↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > 10AS alarm/immobiliser question. Any experts please?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
10AS alarm/immobiliser question. Any experts please?
I've just bought a late model 300tDi Disco 1 with what looks to be a 10AS style two button fob which locks and unlocks the vehicle and sets the alarm. It looks the same fob as the ones I had with my TD5 and Puma Defenders.
I had a spare key cut in Timpson's today and they confirmed that there was no transponder in the key.

Am I right in thinking that the buttons just trigger the lock/unlock central locking and alarm system, but the immobiliser is based on the key fob being in close proximity to the ignition switch? Or is the immobiliser also linked to the pressing of the lock and unlock buttons?

It is an old vehicle that will only be used off road at a sailing club to tow dinghies around. So we don't want to spend money on an extra 2 button fob and programming. My thinking is that if the immobiliser is proximity based, I can cable tie the fob inside the steering column and just use the key to lock/unlock/start the vehicle.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Post #853648 1st Sep 2020 6:15pm
dailysleaze

United Kingdom 
Yes the buttons are for the alarm and the fob for the immobiliser. In practice I never set the alarm (by using the buttons), although I think one does have a bearing on the other, but the fob proximity alone allows starting the vehicle.

The fob will run out of battery within 2 years, which having it accessible might be helpful to change. Otherwise you could get the 10AS programmed to turn the immobiliser off.

(Presuming of course the Disco is the same as the Defender)
Post #853649 1st Sep 2020 6:20pm
lohr500

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to experiment this weekend by leaving the fob close to the ignition barrel and then locking/unlocking/starting the vehicle with the key. Given the vehicle use, I'd prefer not to have the fob on a key ring anyway as someone is bound to drop it in the reservoir at some point!!!
Post #853664 1st Sep 2020 7:24pm
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
There is a coil that wraps around the ignition barrel and this picks up a signal (they call it passive immobilisation) from the key fob when it's close enough (basically it needs to be on the keyring, not just inside the vehicle). Not quite sure what the technology is but that's how it works.

Points to consider which apply to most vehicles of this age

- You can lock it with the key but you still need to unlock it with the fob or the alarm will go off
- However, locking it with the key disables the interior sensor e.g. if you leave a dog in the car
- The immob is disarmed EITHER with it being on the keyring (passive) OR if you press the unlock button and turn the key on fairly quickly - but you do need the key fob

My father has a June 1998 build 300Tdi and his doesn't have alarm or immobiliser as an export spec, so you could de-electronics the whole lot if you wanted to and just have a dumb key. ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #853733 2nd Sep 2020 1:41am
lohr500

Thanks for the information bogmaster. If the alarm needs disabling with the fob after locking with the key, then this scuppers my plan of cable tying the fob inside the steering column plastics Sad Looks like I will have to get a second fob from remotekey.com as I don't have access to Nanocom or Hawkeye to programme a new one.

Update : Just found this in an online copy of the user manual for the 1998 YY Disco with a two button fob :

LOCKING USING THE KEY
Front doors
Turn the key towards the front of the vehicle
to lock and towards the rear to unlock.
NOTE: Turning the key also arms and
disarms the anti-theft alarm.
Rear door
Turn the key towards the right side of the
vehicle to lock and to the left to unlock.
Locking the doors without activating the
alarm
By turning the key to the lock position and
then holding it in that position for at least five
seconds, the doors will be locked but the
alarm will remain inactive.
Central locking
By turning the key in the driver’s door, or
operating the locking button on the driver’s
door (from inside the vehicle), all the door
locks can be operated simultaneously.
Door sill locking buttons
From inside the vehicle, each door can be
individually locked by depressing the
appropriate button.
NOTE: As a precaution against accidentally
locking your keys inside, it is not possible to
use the locking buttons to lock the front doors
when you are leaving the vehicle - THE KEY
OR HANDSET MUST BE USED!

This would suggest that locking and unlocking with the key does enable and disable the alarm. Think some experimentation is planned as per original plan.
Post #853753 2nd Sep 2020 8:21am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Re access to a nanocom. I bet there is a member local to you that has one and would help out programming a new fob. Have a look on the nanocom group buys, see if there are local members and see if they would help out.
Post #853809 2nd Sep 2020 12:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1