↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Episode 5 - Engine and Transmission
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #850287 16th Aug 2020 10:06am
Northworthy

All this comparative chatter re modern v past, Pretender v Grenadier, manual v auto, high tech v low tech specs etc etc., deflects from the core objective of the game: selling a manufactured product in the greatest volume for the best possible profit margin. It’s a global competition and some businesses are better at it than others because they identify consumer need before others, deliver a superior quality product at a favourable price, and engage in extremely effective customer retention strategies.

There’s a market for a no or few frills utilitarian vehicle as much as there is for one with all the bells and whistles whatever gearbox shifts it along. Present a tasty menu at the right price and the consumer will gleefully tuck in.

Unfortunately the Pretender and Land Rover has so far been found woefully lacking serving up a dish with few takers and of those who have tasted it, many have sent the ingredients back into the kitchen as unpalatable. At the other restaurant consumers have not yet opened their wallets. The Grenadier has yet to be served up for public tasting so questions around the quality of ingredients, presentation of the meal, and service received are still to be tried and tested. INEOS beware.

So instead from my own experience I’ll give both menus a miss as there’s a far better place to eat. One that has been tried and tested in over 150,000kms. One that has not served up a rotten dish on any day since it first opened. One whose menu was always favourably priced and the level of service impeccable.

No Grenadier or Pretender until they’ve been through at least three revisions for me. They are both outgunned in every department by that unsung hero - not the best in class at everything or with every bell and whistle - but the humble and very capable, reliable and cost effect Freelander 2.

Her ladyship’s has never been dumped by her FL2 on the side of the road since I bought it for her new back in 2010. It’s a manual. It has been from sea level to almost 4,000mtrs ab.s.l.. It has operated at minus 35°C to plus 38°C. It has stood outside from day one in these alps and trundled over at times very muddy or snow filled alpine pastures to get to a sick or injured farmer and their family, or on holiday threading its way through desert terrain. In other words she’ll not trade this proven diesel carriage for any of the two newcomers. She tells me she’ll keep it for at least another ten years, or, until it dumps her in the middle of a snowy winters night high up on the Urnerboden. The Freelander 2 - the most sensible Land Rover designed and built since the Series One.
Post #850441 17th Aug 2020 8:24am
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Well as a Freelander 2 owner myself - I couldn’t agree more about what a wonder and underrated vehicle this is. We love ours, it does everything asked of it BRILLIANTLY. We love it and will certainly not be selling it anytime soon Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #850452 17th Aug 2020 9:53am
AT1963

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Anyone know if there will be a SWB?
Post #850472 17th Aug 2020 10:57am
Slideywindows

England 
Everyone I speak to has nothing but praise for the Freelander 2.

I wonder if the Pretender will earn itself that kind of reputation........?
Post #850606 17th Aug 2020 8:19pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Well we do hope so! For everyone’s sake, not least of all for Land Rover’s sake Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #850609 17th Aug 2020 8:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123