↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Episode 5 - Engine and Transmission
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I can't think why you would have manual over an auto. Modern autos have manual options, just no clutch. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #849875 13th Aug 2020 10:08pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I have never driven a car with an automatic gearbox so I am familiar with the manual type. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #849885 13th Aug 2020 11:18pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
100 prototypes on the road or in build. That’s not some back street outfit attempt. Really getting excited by this 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #849967 14th Aug 2020 5:05pm
adolfy

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Bronze Green
After watching episode 5, I definitely would not buy one, the no manual gearbox option was the last straw. It's DNA feels nearer to the Defender than the pretender will ever be but it will never be a Land Rover. Land Rover 1950 series 1
Land Rover LWB 1967 series 2A
Land Rover SWB 1980 series 3
Land Rover 110 Defender 2013
Post #850021 14th Aug 2020 9:30pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
It was never going to be a 300tdi tractor engine with a manul box in this day and age Rolling Eyes
Post #850025 14th Aug 2020 10:21pm
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
My suspicion is that there isn't a driveline which could take the punishment a manual box with the 3 litre diesel/petrol turbocharged engines could provide - the ZF will smooth it out considerably.

I have been fortunately enough to have had fairly extensive use of a Porsche Cayenne with what I assume is a very similar 8 speed ZF gearbox. Its super smooth, easy to drive, efficient and much less tiring in traffic.

Yet, given the choice I'd choose a manual. I find a manual more engaging to drive, it gives me pleasure getting a super smooth gearchange in, takes a little bit of the boredom out of a drive. If I was driving for a living - the auto would be very appealing. But I'm not - my drives are for pleasure, else I might as well just get home supermarket delivery in and get rid of the car altogether in 2020. 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #850029 14th Aug 2020 10:42pm
jst

There are plenty of driveline that will take the torque and bhp out there, force9s, spydertrax, dana, Toyota with Longfield to name a few.

Auto is def the way to go. Easier for anyone to use with manual gear select. Better on and off road. Most that harp on about autos being crap are thinking of old 3 speed lumps from the 80s or struggle with the changing, like left foot braking. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #850034 14th Aug 2020 10:55pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I remember in brochures for the Range Rover and fuel consumption figures were given, the manual version always gave much better fuel consumption than the automatic. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #850041 15th Aug 2020 12:25am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
And as he said, you can select "manual mode" albiet without a clutch pedal, to keep it in whatever gear you want.

best of both worlds I say.
Post #850046 15th Aug 2020 6:40am
jst

spudfan wrote:
I remember in brochures for the Range Rover and fuel consumption figures were given, the manual version always gave much better fuel consumption than the automatic.

From early auto years I dare say? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #850066 15th Aug 2020 9:02am
Tim in Scotland

Most modern cars with the choice of auto or manual shift the auto is more economical, in Evoque 2.2 diesel Auto the economy was notably better, the acceleration was a bit better in the auto too. City driving is also so much nicer in an auto than having to flex the left leg so much.
Another thing, if you put many modern auto-boxes into Sport mode they can manually shift and they will change gears in hundredths of a second without crunching the gears and they can shift up or down gears missing out intermediates if necessary just by tapping the lever/ shifter paddle several time rapidly. I do think JLR has missed a trick in the new Defender by not fitting paddle shifters, so much better to use off-road than having to take a hand of the steering wheel to tap the gear stick to perform a manual sequential up or down shift Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #850069 15th Aug 2020 9:06am
adolfy

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Bronze Green
Most modern cars with the choice of auto or manual shift the auto is more economical, in Evoque 2.2 diesel Auto the economy was notably better, the acceleration was a bit better in the auto too. City driving is also so much nicer in an auto than having to flex the left leg so much.
Another thing, if you put many modern auto-boxes into Sport mode they can manually shift and they will change gears in hundredths of a second without crunching the gears and they can shift up or down gears missing out intermediates if necessary just by tapping the lever/ shifter paddle several time rapidly. I do think JLR has missed a trick in the new Defender by not fitting paddle shifters, so much better to use off-road than having to take a hand of the steering wheel to tap the gear stick to perform a manual sequential up or down shift

My goodness how lazy have we become that we have to rest our left leg and that driving off road now requires us not to take our hands off of the steering wheel. I want simple, I want to be able to fix the vehicle myself with as little use of a code reader or a PC as possible, I want to drive the vehicle, not be driven. I want a modern Defender, not the over technical, over complicated, over sized, over priced gimmick such as the Pretender. I don't need sat nav, I have a map, I don't need an auto box, I don't need or want, to be connected to the internet or a phone 24/7. Sorry, the Ineos is no better than the Pretender but much better looking. Land Rover 1950 series 1
Land Rover LWB 1967 series 2A
Land Rover SWB 1980 series 3
Land Rover 110 Defender 2013
Post #850072 15th Aug 2020 9:38am
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
It seems the same people that are moaning about the new Defender not being a real Defender because it’s too modern, too refined etc are now the same people moaning about this for similar reasons like it’s an Automatic and it’s going to be too expensive.
All vehicles with significant capabilities are too expensive- that’s just how it is now. Have you not seen the prices of Crew Cabs from VW etc?
As for manual vs Auto, almost everything is an auto now too. They are superb gearboxes with usually the option to use them manually and they are usually both quicker and more economical that their manual versions.

Is the real problem more that those of you unhappy with everything, perhaps need to stop living in the past and get with the real modern world we are now living in? No modern vehicle manufacturer with any sense is going to produce a new vehicle (that must be profitable and sell in descent numbers) by launching something remotely similar to a vehicle (The old Defender) that for the last 15 years has been losing sales and derided my the motoring press as being woefully old fashioned and hideous to drive on the road! That is just not going to happen. Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #850088 15th Aug 2020 11:10am
diduan

Bulgaria 
For me it is all about reliability and here I think manual gearboxes have an advantage. Even broken manual usually has at least one gear to bring you home.

You can't beat simple mechanics if dimensioned properly. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #850127 15th Aug 2020 1:49pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Smilesapart wrote:
It seems the same people that are moaning about the new Defender not being a real Defender because it’s too modern, too refined etc are now the same people moaning about this for similar reasons like it’s an Automatic and it’s going to be too expensive.
All vehicles with significant capabilities are too expensive- that’s just how it is now. Have you not seen the prices of Crew Cabs from VW etc?
As for manual vs Auto, almost everything is an auto now too. They are superb gearboxes with usually the option to use them manually and they are usually both quicker and more economical that their manual versions.

Is the real problem more that those of you unhappy with everything, perhaps need to stop living in the past and get with the real modern world we are now living in? No modern vehicle manufacturer with any sense is going to produce a new vehicle (that must be profitable and sell in descent numbers) by launching something remotely similar to a vehicle (The old Defender) that for the last 15 years has been losing sales and derided my the motoring press as being woefully old fashioned and hideous to drive on the road! That is just not going to happen.

Perhaps I do live in the past and I am fairly happy there. I enjoy driving and really enjoy the Puma driving experience. I have a series 111, I accept it for what it is and enjoy driving it.
Regarding the new Defender, it just does not appeal to me. Likewise Range Rovers don't appeal to me either. Regarding INEOS and the Grenadier, I liked the concept per se but it would not be on my shopping list either, if I could afford one.
Modern car manufacturers may be moving in a direction to produce products that I do not like so I just won't buy any of them. There are undoubtedly many people who will buy them and be very pleased with their purchase. Me, I doubt if I will ever buy another car so I will be happy enough to go on as I am.
People buy cars that appeal to them and each to their own. My 1992 200 tdi has it's original engine and gearbox. I drive it as it was designed to be driven and I enjoy it. Some may regard it as a glorified tractor but tractors are very useful things.
I drive for a living so I understand that the gearbox has to be treated with sympathy and respect and I drive accordingly.
If lots of electronics and an automatic gearbox prompts someone to buy a particular car well that is their choice and they will use their hard earned money to buy it and hopefully it will fulfil their expectations. It is just not the way I want to spend my money sorry OUR money (the wife was just looking over my shoulder).
Maybe if JLR had replaced the Defender with something more "traditional", there is no guarantee that I would like that. They could have just made something that did not interest me.
I tune in to this section to hear peoples views on their new purchase and there is a curiousity to find our how JLR are rectifying problems.
I was out for a drive in the Puma today and I turned back before I drove off the edge of the world. I know it is flat, apart from all of the hills around here and I have a suspicion that the edge is just over the hills that I see from my front window. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #850246 16th Aug 2020 12:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>