↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > P300 Performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
StructuralDefect

United States 
P300 Performance
I have had my Defender for a week now so I thought I would chime in on the 4 cylinder P300 engine. It was my biggest fear when I ordered as it just felt wrong for a 4 cylinder to be sufficient for such a large vehicle. I am very happy with it though. It will get up and go when needed. Obviously it sounds like a 4 banger at idle which sounds wimpy compared to the V8 in our QX56. I had a price point I needed to be at and other options I wasn't going to live without so the only way was the P300. I am here to say, don't sleep on the P300. Its 296 HP is more than adequate and this lil motor will likely surprise you if you aren't familiar with it. 2020 Defender S, P300 in Fuji White w/black ext. pack. Ebony leather heated front/rear seats. Comfort & conv. pack. Towing pack. Cold climate pack. Panoramic roof & expedition roof rack. Classic mud flaps. Fog lights. 19 inch 6 spoke w/off road tires. Clear sight rear view mirror. Sirius XM. Delivery 9/4/20
Post #855807 13th Sep 2020 2:36pm
Tim in Scotland

I’m pleased you are enjoying it, one of the problems for folks in Europe is that we are so used to big SUV’s having torquey diesels that sip fuel. Petrol engines in SUV’s have until recently only been for folks with seriously deep wallets because here the fuel price to fuel a gasoline engine is enough to break your bank account. I’ve returned to a diesel after running a plug in hybrid Mini Countryman for 2 years, it was a brilliant car and until recently it looked like LR wasn’t working too hard to get the PHEV Defender actually into production, had I been patient enough I might have delayed ordering my diesel as I originally had a reservation on a PHEV 90. I’m very happy with the D240 diesel lump though and with a 550 miles range on a tank full of diesel I’m not too friendly with the local garage! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 13th Sep 2020 3:12pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #855811 13th Sep 2020 3:06pm
J77

Scotland 
I’m in a similar situation but with the diesel, I’ll get the new 6 cylinder but the D200 is where I’m at.
Post #855812 13th Sep 2020 3:08pm
Lightwater

Australia 
Re: P300 Performance
StructuralDefect wrote:
I am here to say, don't sleep on the P300. Its 296 HP is more than adequate and this lil motor will likely surprise you if you aren't familiar with it.

I have a Freelander with the a petrol 2.0L 177kW 340Nm engine. We mostly use the car for traveling around Australia with maximum payload, gross 2.505t. The car also had larger tyres so torque has been reduced.

It is a jem of an engine, there are no issues off road or on sand. I use high octane fuel as I get longer range. The extra cost of the fuel is equal to the extra km.

The P300 221kW engine is "adequate" like 177kW is in my car, as a well known brand says!

I've had the petrol engine for 6 years & would not want a diesel. Visitor - Freelander owner
Post #855902 13th Sep 2020 11:48pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
It’s a shame the price difference with the PHEV. That buys an awful lot of diesel and makes it entirely worthless to someone who doesn’t live in the ULEZ. They themselves could probably buy a diesel and pay the London charge and still come out on top. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #855913 14th Sep 2020 7:52am
oop north

United Kingdom 
Agreed - the extra £20k for a PHEV over base 200 renders it entirely pointless. To me anyway - the company car bik with 70-odd g per km and less than 30 miles EV range means it’s not really worth having through the business
Post #855923 14th Sep 2020 8:55am
Tim in Scotland

Having run a PHEV with similar WLTP range as the P400e’s 27 miles for two years before getting the new car, that is NOT what you will get in the real world, more like you’ll be seeing 20 miles in mild weather and 14-16 miles in the depths of winter. Makes the car a waste of money with such a huge price differential to the MHEV’s and plain ICE models and in this day and age There are way better PHEV cars. BMW’s latest X5 PHEV has a real world range of 42 miles on 50 miles WLTP but also has a very efficient 6 cylinder diesel for when the volts run out from a similar size and weight of car. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #855925 14th Sep 2020 9:06am
oop north

United Kingdom 
I didn’t want to mention the X5 on here Smile are the 27 mile range someone with a Range Rover PHEV told me off for claiming it would only achieve 20 miles at best as he regularly achieved 27 miles in his. I nearly feel off my chair reading an article in Car Magazine the other day as an article about Sir Ralph Speth quoted him as saying the first all electric Land Rover is great - what? The product that doesn’t exist according to Land Rover sales bods? That one? Just a one line mention with no details Rolling Eyes Anyway on the BMW front the all electric ix4 looks more interesting to me (at least from a tax perspective). Really I want a Land Rover EV though Please Land Rover Big Cry
Post #855928 14th Sep 2020 9:14am
Tim in Scotland

I’ve just specced up the nearest PHEV version I can to my new obsolete First Edition and with all the kit that came with.
Nearest equivalent is the X-HSE P400e + the options I have and it comes out at exactly £20000 more expensive - I paid £61150 and the PHEV comes out at £81143............ not a great incentive for the private buyer to go a little bit greener

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #855930 14th Sep 2020 9:27am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
oop north wrote:
I nearly feel off my chair reading an article in Car Magazine the other day as an article about Sir Ralph Speth quoted him as saying the first all electric Land Rover is great - what? The product that doesn’t exist according to Land Rover sales bods? That one? Just a one line mention with no details Rolling Eyes

Was he talking about the "new" Road Rover - it's been in the pipeline for several years...
Post #855932 14th Sep 2020 9:33am
LRSpain004

Spain 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
I’ve just specced up the nearest PHEV version I can to my new obsolete First Edition and with all the kit that came with.
Nearest equivalent is the X-HSE P400e + the options I have and it comes out at exactly £20000 more expensive - I paid £61150 and the PHEV comes out at £81143............ not a great incentive for the private buyer to go a little bit greener

Click image to enlarge

Rolling with laughter what an absolute joke of a price for 27 miles (on paper) of electric power. You would want a fully electric for that price.
Post #855947 14th Sep 2020 10:40am
Defdan

Scotland 
Or a good used FFRR P400e
Post #855949 14th Sep 2020 10:45am
Haribo08

United Kingdom 
Re: P300 Performance
StructuralDefect wrote:
I have had my Defender for a week now so I thought I would chime in on the 4 cylinder P300 engine. It was my biggest fear when I ordered as it just felt wrong for a 4 cylinder to be sufficient for such a large vehicle. I am very happy with it though. It will get up and go when needed. Obviously it sounds like a 4 banger at idle which sounds wimpy compared to the V8 in our QX56. I had a price point I needed to be at and other options I wasn't going to live without so the only way was the P300. I am here to say, don't sleep on the P300. Its 296 HP is more than adequate and this lil motor will likely surprise you if you aren't familiar with it.

Thanks for sharing your P300 experience, I am looking forward to trying a P300 90. I tried a D240 110 and found a bit slow to pick up when pulling away.There appeared be a delay between hitting the pedal and anything happening. I am hoping the petrol is more responsive just a bit worried about mpg vs diesel.
Post #855953 14th Sep 2020 11:11am
Defdan

Scotland 
The slowness pulling away might be due to throttle settings which are set for off-roading so the first inch or so of pedal travel only produces a slight increase in engine speed.
Post #855955 14th Sep 2020 11:17am
AT1963

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Just don't get it with the prices.
I earn good money, own my own home and do not have Hugh money outgoings but i cannot afford a new Defender, let alone the PHEV one.
So, am i missing the plot here or is it that i need to double my income to be in a position to buy such vehicles?
I always remember being told that you should probably not buy a car that exceeds your annual income. Wise words but it seems that people have Hugh disposable incomes to consider such purchases Shocked
Post #855958 14th Sep 2020 11:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>