 P300 HSE used for towing horses, picking up on a shoot and various bits of running around plus some longer journeys and have been very pleased with it. I did not want another diesel as we do lots of short journeys and my previous diesel, an L405, was a pain over oil dilution requiring frequent servicing.

I feel I have made the right choice
Post #947087 26th Mar 2022 11:55am
heyyall123

United States 
thank you for that! what about the km or miles on the motor? Any issues you had with hesitation or any oil consumption or anything?
Post #947089 26th Mar 2022 12:06pm
ESU 876

United Kingdom 
I've had a 90HSE P300 since Nov 21.
Very pleased with it, just about got used to a petrol engine after 30yrs of diesel Discos (D1 to D5). The response is virtually immediate (apart from the stop/start), pulls away really well with no hesitation at all. It can also lift it's skirt up very impressively when asked. Just don't let it slog in a high gear.
It's still a heavy vehicle and a 2 litre engine so consumption suffers. I'm getting 20 - 25 mpg on the on-board computer. Hey, it's petrol, it's fun and I love it!
Neil
Post #947182 27th Mar 2022 1:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12